UKC

Lakeland 50/100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 30 Jul 2018

So was anybody else out his weekend on the Lakeland 50/100 enjoying everything the Lakes could throw at us weather wise ?

I have trained all winter in the Lakes and never had conditions like we had going up Fusedale on Saturday afternoon, brutal was an understatement...

steveriley 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had a few mates out there and full respect to anyone doing it. I had more than enough weather at Kentmere on Sunday. My nav was a bit iffy, but the strava fly-bys are particularly amusing on this one

OP Dark-Cloud 30 Jul 2018
In reply to steveriley:

It was challenging to say the least, i must have had jacket on an off a dozen times on the 50, just glad to finish regardless of time (which was MUCH slower than i envisaged) there was some very cold people at the later checks

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I did the 50 put full waterproofs on whilst hiding in a derelict building up Fusedale and never took them off again. It actually suited me quite well as I am rubbish when it's hot.  I'm not surprised by the drop out in the 100, it was so hot to start then so wet.

Wonrek 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It certainly was a challenging one! I'd seen the forecast and was in two minds whether to carry my Goretex jacket from the start or to have it in my drop bag at Dalemain and start in a race shell. I went for the latter and was very happy indeed that I'd packed something more substantial for the second half!

Personally I absolutely loved every minute, the weather just added to the fun for me.......folk say I'm special though :-D

KevinJ 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Ended up in Ambleside on the Friday buying a new waterproof after checking the updated forecast.  Wasn't sure a Rab Spark would be comfortable with the forecast weather.

In the end, didn't need it.  Unfortunately, DNF'd at Buttermere after my mate had a couple of falls coming over Black Sail.  He was completely out of energy (unlike him so early in an event - poss a combination of the heat and inability to properly fuel and hydrate) and staying together meant we timed out at Buttermere.

Shame, because I still felt really good and missed the extra weather challenge on the Saturday! 

Must make sure I get a LL100 entry again next year.

OP Dark-Cloud 31 Jul 2018
In reply to KevinJ:

Thats a shame, I can sympathise though as fuelling in longer events is something I struggle with.

I put my heavier waterproof in last minute on Saturday morning for the 50, glad I did as my race shell would have seen me not finishing I reckon as I was cold at points as it was.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...