UKC

GPS watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Patriot 28 Jun 2012
Hi Guys I'm looking for a GPS watch to monitor progress when running cross country.
Preferably one I can down load onto a computer so I can see the data and map where I've been.
can anyone recommend one? I've been told that the Garmin is pretty good.

Cheers
Gareth.
 The New NickB 28 Jun 2012
In reply to gleaney:

There are quite a few different models of Garmin, the 110 is the base model, 610 is the top featured running model, 310 and 910 are multisport models with better waterproofing and longer battery life. I tend to just use time / speed / distance in real time, then splits for analysis later. I have 610, but don't use all the features. Have a look on the Garmin website for the features that each model has.
 Indy 28 Jun 2012
In reply to gleaney:

I've also got a 610 but that came about after a lot of checking internet reviews and speaking to people. Have to warn you it isn't cheap but I've found its really improved my running. The only issue I've had with it is that the back panel has rusted badly.

This is NOT me but take a look at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193555993 for the sorts of things the 610 can record and analyse.

This guy completely rocks
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

With quality reviews of all? of Garmin's Forerunner watches.

I have no idea what your budget is or what sort of running you do but one piece of advice I will give is that you should stay away from the Garmin Forerunner 405 the one with the touch bezel. It might be on sale cheap but I used one and it was a dog.
 hokkyokusei 28 Jun 2012
In reply to gleaney:

If all you want is distance, speed, time, pace and a GPS track of where you have been then the Garmin FR 110 will do all of that. If you want to do intervals race against previous runs etc, you need to look higher up the range. I have one and am very happy with it. I also get heart rate from the chest strap.
 haydn 28 Jun 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
I second the 110 with a heart rate monitor. I really only wanted something to record my runs, rather than provide fancy stats and functions during the run itself. The 110 has been great so far (although I can only get one full day out of the battery, so on a weekend away I never get to record the Sunday!).
In reply to gleaney: I've had a Suunto Ambit for a few weeks now, not a massive runner but it seems to do everything I'd ever want!
 The New NickB 28 Jun 2012
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Does it rely on a separate GPS 'pod'?
 Indy 28 Jun 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I know you probably don't think you want or need them now but Virtual Partner and Virtual Racer are well worth the upgrade from 110 to 210 in my view.
OP The Patriot 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy: Hi there thanks for your reply. Have you had any issues regarding charging?
 hokkyokusei 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to hokkyokusei)
>
> I know you probably don't think you want or need them now but Virtual Partner and Virtual Racer are well worth the upgrade from 110 to 210 in my view.

That may well be true but right now I'm not missing what I've never had
 Indy 29 Jun 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:

My last thought on the subject... your right but the worst thing in the world is finding out about it then having the option of either dumping the watch and paying for a whole new one or knowing that your doing without a well useful feature.

Then again just took a look at it and its about an additional £50 cost (I thought it was less).

Anyway what ever you decide have fun it is after all about the running!
OP The Patriot 01 Jul 2012
In reply to gleaney: Cheers guys. I decided to get a Garmin 210. Thanks for all your helpful advice. It seams to be the best one that suits my needs. Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...