UKC

Jim Mann breaks 24-hour Munros record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petestack 10 Jul 2017
http://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/NewsItems.aspx?NewsItemID=42286

'Jim Mann has broken Jon Broxap's long-standing (1988) 24-hour Munros record, achieving 30 full Munro summits over 7th/8th July on a route taking in the White Mounth, both sides of Glen Shee and a substantial core of the Cairngorms. More details when we've got them with 'Long-Distance Records' update to follow but, for now, simple congratulations to Jim for both this significant achievement and what looks to be inspired routing (at a lengthy 88.6 miles!) away from the tried and tested alternatives of the West Highlands.'

What can I add to my own words above but another great run for Jim!
 J Brown 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

That's amazing!

Inspiring stuff!
OP petestack 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:
Just worked out the route by cross-referencing Jim's Strava track to the map. So, starting and finishing at Invercauld Bridge near Braemar, we have:

Invercauld Bridge
Cac Carn Beag (Lochnagar)
Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach
Carn an t-Sagairt Mòr
Cairn Bannoch
Broad Cairn
Tolmount
Tom Buidhe
Carn an Tuirc
Cairn of Claise
Glas Maol
Creag Leacach
Carn Aosda
The Cairnwell
Carn a' Gheòidh
An Socach
Glas Tulaichean
Carn an Righ
Beinn Iutharn Mhòr
Carn Bhac
Beinn Bhrotain
Monadh Mòr
Sgor an Lochain Uaine
Cairn Toul
Bod an Deamhain (aka The Devil's Point)
Carn a' Mhaim
Ben Macdui
Derry Cairngorm
Beinn Mheadhoin
Beinn a' Chaorainn
Beinn Bhreac
Invercauld Bridge

This is far from obvious stuff, covering significantly more ground but less ascent than the 'traditional' Western alternatives, and completed faster than any of them in an impressive 22 hours 5 minutes. A true runner's round!
Post edited at 11:10
 tony 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

Bloody hell! That's astonishing! Most normal people would think that was decent week-long back-packing trip! Presumably at some point someone will work out the total ascent.
OP petestack 10 Jul 2017
In reply to tony:

> Presumably at some point someone will work out the total ascent.

Strava says 21,609ft, but I've not been quoting that because I don't know how Strava calculates it. My guess would be a little more if, say, the track were drawn on/imported to mapping software and measured, but still way short of the 34,000/35,000ft associated with the Belton and Broxap rounds.

OP petestack 10 Jul 2017
 andrew ogilvie 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

A fine effort. Oddly enough I was on the hills in glen shee a few weeks ago , for the first time in decades, and had exactly that thought: that there could be scope for a big tally of Munros in a day's round especially given the "flatter" nature of the terrain there than in kintail or lochaber. For me, though, those thoughts are entirely speculative.
Well done Jim for acting on the impulse.
 Jack Frost 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

That is an impressive round!

Having not looked at his Strava route or a map, is that list of peaks the order he summited? Just wondered the logic of going between Creag Leacach and Carn Aosda, instead of Creag Leacach --> Cairnwell --> Carn Aosda? And if he still had 1hr 55min to spare he could have fitted Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon in for good measure! (Only joking).

Inspired!

OP petestack 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Jack Frost:
> Having not looked at his Strava route or a map, is that list of peaks the order he summited?

Strava is here (also just added the link to SHR record page):
https://www.strava.com/activities/1075818431

The list is my list taken from the Strava in order of visiting.

> Just wondered the logic of going between Creag Leacach and Carn Aosda, instead of Creag Leacach --> Cairnwell --> Carn Aosda?

You'd need to ask Jim the logic (and I'm hoping he'll enlighten us), but I'd guess at trade-off of gradients/terrain vs. distance.

> And if he still had 1hr 55min to spare he could have fitted Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon in for good measure! (Only joking).

Without joking, Shane Ohly suggests on Facebook that Jim had considered up to 35 Munros but 'wanted to play it safe'! So now we can all have fun guessing which three additional Cairngorms summits he might have gone for (unless he was thinking Mayar and Driesh or even An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir?), and I'd be surprised if Beinn a' Bhuird isn't one of them...
Post edited at 13:51
In reply to petestack:

14 minute miles!!! Novice.

I can do my local flat 5k in less than 8m/miles.

Needs to speed up a bit.
 Dave Hewitt 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Jack Frost:

> Just wondered the logic of going between Creag Leacach and Carn Aosda, instead of Creag Leacach --> Cairnwell --> Carn Aosda?

Pretty sure Aosda first is the right choice if then heading west. I've been on those hills a fair bit over the years (walking, not running, and never more than ten in a day), and the angle of the connecting ridge towards Gheoidh is better from Cairnwell than from Aosda, plus there's a useful short-cut path on the Cairnwell side that will have saved a couple of minutes.

Fantastic effort, great stuff. Those west-Shee Munros are quite awkward to connect, both in terms of some deepish drops and much fiddlier ground, than are the eastern bunch. And then to add on a whole load of Cairngorms, and get back to the start...
OP petestack 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

> So now we can all have fun guessing which three additional Cairngorms summits he might have gone for (unless he was thinking Mayar and Driesh or even An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir?), and I'd be surprised if Beinn a' Bhuird isn't one of them...

Did I say three? Clearly can't count when 35 - 30 = 5, though it's hard to see all five coming from the Cairngorms when that takes the Cairngorms component to just two short of a Rigby Round!
 Jack Frost 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Cheers Dave - that makes sense, and is certainly the order I did them when bumbling years ago. Just wondered if the direction of approach from CL to The Cairnwell would have made sense to do it first, but maybe he was using the ski area as a milestone.

I liked his route up Carn a Mhaim - no messing about there, infact I vaguely remember some slab routes on that side - maybe he threw a wee climb in for good measure.

Siward 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

I wonder if that route, or something resembling it, has been skied? If so, how would the times compare? Just idly wondering...
 DaveHK 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Siward:
> I wonder if that route, or something resembling it, has been skied? If so, how would the times compare? Just idly wondering...

Probably all of it in parts but not that much of it linked up. Did you see Finlay Wild and Tim Gomersall's Tranter Round on skis from a few years back? The terrain of Jim's round will be much more skiable.

I think that given good conditions for both a summer running round would be quicker than a winter skiing round. I base that on my own experience and the fact that Finlay and Tim took 17 hrs 35 mins for the Tranter.
Post edited at 17:27
 Siward 10 Jul 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Didn't see it no but there's some montages on youtube, one suggesting the 8 Cairngorm tops in 24 hours was one of his trips.
 Steve Perry 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

I always thought the Glen Shee area would be best for someone attempting 24hr record, great effort!
 Steve Perry 10 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:
Some top runner will end up looking at that list wondering whether they could stick Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon on the end, or like you say Mayar and Driesh.
Post edited at 18:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...