UKC

How to set heart rate alerts on phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TommyC 27 Apr 2023

Bought a Polar H9 HRM and synced it with the Polar beat app, I want to set an alert or alarm to go off when I go outside my target hear rate zone but can’t work out how? Googled it and am still completely lost? Anyone know how?

OP TommyC 28 Apr 2023
In reply to TommyC:

Or does anyone know of an android app that can support this? All I can find is Adidas run but it's £8 a month.

montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to TommyC:

I had this question not too long ago and came to the conclusion it isn't currently possible (at least not with free apps).

Ended up buying a Garmin watch.

ianstevens 28 Apr 2023
In reply to TommyC:

Shock service that costs money to run isn't free

montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Shock service that costs money to run isn't free

A heart rate alarm wouldn't need access to a server to work and could be entirely local to the phone so it wouldn't cost anything to develop and run other than someone's initial input time.

Development time hasn't stopped hundreds of thousands of free apps being created that do far more complex activities than a heart rate alarm to generate passive revenue through advertisement so I don't get your point.

Then there's the question around why the Polar Beats app doesn't have alarms. My Garmin watch is free to use and has alarms. Sure I paid for the watch, but Tommy paid for the heart rate monitor. 

The more I think about it, the more I realise that your comment is a bit dumb.

UKC isn't free to run. How much do you pay for it?

Post edited at 09:54
 ianstevens 28 Apr 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

> > Shock service that costs money to run isn't free

> A heart rate alarm wouldn't need access to a server to work and could be entirely local to the phone so it wouldn't cost anything to develop and run other than someone's initial input time.

Which isn't free. Unless of course you turn up to work and don't expect to get paid? 

> Development time hasn't stopped hundreds of thousands of free apps being created that do far more complex activities than a heart rate alarm to generate passive revenue through advertisement so I don't get your point.

Do you want adverts on your free HR alarm app? 

> Then there's the question around why the Polar Beats app doesn't have alarms. My Garmin watch is free to use and has alarms. Sure I paid for the watch, but Tommy paid for the heart rate monitor. 

This is the real question - not a great show from Polar IMO.

> The more I think about it, the more I realise that your comment is a bit dumb.

Just going to ignore this unnecessary addition.

> UKC isn't free to run. How much do you pay for it?

I'm happy with the adverts thanks (which I sometimes use to make purchases), and pay for Rockfax Digital when I need it and have plenty of Rockfax guides.

OP TommyC 28 Apr 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

What service? I paid for a device and its associated app that operates via Bluetooth to my phone and also paid for the phone and contract as well. Its quite a simple feature. 

The Adidas run app would be £96 a year, it offers less features than Strava (which I already have) which is £60 a year. Unfortunately Strava doesn't haven't an alert system. Shall I just keep throwing money at it just to get a fairly simple feature to work? 

I would happily pay a few quid for an app that does alerts/ alarms, I just can't find one for android.

montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Which isn't free. Unless of course you turn up to work and don't expect to get paid? 

No, you said "Shock service that costs money to run isn't free" implying that there's an ongoing cost to the creator. I'm explaining that there wouldn't be any cost for it to run for the creator.

> Do you want adverts on your free HR alarm app? 

I think most of the apps on my phone have adverts. If they don't cause a nuisance, the app remains. If it's in your face all the time the app is removed. So provided it's done well I wouldn't mind adverts on my HR alarm app.

> This is the real question - not a great show from Polar IMO.

So why did you respond to Tommy saying "Shock service that costs money to run isn't free" when you know he bought the kit and you agree it should have an alarm? 

montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to TommyC:

I thought this seemed familiar. I've seen this comment before: 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/running/is_there_a_free_simple_android_ap...

OP TommyC 28 Apr 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Yes, apparently we are all just tight fisted Scrooge's!

OP TommyC 28 Apr 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

I would like to upgrade to a GPS watch in future but it might have to wait and save up as I want one with a strong battery life and BNG for hiking etc.

OP TommyC 29 Apr 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Finally found one for android called Cardio Training, it's fairly basic but has an audible alarm. Tried it this evening and it worked well.

montyjohn 02 May 2023
In reply to TommyC:

cool, it's a good job I like the watch I bought otherwise I'd be annoyed now

CantClimbTom 08 May 2023
In reply to TommyC:

Sorry. Sell your polar on eBay as unused.

Use the money to buy yourself something from kinetik, not necessarily this one but here's the idea https://www.kinetikwellbeing.com/fitness-devices/heart-rate-monitor-hrm4/ (out of stock direct, but available from other outlets).

The days when polar were cheap (ish) and simple are long gone it's all smart watches with subscription apps these days. Kinetik is used by NHS, it's cheap, simple and works. Double check which models come with a training zone alarm as I can't remember 

Post edited at 07:43
OP TommyC 08 May 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Damn, a bit late now! They look like the old Polar ones, had one about 12 years back, it was great!

Ridge 08 May 2023

In reply to Amilia:

AI has it's uses…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...