UKC

Myofascial self massage, how much is too much?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have been suffering with a sore / tight hamstring for a while now whilst running. Usual thing, can spread from the glute, right down to the calf in discomfort whilst resting, but when running is pretty localized.

Have seen physio and she showed me a way to massage the trigger point with a golf ball under my leg whilst sitting on a chair. As I sit for my job, this is something I find easy to do (although it is fooking painful, there is no hiding from a golf ball and have been doing it a lot.

I am due back at the physio next week, but didn't find out if it's possible to over do the massaging and do more harm than good.

Anyone have any advice?

Curry 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

I have a similar problem. I may be wrong but I think short regular sessions of about 5-10 mins of massage 2-3 times a day should be the maximum, any more might be counter productive. I've been doing that with the foam roller and juggling ball on my legs. I'm happy to be proven wrong though!
In reply to Curry: That's pretty much what I am doing, around 5 minutes at a time but about 6 times throughout the day. There is some satisfaction in working the sore point, but I suspect it probably needs some time to recover.
 elliottt 18 May 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Might be sciatic nerve I had the same problem hamstring into calf. If you can't stretch it out and it's been with you for some time. Might be best to ease of for a few weeks. My sciatic nerve effects my calf more then anything else.
 riddle 21 May 2013

Where do you live? PM me if it's easier!

Is the chair in a car or behind a desk? You might find your chair and seating position is the reason there is no improvement. Can you work from a standing position or alternate between the two. When was the last time you had a work station assessment?

Your body has some incredible protective mechanisms, you'll know if you are doing too much. Perhaps try some ice therapy as well, 4 minutes on 90 minutes off. Either an ice pack or moving ice cube, both will give different responses.

You could ask your therapist to try Muscle Energy Technique if the trigger point is not working for you.

Ander 22 May 2013
> Anyone have any advice?

One minute, 4 times a day.
 Ander 22 May 2013

I have a suspcion if you can do it for 5 minutes, you're not doing it right.

Remember that the principle behind trigger point massage is to get the trigger point to 'relax'. So, apply pressure, let the muscle relax, maybe repeat. Then give the poor thing a chance to 'recover', before going through it all again.

Bruising it won't help either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...