UKC

Jogging - Am I too old?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 30 Dec 2017
Right, please don't laugh at this.
For a number of years, between the ages of about 35 and my early to mid forties, I regularly jogged and even entered a number of half marathons. My time for 13 miles was usually around 1hour 40 minutes.

For various reasons my jogging started tailing off from about the age of 43-45. However, since then I have maintained my walking activities with regular trips to the Pyrenees and, recently, the Alps. The only period when I was not "active" was in 2014 when I had Lymphoma. After treatment I was gradually getting back into walking and, as mentioned, I eventually had the confidence and felt fit enough to return to the big mountains.

I occasionally think back to the days when I regularly jogged 10 miles a night for six nights a week; that wonderful feeling you get when you are running on "automatic" and are oblivious to any pain and you seem to be cruising without any effort. I feel a yearning to experience it again.

So, here's the question. At 72 am I too old to start again or even to think about it? I now look to UKC runners for advice and any suggestions. My first thought is to consult my GP(who knows I'm a keen walker) along with, maybe, a gym professional.

In the mean time I'm open to any useful comments.
 Phil1919 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you have got the motivation to do so then that is the main thing. As I get older I increasingly let my body dictate my speed and just try and enjoy myself. However, I would say motivation is the main factor.
 Phil Tucker 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you feel like doing it then I'd say give it a try. As the other reply said motivation will possibly be a big issue. You've got nearly 10 years on me and I find motivating myself to get out regularly difficult. Fortunately I'm in a small group of regulars that give me the necessary lift. I think if I was in your position and had no like minded friends then a club or informal group would be worth a try. Hopefully you'll be out regularly and enjoying it.

Phil
 Trangia 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I shall be 74 in just over a month's time. I'd say be careful of your joints/bones they damage more easily as you get older and healing takes a lot longer. You do a lot of walking anyway, so stick to that, or so long as your ticker is ok maybe take up cycling which has less potentially damaging impact on joints?

Do you still climb? I still trad climb and go regularly to a wall. The joy of climbing is that you can reduce your grades whilst still having a work out and enjoy it. Obviously leading carries an increased risk of damage to bones etc. You'll never eliminate the risk, but you can reduce it by leading well within your grade.

I still skied until a couple of years ago, and was a good skier able to cope with anything on piste, including some of the Double Black Diamond runs in the USA, but I started becoming more concerned at the risk of being run into by some other idiot. Again, at our age you don't want to break a leg or any other bone. For this reason I've stopped skiing in the Alps, although I would still consider the USA if I could afford it

Sorry I've rambled a bit, but in answer to your question my feeling is go for it so long as you feel happy (and your GP approves) but be more careful of those old bones!
OP mypyrex 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia et al:
Thanks for replies and encouragement. I might contact a local running club and see what they say. I'm going to get the bike out too. We've got about six miles of prom which I've cycled on before(pre cancer) and there's nice brew shack halfway.

mbh 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
1 hour 40 is a decent time for a HM, and if you could do 10 miles a night 6 days a week, you must have had the motivation thing taped. That's very hard to do once, never mind for long. By which I mean that a tiny minority of runners I know of or am aware of manage that.

Trangia's comment about the age specifics of joints and bones is important, but having made the decision to run, and wondering how best to do it such that you keep going, that depends on you. If you have sufficient self motivation, just go out and do it. Vary your routes for interest. To start with, don't bother timing yourself. Just do it and rediscover the hang of getting out there. If you want to stop, stop. I do! Once you are into it, get a GPS watch, or use your phone, register with some site like Strava and log your routes. I have found that very cleverly constructed site to be astonishingly motivating. But do what works for you.

If you are a social animal, then join a club and get out with them. I'd find that very constricting, but clearly very many people find this an enjoyable and motivational way to keep on doing it.

Don't try to do 10 miles a night! When I had a motivational lapse a couple of years ago, I found that it was very helpful to set the bar very low, never mind where once it had been. The main thing was to get going each day.

And if you can't run, remember that you are a mere yoof compared to a guy called Reg that I have met many times on the Camel trail near where I live. He is well into his eighties and was one of the commandos who opened up Sennen. He knew Joe Barry and Mike Banks, I think. Every day, without fail, he walks six miles on the trail. First day this way, next day that way. I hope I can do that at his age.

