UKC

Navigating in ultras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Norris 18 Nov 2018

Hi,

My wife and I have entered our first ultra marathon next spring, and I've been looking at the various options for navigating the route.

I already own a Garmin edge  800 which I will probably use, but my wife doesn't have anything as yet, so I'm after some advice on what most people do?

We're doing the green man ultra round bristol, we've recced sections already and it's not too challenging to navigate, I'm just trying to pre-empt our tired brains and possible poor thinking, So would like to make navigating as easy as possible!

Annoyingly the route goes over 2 maps, and I think a map may be a faff (tho may take one as back up), so I'm looking at GPS devices such as the Garmin etrex30 , as well possibly the Gaia GPS app for her phone, tho her phone is quite big, so not ideal to have in hand for prolonged periods.

Could anyone offer any advice on what they do? 

Thanks

Simon 

DaveHK 18 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

You could print out the required os sections, mark on the route and seal in poly pockets. That in combination with the os locate app on phone would probably be sufficient.

The Potato 18 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

Unless you really want the fancy extra features of the Etrex 30, then id highly recommended the 20, I've used it in the uk and New Zealand and it's always been very impressive. There's a setting to use rechargeable batteries which extends the power. Even with only the basic map it's very good

RunningInCircles 18 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

I can recommend OpenStreetmap maps on the Etrex. Got full contour maps on a card on mine. Makes them very useful at a cheap price.

That said, I am a fan of route description for ultras. I used to do a few LDWA events where these are the norm. Very easy to use on the move. Sections in poly pockets, discard at checkpoints. Got in the habit of making my own up.

GPS is backup, useful but slower to use on the move.  

stuartf 18 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

Viewranger on your smartphone?

OP The Norris 18 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

Thanks for all the input, I hadn't considered printouts of the map, that's a good idea, thanks. 

I'll have a look at the other etrex models, I'd just seen the etrex 30 on some reviews website so figured it was the most suitable.

As for viewranger on her phone... We went out today and trialled using the osmand app on her phone, it worked well, but she's got quite a big phone so it's a bit too bulky to keep to hand, so I think that might be off the cards.

fimm 27 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

I have not checked your particular race, but are you sure the route is not marked? That would normally be what I would expect (I've only done one Ultra but my husband has done several).

ianstevens 27 Nov 2018
In reply to fimm:

Took three seconds to actually look up - "self navigation"

r0b 27 Nov 2018
In reply to RunningInCircles:

> GPS is backup, useful but slower to use on the move.  

Disagree with this, GPS is quicker on the move if you've got it set up right and you leave it on all the time. Makes nav so much easier in the dark or poor visibility.

r0b 27 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

Personally I'd recommend the etrex 30 over the 20 is you don't mind spending the extra few quid. The built in compass means the direction arrow on the map screen points the way you are holding the GPS even if you are stood still. Which you generally are if you aren't sure which way you should be going. On the etrex 20 without the compass the direction arrow relies upon you moving to point the right way, and if you are stopped it will point in random directions.

steveriley 27 Nov 2018
In reply to The Norris:

Find out what the organisers want - a map might well be in the rules (it is in ours) and they'll likely have a written description. You could get away with self printed map covering the bits you want. If you can find someone that did it before you might be able to steal their GPS breadcrumb via Strava or Garmin Connect or something. If you're feeling flush you can load this on a watch and use that - Fenix 3 or similar.

The Potato 27 Nov 2018
In reply to r0b:

not sure that feature alone warrants +£40 though certainly didnt for me and its never caused me an issue not having it. Each to their own though and I appreciate this isnt an etrex comparison thread.

Post edited at 16:38
XXXX 27 Nov 2018
In reply to r0b:

> Disagree with this, GPS is quicker on the move if you've got it set up right and you leave it on all the time. Makes nav so much easier in the dark or poor visibility.

I completely disagree. When running a map is much easier because you can carry it in one hand all the time thumbing your location. A quick glance to check your location and you keep going. With a GPS, unless you want to hold something bulky for hours at a time, you have to stop to check your position regularly and take the time to relocate each time, AND use map memory in between.

If there are route choices, a map is even better as you can examine different options in a single view, with a GPS you have to zoom in and out.

For micronav in poor conditions I would prefer a GPS. In all other circumstances a map is easier and simpler. And very importantly for an ultra, lighter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...