UKC

Jacket for running in rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 08 Jun 2017
Mostly off road and fells.
What would you recommend? (If anything?)
Thanks.
 Rampikino 08 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I have a lovely Ron Hill with the little disc lights that can be used at night. Bright yellow so visible too.

Only issue is that it doesn't have integrated hood so doesn't pass FRA mandatory kit criteria.
 ClimberEd 08 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

If you can afford it I run in an Arcteryx Psiphon.

I actually bought it as superlight top for ski touring and climbing but it is also the only jacket I have ever found that I am happy running in and don't overheat. It's a thin softshell so will only keep the worst of the weather off.

Can't recommend it highly enough.
 Rampikino 08 Jun 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

> but it is also the only jacket I have ever found that I am happy running in and don't overheat.

This is the key - you need to be happy running long distances in it. I'm running the Yorkshire 3 Peaks on Saturday - going to rain a lot. I'm very happy doing this in my Ron Hill. Make sure you can go mile after mile in it.
 ClimberEd 08 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

Oh, and I have just seen the current price. Eeeek. Sorry.

I got it for half that in some weird pre release offer.
 SouthernSteve 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I've got an OMM Kamleika which is very light and so not as hot as some, but it needs washing regularly to keep its breathability and it is still quite sweaty. However, I wore it in the peak on Monday when it was raining stair-rods and it did its job. I have the smock version.
 solostoke 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

OMM Kamleika for me as well. I haven't washed or treated mine and it's a few years old and still going strong. Works perfectly and I wear it on chilly dry days to keep warm too. Can't rate it highly enough.
 yorkshireman 09 Jun 2017
In reply to solostoke:

> OMM Kamleika for me as well. I haven't washed or treated mine and it's a few years old and still going strong. Works perfectly and I wear it on chilly dry days to keep warm too. Can't rate it highly enough.

My wife has this and its extremely good. I've got the Salomon Bonatti which is fine but nothing amazing - fine during intermittent showers but the hood can't be stowed or adjusted which I find annoying especially in windy conditions.

I've got the 80km Mont Blanc in a few weeks and CCC in September so looking to upgrade to something that is good for hours and hours of running too. I also need to get some waterproof bottoms. I thought about the Innov-8 Race Pant but will probably go and try a few things in my local running store at the weekend.
 JuneBob 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I use the OMM Aeon, works for me, <200g.

I use it for skiing as well.

But it seems there's a lot of new stuff out there, e.g. Arc’teryx Norvan SL or the Salomon S-LAB Hybrid Jacket (90g!).
 DanClimber 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I have Ron Hill as well and it's best jacket, cos is visible( bright colour) even in the dark. Price is good. The other one one OMM Kamleika Race Jacket II, its expensive, but its awesome, warm, waterproof, windproof.
 tony 09 Jun 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I've got the 80km Mont Blanc in a few weeks and CCC in September so looking to upgrade to something that is good for hours and hours of running too. I also need to get some waterproof bottoms. I thought about the Innov-8 Race Pant but will probably go and try a few things in my local running store at the weekend.

If you/your wife rate the Kamleika jacket, you could probably do worse than than try the Kamleika trousers.

To the OP: I have an Arcteryx Norvan (half price from SportsPursuit, but still expensive), which is good, but the hood can't be stowed, which is annoying. I've also had the Kamleika jacket, but found the fit a bit baggy, and the sleeves very long.

Whatever you get, you'll still get sweaty and damp inside.
 plyometrics 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

OMM Kamleika.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

My favourite is the Montane Minimus, the only one I've tried to keep me dry while still breathing. Some people agree, some don't find it that good - could be variations in quality, or variations in how much people sweat

I've had two Kamleikas, both were great until they were washed/reproofed at which point they both stopped keeping me dry. But many others have found differently...
 Marcus B 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I really like the Kamleika. Its great and keeps you dry.
I also bought this a few weeks back and it is also really good but not such a good fit as the other one but this is a much better price http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-aeon-jacket/
 galpinos 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I have too options:

Berghaus Vapourlight Smock - This was bought in a sale as a jacket to carry for FRA rules but hoping not to have to use it. However, having run in it a few times, it's better than one might imagine but still has that plastic bag feel to it so nit great against the skin if just over a vest/t-shirt

Mountain Equipment Firefly Smock - This is Gore-Tex Active and is my go to shell for actually running in the rain. Better breathability than the Berghaus and a great fit. Lasted well and coped with multiple washes and re-proofs.

I do have some OMM kamelika trousers but they are the sweatiest things I have ever worn so have replace them tih eh mountain equipment Gore Active trousers that mach the jacket.
Ferret 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I'm baffled in waterproof jackets...

I've had a Montane Minimus which started leaking like a sieve and was refunded
I replaced with Omm Kamleika which I loved fit and feel of but which did the same and was also refunded (in both cases the manufacturer agreed flaw at about 11 months old and didn't have stock to replace so issued refund via retailer)
I now have an Innov8 - just over a year old and also leaks like a sieve...

