UKC

FRA waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 17 Jul 2018

I expect this topic has been covered before, so I am sorry if I am taking a short cut by asking again - could anyone please recommend cheap but FRA-compliant waterproofs?

I know you get what you pay for but I am not likely to be racing under FRA rules very often

Thank you!

Lizzie

SouthernSteve 18 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Decathlon (for taped seamed and a hooded jacket) will save you a lot over a posh jacket. However something like an OMM Kamleika smock is a pleasure to wear and is so quiet compared to cheaper ones.

OP BusyLizzie 18 Jul 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thank you - i hadn't thought about noise levels

Dark-Cloud 18 Jul 2018

Quiet waterproofs, that's a new one ! Any race I have ever done all I can hear is my heart beat thumping in my head...

The New NickB 18 Jul 2018

I suppose it depends a bit on the individual, but conditions have to be pretty extreme for me to put waterproofs on during a race, if I do, worrying about noise or for hat matter breathability isn’t really a consideration. A windproof smock is the best bit of kit you can buy for fell running. I do have some expensive innov8 waterproofs, but I don’t think they offer a great deal over the cheapo Decathlon models for racing.

steveriley 18 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think I've worn my waterproof trousers 3 or 4 times in many years, so I'd go cheap on them. Maybe something like https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1224/higher-state-trail-waterproof-l... ?

Tom Briggs 18 Jul 2018
In reply to steveriley:

Sportsshoes are also selling last season's Montane Minimus jacket for £80.

steveriley 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Absolute bargain at that price

SouthernSteve 18 Jul 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

you -> proper runner

me -> very slow runner. !!

OP BusyLizzie 19 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all!

I've never run in waterproof trousers and - like lots of people i guess - am only going to be carrying them because the rules require them. I expect I'll get more use out of the jacket/smock.

Happy running, all. Difficult to imagine rain at the moment...

DancingOnRock 19 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Trousers will last a lifetime then. Spend the money and you can use them for other activities. 

OP BusyLizzie 19 Jul 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Aye, you have a point.

The New NickB 19 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I’m not convinced. Trousers that fit the bill for fell running will not be great for anything other than fell running. 

DancingOnRock 20 Jul 2018

Does anyone actually wear trousers for fell running? Aren’t they safety gear? To be carried in emergency. 

The New NickB 20 Jul 2018

> Does anyone actually wear trousers for fell running? Aren’t they safety gear? To be carried in emergency. 

Yes, too light for any use which might necessitate using them regularly.

Dark-Cloud 20 Jul 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Pete Bland Sports have theses listed under FRA kit, they know a thing or too about fell races and wouldn’t put stuff there if it was no use

https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/highlander-stow-go-trouser_6533.htm

DancingOnRock 20 Jul 2018

“Regularly” and “Other activities” aren’t really the same thing are they?

The New NickB 20 Jul 2018

> “Regularly” and “Other activities” aren’t really the same thing are they?

I don’t know, you haven’t given any examples!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...