UKC

I am running a marathon after a holiday...advice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mikelat 04 Apr 2018

Hi everyone!!!

My husband just booked a two weeks holiday to Asia next April and we just realised we will be coming back on the 13th of April 7am. 

We are due to run the Brighton Marathon on Sunday the 14th of April,I already had to defer this year so unfortunately that is not an option for 2019.

Can anyone experienced advise me if it is a good idea to do the marathon the day after I arrive?? Various people are telling me to just give it up and try maybe in 2020.

Thank you all!!!

Dark-Cloud 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

Good idea ? Probably not.

Possible ? Probably yes.

Seriously though there are so many variables to this and ultimately only you know the answer.

Post edited at 12:48
Removed User 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

Not great but if the marathon is in the morning then your body clock will thinking it's late afternoon so perhaps a very early night and a very early rise on the morning of the race would be the thing to do.

I'd be concerned over what you do on holiday and whether you can get a proper taper in to finish your training.

summo 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

If you can run the distance anyway, you'll be ok, but it's not likely to be your best performance. You are likely to go down with a cold afterwards, the combination of jet lag, germ sharing and a marathon will hammer your immune system. 

Mikelat 04 Apr 2018
In reply to summo:

I am starting my training now as it is my first full marathon. My holiday will be a lot of walking and siteseeing, not sitting drinking all day really...

summo 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

> I am starting my training now as it is my first full marathon. My holiday will be a lot of walking and siteseeing, not sitting drinking all day really...

It is doable. You'll have plenty miles in over a year, try and find a gym or hotel with a running machine, or go for a run locally together (often the best way to sight see in the early morning, less pollution and people ), that way you'll keep a spring in your step whilst you taper down. 

Jon Greengrass 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

keep away from the all you can eat buffet

mountainbagger 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

I have done this, though admittedly it was only 1 week in Devon not 2 weeks in Asia! It also happened to be the Brighton Marathon I was coming back to.

On the holiday I tried to go running to keep the legs moving but it never felt great, which just made me worry more about the marathon. One of the runs along the coast path was lovely, but my legs weren't half complaining about it!

I ate out and about and more stodgy fare than usual (I was on hols!). I also drank a reasonable amount of alcohol. I didn't sleep as well due to staying up a bit later and perhaps the alcohol and different surroundings. We were out every day either cycling or walking around attractions.

On marathon day (the day after a 5 hour drive to get home) I felt reasonably OK on the start line, but after about 3-4 miles I felt quite sluggish and tired and it turned into a bit of a slog. I didn't get the time I was hoping for. This could have happened anyway, but I'm fairly sure I was a bit heavier and more tired than I would have been. So, I got round, but not very fast.

My advice: give it a go, make sure you've done all the training before you go on hols and enjoy yourself (within reason). Try and run when you can to keep the legs moving. Do not expect to get a great time - but you will be able to finish if you've done the training before the holiday. If this is your first marathon, there's loads of other stuff that can go wrong anyway (weather, nutrition/hydration, chafing etc.). If you enjoy it, you can always enter another one which isn't just after a holiday.

Mikelat 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Luckily I am not a drinker so the alcohol side of things does not worry me. It is my first marathon so I will be worried anyway :O

I am not too bothered with my timing, as it is my first I will be just happy to finish it.

I will keep you updated and see what I decide to do

thank you!!

Roadrunner6 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

My half marathon pb was set the day after a transatlantic flight. I'd avoid eating on the flight and get a good nights sleep.

Marmoteer 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

I agree with what most are saying; you will be tired and jet lagged.  You will have to try and get some sleep to fit in with the new time zone.

Make sure you are well hydrated in the flight back...once through security, make sure you buy plenty of water to stash in your hand luggage for the flight.

As distance events are a slight head game, there are some positives to take away:

Asia will give you some heat training, this should improve your running ability.

You should be tapering over your holiday period anyway, so you’re not missing too much training...most training in the last 2 weeks is to keep you ticking over, a slight loss of fitness massively outweighed by having fresh legs.

Mikelat 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Marmoteer:

Thank you! 

I will try my best

SouthernSteve 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

It is possible, but I would be far too stiff after that kind of flight and would not. Also is the race 'hanging over you' going to change your holiday. If so I might give it a miss and book for another next spring.  

BobtheBagger 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mikelat:

Hi, I'd say it is certainly do-able, especially as it's your first and you will just be glad to finish, rather than be chasing a time. Get an entry in to another marathon six months later, that way you can use Brighton as practice and go to the next one to improve your Brighton performance. Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...