Edit: Reg, not Ron.
Post edited at 18:00
 JamButty 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Find your local parkrun and tag along and see how it goes, there's no pressure on time or anything, you can walk/run it

You've got good pedigree....

shuffle 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There are people who run in my local cross country league that are in their 80s and I know a few fell runners who are well up their 70s, so I don't think you are too old!

It sounds like you were a pretty quick and big mileage runner in your 30s and 40s so I'm sure you know plenty about training, but as you're basically starting from scratch again, I'd start with a walk/run programme (couch to 5km is very popular) and just see how you go.

The suggestion from jambutty of giving parkrun a go is a good idea - no pressure there on time, and it is a good way to meet others who are a similar pace if you want someone to train with or find out which local clubs might suit you.

alx 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Grab your shoes and get out there!
 bouldery bits 30 Dec 2017
In reply to JamButty:

> Find your local parkrun and tag along and see how it goes, there's no pressure on time or anything, you can walk/run it

> You've got good pedigree....

Couldn't agree more. Best of luck MP - although, if it's not working for you, please don't put your walking at risk!
In reply to mypyrex:

Parkrun, as others have said, is great. Free to enter, lots of people of all sizes, ages and abilities. Some with dogs, young children, push chairs.

5k so manageable by most people with a bit of fitness without much training even if you have run/walk it to start with.
 gavinj 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex: Jeff Galloway is probably your man- run till your 100 will give you a lot of advice! It's basically a walk-run strategy, and very appropriate for hills/mountains. Good luck!

steveriley 30 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

We’ve a couple of guys your age in our club stilll running just fine. I noticed at least a couple of V80s on the start list for our upcoming half marathon. An (inspirational) mid 70s club mate ran Cadair Idris the year he died (of something else!). Sorry, that sounds off-key. Sounds like you want to give it a go? Start small, be mindful, enjoy the journey. Bon chance!
OP mypyrex 31 Dec 2017
In reply to All:
Thanks for all the encouraging and informative replies. There's a Parkrun event about four miles away so I'll wander down on Saturday.
In reply to mypyrex:

If you want to actually take part you will need to register on the website first and print out a personal bar code.

No need to enter on the day, just take your bar code with you, do the run and at the end you will be handed a finishing position bar code. Take that and your personal code to the nearby volunteer with the scanning machine and he will log your finishing time. Within a couple of hours your results will be on the website.

Quite a few parkrun are over two or three laps, so if you are a bit knackered after the first lap you can stop there. If you are not sure about this just go along and watch one Saturday and have a chat to the volunteers they are usually very friendly. Even offer to volunteer, manning a turn point.

Let us know how you get on.
OP mypyrex 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thanks for that. Am I correct in believing that you can run and/or walk?
 Ridge 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks for that. Am I correct in believing that you can run and/or walk?

Yep. At our parkrun we have a back marker who stays with the last person. Walking is fine.
 Dauphin 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Couple of things apart from the ticker which I assume to be in fair nick

Weight - I'd get on in the bike and drop some weight if you are over weight, also a few days easy sessions on the treadmill maybe two or three times a week over the winter building up the Kms will allow you to sort out those under under utilized muscles and joints without too much impact - go for increasing time rather than distance or speed work. Ease yourself back into this.

Hard surfaces are no good for young bones and joints, in a seventy plus non athlete they will be no good at all - park running and off road will be less damaging for your body and magnificent for the soul for an Ecophilic like yourself.

Best of luck and happy new year chief.

D
 Wimlands 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Hi,
I'm coming back from injury and walk/run my local ParkRun and can completely recommend it. Currently doing 1.30 mins run 3.30 mins walk and I'd definitely suggest something similar as you get back to running.

It's really friendly and fun.....and i got out sprinted by a 75 year old at the finish last time out

CEW 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

My friends dad has been out running cross country races in the veteran over 80's category and shows no signs of slowing down if that helps!
 Yanis Nayu 31 Dec 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I don’t know the answer, but would just like to say that it’s inspirational that you’re even thinking about it. Good luck and Happy New Year!
OP mypyrex 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I don’t know the answer, but would just like to say that it’s inspirational that you’re even thinking about it. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Thank you and Happy New Year to you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...