UKC

King's Tree fell race?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 08 Sep 2021

I'm up visiting family in sheffield in October and was looking at what fell races are on. I stumbled across this advertised as a new race, but couldn't seem to find any more info. Does anyone know anything about it? Route? When entries open?

Thanks in advance 

Ged

robert-hutton 08 Sep 2021
In reply to GDes:

On the DPFR site it saying, 

Kings Tree Langsett Barn
Pre-entry: £10.00; Eod: £12.00

Please: Car Share, Bring your own cup for hot drink/water. ALL profits to local Mountain Rescue. HQ opens at 8.30 - registration 9.00am 

28km, 901m

OP GDes 08 Sep 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thanks, yes I saw that. Was just wondering about pre entry as cant seem to find anything, and also any ideas what the route is? 

robert-hutton 08 Sep 2021
In reply to GDes:

Might be a summer version of the mickleden straddle, think I did it some years ago and it stated from the dam wall, great eye balls out for the last 3 miles if I remember.

Denning76 17 Sep 2021
In reply to GDes:

Had to be cancelled sadly, due to Yorkshire Water pulling permission to use the car park at Race HQ.

OP GDes 17 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

Oh that's a shame.

Any other good races around that time in the Peak District? 

deepsoup 17 Sep 2021
In reply to GDes:

> Any other good races around that time in the Peak District? 

Is it specifically a fixed-course fell race that you're after?  If you're up for a bit of orienteering style time trial shenanigans, how would you feel about a three hour mini-mountain-marathon?  The next Peak Raid 3 (third one of the current series) is starting/finishing on the edge of Sheffield on 24th Oct and will take in a chunk of Big Moor and Burbage Valley.

http://explorerevents.co.uk/entries/

Tom Briggs 18 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I think Go Big Moor is still on as far as I can tell? Saturday 30 October. There’s a FB page.

Denning76 18 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I raced the Kinder East one last weekend (and took a fantastically moronic adventure straight up the side of Jaggers Clough). They're a good series of races.

OP GDes 18 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks that looks like great fun 

deepsoup 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

> They're a good series of races.

They are, though the Kinder East one was only my second go at a proper one.  (I've enjoyed the 2-hr 'virtual' Maprun events very much though, improved my navigation a bit, discovered bits of the Peak I didn't really know before and done each of them at least a couple of times by different routes - great value for money, especially the 2020 series that was free!)

Sorry to get all competitive about this, but I'd be willing to take a small bet that my route was more ridiculous than yours!  It's a very different experience being handed the map on the start line than printing it at home and sitting down with a cuppa to ponder over it for hours isn't it?

deepsoup 19 Sep 2021
In reply to GDes:

> Thanks that looks like great fun 

They are.  (Quite a lot of the last one was type-2 fun I found, but I think that was a bit of an outlier with much more un-runnable terrain than usual.)

The map is a 1:25k orienteering map, so it'd be worth familiarising yourself with the key if you've not used one much before.  It took me a wee while to get used to it, but now that I am I find it easier to navigate than the 1:25k OS map it's based on.  The organisers put a lot of care into getting them right.  You're asked to choose a start time to within 5 mins when you register, but they're actually very relaxed about when you start so it doesn't matter too much if you're a little bit late or early.  It's all chip timing anyway, so you just dib the start when you're ready to go.  Everybody gets an individual kit check though, so you do need to make sure you have your waterproofs, survival bag, whistle etc..

I was at the Stanage Struggle this morning and somebody mentioned that the Hathersage Hurtle is going ahead on the 16th Oct - that might be worth a look if 20 miles odd is a reasonable distance for you.  (It isn't something I'd normally be aware of, way too much for me!) 
I just googled up a link though:
https://www.hathersagehurtle.com/

Denning76 19 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I did Stanage too this morning! A pretty rough reminder that I haven't raced much in recent years as while I was fine going up, I had seemingly everyone pass me coming back down... It also seemed to get really warm really quickly!

Did you cross the road on the Kinder one? I went for all the ones south of the Snake, but on second thoughts I think missing the two CPs to the extreme West on the southern edge and crossing the road would have been better.

