UKC

LDWA 100 - Again!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 22 May 2018

Its that time of year again with the LDWA 100 miler on at the weekend. In Kent this year, so not that mountainous per se! Also not a county I have been to other than to catch the ferry on the way to the Alps! 

Looks like it's going to be hot, so running too much too early will be a big mistake (much like last year in Yorkshire, resulting all those wonderful hallucinations from heat stroke!). 

Anyone else signed up and starting to worry....??  

Moley 24 May 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Good luck again, have a good one and don't eat too many cakes!. I nearly entered last year as it's round my wife's countryside and family down there, but plans went t**s up. Still hoping to do one, 2020 in Wales again

OP Wainers44 24 May 2018
In reply to Moley:

Cheers Moley!!

Moley 28 May 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

You should be home safe and sound, wonder if the storms hit that area?

Let us know how it went, once you recuperate!

OP Wainers44 28 May 2018
In reply to Moley:

Well, what happened was.....

Great event, beautiful place, lovely peoples, I was rubbish. 

OK, here come the excuses, I had a heavy cold, which made me feel bad and made me even more stupid than normal. I proved that while I can talk a good game about food and hydration, I still don't really believe it. At one stage I had drunk so little having been so sick in the heat that my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth so hard it pulled away the lining!!

I bombed out after 64 miles and OK it was a scorching 28 deg both days but some coped with it really well. Just not me!!

Storms were amazing on Saturday night and the lightening so frequent at one stage that you didn't need the headtorch. 

So after thinking I had sorted the eating and drinking thing on the Brecon Cardiff Ultra this year I clearly haven't and am living proof that you don't necessarily get wiser as you get older!!! 

Moley 28 May 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

I guess that's the appeal of ultras, always something to learn and get it even slightly wrong and it bites you on the bum, big time!

Well done anyway, there's always next time and you may be wiser....

My first ultra was the Wessex 100 (ldwa), that was also first baking hot day of the year, during the heat of the day I tucked in behind a couple of fast walkers and walked. Only they were Richard and Sandra Brown, legendary ultra race walkers ( she has 19 hour 100 miles and a world1000 mile record) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Brown_(ultradistance_athlete)

They were wandering along chatting and my little legs pumping like hell, but I wasn't running or overheating through the middle of the day, started running again as soon as it cooled. I learnt a lesson that day about when to walk and when to run, 50% of the elite starters were dnf. 

Always next time, put your feet up and plan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...