UKC

FRA website-hacked?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Every time I try and access the FRA forums, I see nothing but a pro-Syrian opposition propoganda page. Anyone else?!

Ed
 Banned User 77 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Days on Rock: I'm not sure.. I just think the FRA are getting more politically minded..

Its pro-Assad isn't it? I think Breezey must be a fan..
notaclue 13 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I thought it was part of stolly's bob graham preparations
In reply to Days on Rock:

Just refreshed the page and I get the same. It's just the forums not the main FRA site. Other sites hosted by the same company aren't affected either. Brett will be aware of it and get his gnomes to sort it out, not sure if any threads will be lost.

ALC
 steveriley 13 Sep 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
Oh dear. If you scroll right down there's a badly rendered version of the regular page ...not in a rush to start clicking though
In reply to SteveRi:

Now back to normal, well as normal as a group of knobbly knee'd runners can be

ALC
 Banned User 77 13 Sep 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Its now down..

Presumably so they can upload some more political stances..
In reply to IainRUK:

And breathe, it's back

ALC
 Steve John B 13 Sep 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: And down again...

All this up, down, up, down is a bit too much like exercise for me
 Banned User 77 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve John B: Again....
 mikekeswick 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Days on Rock: umm now i've got a message about a sizzling soul
 ablackett 21 Sep 2013
In reply to mikekeswick: Is it still down for everyone else?
 Banned User 77 21 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: yeah, I notice its migrated to FB..
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ablackett) yeah, I notice its migrated to FB..

Oh, cr*p!

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber: Yep-so long fell running news and views for non-Facebook users! Still no news on the website. Lakelands Classics Trophy website down as well; is this the most ill-judged/irrelevant cyber attack ever?!
Moley 22 Sep 2013
A real pain, will they be able to bring it back again? I don't do facebook so that's no good.
 steelbru 22 Sep 2013
What's the Facebook page/group called ? Tried searching "FRA" and "Fell Runnning Association" but couldn't see it

Thanks
In reply to Moley:

I'll ask Brett when I see him. There's nothing on the main FRA site at the moment. The forums have been hacked before, they lost all the postings that time

ALC
 Banned User 77 22 Sep 2013
In reply to steelbru: https://www.facebook.com/groups/44498401718/

Fell Runners Association
 mbh 22 Sep 2013

Why, does anyone think, have supporters of the Syrian opposition to Assad chosen to hack the creaky website of a minority sport of interest to almost no-one but the few who do it?

Why don't they just set up their own web site? It's not as if they are getting much publicity by doing this, as if, say, they had hacked the BBC website, or Amazon.

I don't get it.
Moley 22 Sep 2013
The home page etc. is up, surprised they haven't put something on there as to why the forum is down - but I don't understand this technology stuff.
I've been on the forum virtually since it started, beginning to feel someone has cut one of my limbs off (sad, I know).
In reply to Moley:

Basically most web pages are read only, i.e. you and I can't alter them but forums run software that allow us to add our content. The Syrian attack simply trawls the web looking for this software (or more likely a particular version of it) and hack in to it.

I would have thought that there would be a note on the main FRA page about it.

Several other sites that I know are hosted by the same firm ( http://kcac.co.uk ) are still up and running.

ALC
Moley 23 Sep 2013
Is this enough justification to bomb Syria? That might help!
 yorkshireman 23 Sep 2013
In reply to mbh:
> (In reply to Days on Rock)
>
> Why, does anyone think, have supporters of the Syrian opposition to Assad chosen to hack the creaky website of a minority sport

Because they can.

The site obviously wasn't protected against the most common hacking techniques - they would have sniffed out thousands of sites, and done the same elsewhere. You've seen the propaganda page when you probably otherwise wouldn't have, so in the eyes of the hackers - job done.

Steve John B 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Days on Rock: It's back up - and looks totally different. Presumably they've upgraded the software (or whatever it is you do) to stop the hackage. Old posts still there too. Good work Brett.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...