UKC

marathon recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jondo 25 Mar 2018

ive only done one marathon distance (untimed, run as you can charity thing), and one HM. 

Im looking for a relatively fast, flat, nice road marathon. 

not too crowded. not too hot. 

here or somewhere in Europe. 

any good recommendations ? 

thanks. 

wbo 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo: Oslo.  Berlin, but that is a lot of people

Tony & Sarah 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo:

Abingdon, quiet & flat,.

Tony

BusyLizzie 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo:

I did Rutland Water for my first marathon - September. Very small field - lots do the Half but only 132 did the marathon IIRC. Not quite as flat as you'd expect, being round a lake, but a delightful course. A small event means far less standing around before the start.

JuneBob 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo:

Frankfurt. Very flat, generally spacious, not too busy, end of the season. I've run berlin too, frankfurt was better for your requirements.

Post edited at 13:05
 plyometrics 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo:

From personal experience in the U.K., ones that tick some or most of your boxes would be:

Chester.

Liverpool.

Manchester.

York.

Bournemouth. 

Blackpool. 

Take your pick from these:

http://www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-64-2018-19-uk-&-ireland-mara...

In Europe, Basel isn’t bad. 

Berlin is a cracker, but very busy. 

Post edited at 13:13
Roadrunner6 25 Mar 2018
In reply to jondo: Not too crowded takes out any of the majors especially as you'll be in a mass start.

Loch Ness is pretty quick, a few hills, but a big net down hill.

Chester gets good reviews from people I know who ran it.

I did a really nice one in Germany, in March. http://www.lav-husum.de/index.php/58-startseitenbeitraege/489-nord-ostsee-s...

Nice rural course in cool weather. I won it in 2:39 and it was a very windy day. Great fun up on the Jutland Peninsula towards the Danish Border.

OP jondo 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

2:39 ? thats insane, well done. 

username checks out

Removed User 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Loch Ness descends 700 ft IIRC. However there is a substantial, mile long hill that starts at 20 miles...

It is a lovely run along the South bank of the loch though.

Post edited at 21:36
Roadrunner6 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah it is a tough course because of the first 10 mile being insanely quick and trashes your quads, then its flatish until that longish climb, only 1000 ft of total ascent in the 26 miles so nothing crazy, but the climb at that time in the race, its only about 300ft of ascent then, does slow. Bit Boston like in many ways.

I really like Snowdonia, I think its mentally one of the easiest races I've done as you break it down into legs, climb up descend to x, climb up to Y. It's not as slow as people think too as long as you keep a run going over the last pass. But certainly not quick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...