UKC

Insoles for sore heels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 26 Feb 2021

Recently I've been getting mildly sore heels when running, which I've never experienced before. I know people use insoles for sore joints, or fallen arches, but does anyone use them purely for extra cushioning? If so, what's your experience... good/bad?

As a side note, I've realised I'm a heel striker so have already tried to adjust my running style, and the discomfort only really happens at 15+ miles. 

Thanks

wbo2 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry: alternatively change shoes? 

Are you a heel striker at all distances or only when tired? 

wbo2 26 Feb 2021
In reply to wbo2: oh, I see you say only af 15 miles? Is your 'style ' breaking down at that point? Get stronger, start slower. ? 

I am always suspicious when people change their running style according to a theory 

Garethza 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry:

Get a pair of superfeet insoles and see if that helps with the heel pain, also dont try and change your running style as it will just mess something else up as its not normal for your body, atleast this is what i was told at a running shop ! 

mountainbagger 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry:

Don't change your running style! There be dragons...and I speak from bitter experience. Heel striking isn't necessarily wrong. Strengthen your feet, glutes, calves etc.

I tried Enertor insoles but I'm not convinced as the cushioning causes more torquing (?) on landing. Also, not sure where your heel pain is exactly but be careful. If it emerges after 15 miles then it likely isn't Achilles insertional tendonitis or plantar fascitis as these things tend to hurt more when not warmed up, e.g. getting out of bed in the morning. But you really don't want those injuries. Again, bitter experience!

Jack 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry:

Do change your running style.

After years of heel striking and injury setbacks that kept me limited to about 30 miles per week, I jumped on the bare foot bandwagon about 12 years ago.

Starting with about 1/4 mile, slowly built it up over 6 months or so.

Now I run with a mid foot strike, and have not had an injury that has stopped me running for years.

I run mostly on fells in innov8 mud claws with no insoles. A bit of road now and then in worn out mud claws.

Have a look at the pose method (technical) or chi running (easier to implement). Worth getting 'ready to run' by Kerry Starret and the trigger point therapy workbook to help prevent niggles becoming injuries.

A change in style was the only way forward for me, but it must be done really very slowly. 

mountainbagger 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Jack:

> A change in style was the only way forward for me, but it must be done really very slowly. 

Ok, yes I agree that it isn't necessarily wrong to change running style but various forums are littered with injured people doing too much too soon. Going barefoot and striking naturally (which tends to be midfoot or near-midfoot) as a result, with the accompanying foot and leg strengthening exercises can and does work (as you have experienced). This is different to remaining in cushioned shoes and simply trying to forefoot strike (which isn't great either) instead of heel striking (a mistake I made!).

As you suggested by recommending a specific approach, if the OP does their research into running with minimalist footwear (not zero drop as some shoes are zero drop but still cushioned), strengthens their feet, calves and glutes etc., and takes it very slowly then it might pay off after several months (or years even). They will be weaned off cushioned shoes at that point.

Have you considered barefoot or minimalist shoes (e.g. Xero) for the road rather than the old inov8? Those would still have some stack height, so not ideal if running "barefoot".

Jack 27 Feb 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Your point about too much too soon is the key I think. If a runner wants to change to a mid / fore foot strike, it's got do be done from scratch. It won't work if they were to carry on with normal milage, just landing differently. As you say, that's going to result in injuries.

> Have you considered barefoot or minimalist shoes (e.g. Xero) for the road rather than the old inov8? Those would still have some stack height, so not ideal if running "barefoot".

I've had various pairs of minimalist zero drop shoes over the years, I just haven't replaced them as they've worn out. I've found the old mudclaws don't affect my midfoot strike (I think they have a 6mm drop and not much cushioning) so it makes sense (cheap) to downgrade them to road when the lugs wear out - I only run roads once or twice a week, the rest on fells.

OP Derry 27 Feb 2021
In reply to wbo2:

All distances. I did a 6 mile as fast as I could, and on pavement with probably not the best pair of shoes made it very apparent. Not been the same since, even after a couple of weeks rest. Just hoping I haven't done permanent damage as I've done a fair few marathons and a couple of ultras and never had a problem before. 

Acrux 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry:

Check out footprint insoles, they're pretty pricey, but they're amazing. They're designed for skateboarding, but I have found them great for everyday use

Ciro 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Derry:

> Recently I've been getting mildly sore heels when running, which I've never experienced before. I know people use insoles for sore joints, or fallen arches, but does anyone use them purely for extra cushioning? If so, what's your experience... good/bad?

> As a side note, I've realised I'm a heel striker so have already tried to adjust my running style, and the discomfort only really happens at 15+ miles. 

> Thanks

If you put extra cushioning in, you naturally hit the ground harder, as you'll be seeking to push down through it to the stability at the bottom.

This puts more wear and tear on knees, hips, spine. 

As Jack says above, if you go right back to basics and start with really short runs, you can correct your stride and vastly reduce your inquiry odds. Barefoot worked for me.

wbo2 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Ciro: One interpretation, or personal situation... personally if I try to run hard in Hoka Cliftons for example I get in trouble and very sore as they don't provide any rebound and I overcompensate for that.  

To the OP - I'm a bit cynical that adding a mm or 2 of fairly dump foam is a magic cure for sore feet caused by rubbish shoes. I don't have much truck with cushioned socks either. I doubt you've done any permanent damage, but let your legs recover for a few weeks and don't do the same thing again. 

Re. - heel striking.  Have you asked someone to watch you ?  Self diagnosis can be overly critical.  

Ciro 01 Mar 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> One interpretation, or personal situation... 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-35980-6

mountainbagger 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Ciro:

Interesting, thank you.

Incidentally, I think wbo2 was giving you an example of his personal experience with the very cushioned Clifton's, so in a sense agreeing with your point that cushioning is or could be a paradox.

Ciro 02 Mar 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Thanks, guess I misread that 😁

Jon Greengrass 04 Mar 2021
In reply to Derry:

Another vote here for barefoot shoes, proper technique and building distances up over time, starting with walking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...