Losing will to live. I don't tent to wear unless it's proper bad so none have had hard lives. On shorter runs I prefer to just get wet so they only come out for long runs and dire weather. I tend to go a while thinking it's just sweat and me letting water in at neck etc and ignore it for a while, then eventually I take them out for a fully done up tight, hoods up short run in a downpour just to check and find I'm wet all over - very wet - not sweat wet as on my test runs I take it easy and don't go far.

What on earth am I doing wrong or do I have corrosive sweat??
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

Has anyone tried Columbia OutDry Extreme? The one with the waterproof layer on the outside not the inside. It was launched with some fanfare in the US, was worn and praised by last year's Spine winner, but seems to have had a very low key UK launch and I've never seen one either in the shops or on the hill.

The new Haglofs Black Anorak looks good as well and initial reviews are promising, but I'm not paying £250 for a lightweight waterproof!
Martin Penrice 16 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I've an inov8 storm shell find that a good jacket for wet weather
 bouldery bits 16 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:
Montane Atomic for me - but it's really for when it's chilly. Nicely well built tho.

In light rain or short runs I just pop on a Patagonia Houdini which works ok for the job but obviously isn't a full weight waterproof.
Post edited at 19:58
 wbo 16 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox: I've got a couple. I have a Salomon thing that packs very small and weighs 150 grams or so, and is quite effective.

However , for everyday use in the Norwegian winter it's just too light - it won't last many weeks of daily use, as is the case with the super light jackets. Most of the time I use an adidas climaproof jacket that is good in the wind, ok in light rain, breathes well and has survived some hundreds of days, and fits pretty well too

Michael-H 16 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

If you're a mean bstrd like me, the Alpkit Arro at around 30 quid is a lightweight, packable, run, cycle rain proof, windproof jacket,(I don't think they claim that it is fully waterproof) a bit minimal, small pack size, haven't used it for running in persistent p+ssing down rain, but for a 2 hr run in mixed on off rain showers it did the job well, have used it on a wet Audax cycle ride in changeable weather too and it worked well, there are probably much more breathable jackets, for persistent rain and prolonged wear, but this seems to do the job most of the time for the stuff I tend to do, without spending too much money.
DanielByrd 17 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I use a Salomon which is light and suits most weathers, and a Montane Atomic when it gets colder
In reply to Ferret:
>What on earth am I doing wrong or do I have corrosive sweat??

I spoke to TNF about a jacket that had given up being waterproof, and their reply was could be anything used in the home caused it, but specifically mentioned things like perfumes, aftershaves, household sprays, etc, just being used in the vincinity of the jacket. When you add in detergents, fabric softners and other things still on clothes worn underneath, there probably is no way of knowing what is really the problem. TNF then just said to regularly wash jackets in future, keep them dry when not in use (as even storing slightly damp could ruin the lining coating) and avoid all contact with any chemicals the best you can.

Maybe just their way to walk away, but they may have some valid point? Maybe even more so for runners with lighter weight gear and due to the heat/sweat? Just a thought.
Martin Penrice 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I wash mine by hand with little bit of washing powder then hang out to dry . I've heard that you shouldn't wash waterproof stuff with fabric conditioner don't know how true it is tho
 mbh 17 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I have a Montane and a Brooks running jacket/over things for rain. Both make me really sweaty even for a 5m run around town. Hence I either avoid running in the rain or accept that I am going to get wet and wallow in it. I live in the south where it is warm.
 Tom Last 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I have one of those and love it.
Ferret 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Interesting thanks - don't use aftershave or deodorant's etc, always dry them carefully - the rest of that lot I can't really help much, bit of residual detergent or whatever on t-shirts underneath I guess. Sounds rather 'not fit for purpose' if the finishes are that delicate, which may be why 2 have been refunded without any great issue.
 ohsmeg 22 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:
I have used a Ron Hill Vizion waterproof for 2 years. Very pleased with it. Has integrated attached hood as per FRA mandatory kit requirements. Very comfortable, flexible, no surplus material to flap. My jacket is a women's model but I would expect the men's version to perform just as well. I wash it in Nikwax - not required by Ron Hill but I think it's worth it to help preserve its waterproofness. Worn many times in Cairngorm foothills, it can stand up to cold, crap winter weather. Have also worn it in warmer weather a number of times in Haldon Forest in Devon (lovely place, I visit regularly). Not sweaty in use, whether in Cairngorms or Devon. Very light to carry too and packs reasonably small. Can't praise it enough.
Post edited at 14:31
OP The Fox 24 Jun 2017

thanks all,

i've opted for the Kamleika and i'll see how i get on.
 SouthernSteve 24 Jun 2017
In reply to The Fox:

I hope its the OMM one and not a waterproof pullover shirt made of dried animal intestines!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...