UKC

/ First 100 Miler: Jurassic Coast 100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
yorkshireman - on 10 Jun 2018

I ran the JC100 from Poole to Exmouth hosted by Climb Southwest last weekend - it was my first attempt at the distance but thankfully I just about finished inside the 36 hour cutoff. Did anyone else on here do it?

It was the first running of the event at this distance - I put some words and pictures up in case anyone is interested in doing it next year and wants some perspective.

https://mountaintrailrunning.com/race-reports/race-report-jurassic-coast-100-mile/

markk on 10 Jun 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Great write up! And well done too.

mountainbagger - on 10 Jun 2018

I haven't done it but I think you ran past me! I was staying in a mobile home park by the coast path (Wyke Regis, just after Weymouth, and right after you would have crossed the road which runs to Portland). I was on the terrace overlooking the path and saw a stream of runners go by - I could almost touch their heads!

Anyway, well done

BusyLizzie on 10 Jun 2018

Very inspiring account - and well done!

yorkshireman - on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> I was staying in a mobile home park by the coast path (Wyke Regis, just after Weymouth, and right after you would have crossed the road which runs to Portland).

I remember that - the drag in from Weymouth to Chesil Beach was long and monotonous and the mist we'd been shrouded in all day didn't do much to help. I still think the hardest sections were running through the paved sections of the towns. 

Hope we didn't disturb you too much. We went through some camping grounds at 3 in the morning and I had to keep remembering not to look at the caravans with my headtorch - we must have looked like an illuminated Walking Dead by that point.

mountainbagger - on 11 Jun 2018

> Hope we didn't disturb you too much.

Not at all. I was still up - it being between 9 and 11pm (can't quite remember). There were the odd runners and then a biggish group of about 15 at one point.

I wondered whether there was an event and so looked it up as I was interested in it myself (having just been for a jog up and down the coast path from where I was staying).

Anyway, I enjoyed your write up and pics. A great achievement, well done. Good luck with your UTMB plans.

iusedtoclimb - on 13 Jun 2018

Great right up and well done on 100 mile finish

out of interest how did you record your route on Strava? What keeps battery life going for so long?

yorkshireman - on 14 Jun 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

> Great right up and well done on 100 mile finish

> out of interest how did you record your route on Strava? What keeps battery life going for so long?

Thanks everyone. For recording on Strava I used my Garmin Fenix 5 which when not using the chest HRM is good for around 20-22 hours in normal mode. I took with me a portable battery to charge both my mobile and my watch on the go - I heard some HR watches can't record and charge at the same time but luckily the Garmin can.

It means I lost some of the HR data because I couldn't wear it on my wrist while charging but at least I got the whole track down.

Alternatively you can use UltraTrac mode which reduces the GPS sampling frequency to once a minute but obviously the accuracy goes down and I've never been happy with the results.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.