UKC

Finlay Wild Welsh 3000ers record!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 16 May 2019

I believe Finlay Wild has just run the Welsh 3000ers in 4hrs 10m 48s.

For those of you in Strava, just search for Finlay Wild.

Awesome

DaveHK 16 May 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

That's stood for a long time.

pasbury 16 May 2019

I’m amazed that record has stood for so long.

The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Did he do it Snowdon to Foel Fras or the other way round?

Post edited at 22:09
 r0b 16 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Have to start on Snowdon if going for the record

In reply to pasbury:

Snowdon is 1085m, Foel fras 942m. 

You run it that way so that it's all downhill! (On average)

Tom Briggs 16 May 2019
In reply to r0b:

Amazing. Did Donnelly go direct on Pen yr Ole Wen? The film suggests not. Interesting to see Fin’s segment for that - 31:12 from the A5!

Moley 16 May 2019

Great news that someone has taken on the record at last, a bit like the BG record (Blands) it stood for so long nobody had a crack at it. 

Well done Finlay, hopefully it won't be another 30 years before it advances again.

Roadrunner6 17 May 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

I’m not sure but the film showed a different route of Crib Goch too.

awesome if this is true, Cd believed it would be broken because he slowed a lot.

r0b 17 May 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Not sure, but the film was not recorded during his record run, but afterwards over the course of a week: https://heightsofmadness.com/2018/06/10/hit-the-thing-hard/

Jim Hamilton 17 May 2019

> For those of you in Strava, just search for Finlay Wild.

The activity has been flagged??

In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> The activity has been flagged??

I don't know what you mean by "flagged", but here is a link if it helps: https://www.strava.com/athletes/1916701

In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> The activity has been flagged??

Ah, sorry, I've just had a closer look in Strava and I can see what you mean - the activity has been flagged as per this article: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917647-What-is-the-Flag-fea...

WaterMonkey 17 May 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

When we walked the route Strava logged it as 43km. His log shows just over 35km. The route down from CG was different but can't imagine that would shave 7km off.

Amazing feat none the less.

Somebody somewhere will be planning and training for a sub 4 now..

WaterMonkey 17 May 2019
In reply to 99ster:

Looks like he did the Horseshoe and set a record for that too, the day before!

Post edited at 10:11
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> When we walked the route Strava logged it as 43km. His log shows just over 35km. The route down from CG was different but can't imagine that would shave 7km off

Not sure if you counted ascent of Snowdon or walk off afterwards, but 35k is the usual summit to summit distance (21.5 miles quoted in the 1997 Clayton and Turnbull book). 

Looking at the Strava blog post he seems to have done Donnelly's CG descent, back tracking from the (true) summit on the ridge to Bwlch coch and down into Cwm uchaf, (rather than continuing over CG to the North Ridge descent). 

Post edited at 11:22
 WaterMonkey 17 May 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

We logged it from Snowdon summit to the final summit. I thought we'd done the usual route. We descended down the North ridge of CG. After Tryfan though we turned right on the A5 and ascended Pen yr Ole Wen up it's right hand route/scramble.

We followed the traditional route from this website..

https://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/routes.html

Obviously the longer route explains why we took 19 hours

Moley 17 May 2019

I wonder if he had any pacers, I'm presuming not? Solo unsupported I guess with maybe some food, water drops at the road crossings? 

We shall hear in due course.

galpinos 17 May 2019
In reply to Moley:

"Road support (gels and water) at Nant Peris and near Idwal Cottage" according to his instagram.

steveriley 20 May 2019

I've (slowly) done both the 3000s and horseshoe fairly recently. Both old records were stunning. Chin truly on floor now

Myfyr Tomos 20 May 2019

Bit of a hijack maybe but 1st day of the 2019 Dragon's Back race is coming to a close. Started in Conwy at 7am and ending at Nant Gwynant via Carneddau, Glyderau and the Snowdon Horseshoe. Galen Reynolds (Canada) in 07.37.42. Only 4 days to go!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...