Post edited at 14:41
 deepsoup 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

> It also seemed to get really warm really quickly!

After such a dreich and chilly start to the day.  For a moment there, not long after the start when the sun came out, it seemed like it was going to get much too hot!  I'm glad it didn't.

> Did you cross the road on the Kinder one? I went for all the ones south of the Snake, but on second thoughts I think missing the two CPs to the extreme West on the southern edge and crossing the road would have been better.

No, it was an easy decision for me to dismiss the ones North of the A57, I'm not nearly quick enough to be tempted by those - too far away and too much of a climb. 

Same thing for the two in the SW corner of the map really, so I was trying to cover all the others.  But then I made a bad decision on the way up past the shooting hut, wasted a lot of time heather bashing, stumbling about the hillside bashing through bracken and falling down groughs and ultimately ended up having to skip Crookstone Knoll and leg it for home. 

With the benefit of hindsight it seems so obvious what I should have been doing. (1-6-2-5-9-15-8-17-4-7, I reckon.)  At some point over the next couple of weeks I think I'll probably go and have a bash at that, see how it would have worked out.  Even if I could do it well under 3hrs though, I think it would be too big a step to add another CP.

Incidentally, I noticed the big rough terrain mowing machine parked up near the shooting hut, which drew my attention to how the heather on the grouse moor had been cut, not burnt.  Nice to know at least one of the shooting estates out there has stopped setting fire to bits of the landscape.

Denning76 19 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> Incidentally, I noticed the big rough terrain mowing machine parked up near the shooting hut, which drew my attention to how the heather on the grouse moor had been cut, not burnt.  Nice to know at least one of the shooting estates out there has stopped setting fire to bits of the landscape.

I have noticed more cutting of late, though of course everyone knows that there are estates who have been breaching the voluntary burning ban (no points for guessing it correctly...). Might be wrong, but is that area not one of those under a National Trust tenancy? If so, wonder if they've had a say.

David Riley 19 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> I was at the Stanage Struggle this morning

Me too.  How did it go ?

deepsoup 19 Sep 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Good thanks, I enjoyed it.  Conditions were very comfortable as it turns out and it's a nice friendly event isn't it?  Pleasingly I wasn't much slower than last time either, despite not feeling very fit at the mo.  Did you run?  How was it for you?

David Riley 19 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Don't do many hills so was very slow going up. Our Parkrun is flattest in the country.  Then so tired my legs wouldn't go where I put them and I fell on the flat path top of Stanage for no reason. No problem, got up and really went for the downhill.  If only we could just do that. But passing was hard and I fell again.  Absolutely loved it until the climbs before the end where I was mostly back to walking.  Still buzzing now.  Not an ideal race for me, no prize for Men's Freefall, and I came in at 94.

Denning76 19 Sep 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Those short steps up to the church really are a sting in the tail.

David Riley 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

Bloody are !

deepsoup 20 Sep 2021
In reply to David Riley:

I'm quicker on the descent too, and tend to overtake a few of the people who passed me on the way up coming down again.  The single track back down to the causeway below High Neb doesn't give you much room to pass anybody though does it?

I'm not sure you'd have been in the running for the gold in men's freefall anyway, there was a chap just ahead of me who faceplanted spectacularly just before the gate on the way up into the plantation - thankfully I don't think he was hurt either, just a bit embarrassed.

I've done the race a couple of times before, but I'd forgotten about the steps up towards the church.  Oof.  And the smaller sting right in the tail - burning up the very last scrap of energy trying to summon up a bit of a sprint finish across the school playing field.

Denning76 20 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I believe that, thankfully, the number of people who saw me fall off a stile was limited. Saw someone with a badly cut up knee though.

David Riley 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

It was me.  I don't remember falling in a race before. Put it down to the unaccustomed aggressive grip of my fell shoes.  But saw 3 others fall right in front of me.

David Riley 20 Sep 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

People were very good at letting me go by. As you said ,  a friendly event.

> I'm not sure you'd have been in the running for the gold in men's freefall anyway

I would have won it easy !

>  the school playing field.

Turning up that short hill was the worst bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...