Climbing inspiration, supported by you

Climbing inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKC Supporter. You can show your support in one of two ways; both come with rewards, and one includes discounted products from Rockfax.

Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKC Supporter. You can show your support in one of two ways; both come with rewards, and one includes discounted products from Rockfax.

Loading Notifications...

losing fitness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iusedtoclimb 08 May 2019

So I have been training well until 4 weeks ago when I fell and cracked a rib. Since then I have managed very little running and only a few hilly walks

This weekend I am going to do Ultra Tour Snowdon 50m and I'm wondering how much fitness I would have lost in the four weeks since I cracked my rib?

SouthernSteve 08 May 2019
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Sounds like a very long taper as long as you are sound now. Not ideal, but probably not the end of the world either if you were doing well up to that point. I suspect the biggest thing will be the psychological effect of not having run for a month rather than a 15-20% fall in fitness (guess by the way).

Roadrunner6 08 May 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I agree, 3-4 weeks isn't a huge amount of time.

You'll feel worse but if you had a big base it's not that long. You'd lose speed quicker than you lose stamina so for a 50mile race I doubt it will have that much impact to be honest. If it was a 5k race I think you'd be significantly slower. In a 50 there's so much else to manage and go wrong, actual fitness is just one component and with a solid base that's not that long away.

Not a lot I suspect.  I've been doing very little running since February due to an injury, and did the MK Half this weekend (as a bit of a test if I was properly recovered or not, and so as not to lose the money ) and came in just under 2hrs which is my pretty consistent half time.

bouldery bits 08 May 2019

You'll be reet.

First few Kms will be like 'whats this again?' then you'll be fine  

Graeme Hughes 14 May 2019

How did you get on? Unforgiving course but it was a cracking day for a long outing in the hills. 

syv_k 14 May 2019
In reply to Graeme Hughes:

I don’t think the OP would be keen on a “cracking day”.

iusedtoclimb 31 May 2019
In reply to Graeme Hughes:

I did great (for me). Clearly 4 weeks off really helped

amazing race and I fancy 100 next year. Really recommend the 50 to anyone, tough but brill route 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.