UKC

New Waterproof Jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 09 Aug 2019

Looking for a new waterproof for running.

Doesn't need to be the very lightest, it'll be getting quite a lot of use on big hills summer and winter so needs to offer a bit more protection than the superlight race ones.

Must have a decent hood with drawcords and preferably a volume adjust.

I've had a couple of OMM Kamleika's and like the cut and design but they've fallen apart in no time (just returned the last as stitching separated after maybe 8 wears). I think the issue with them is that the fabric stretches but the stitching doesn't so it rips out. Something like that then but a bit more robust.

Ideas?

Ta.

Dark-Cloud 09 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I have just gone for a Salomon Bonatti Pro, seems quite nice, no hood draw though which is a bit weird but it seems to fit quite well without, haven't had it out in the ran yet though.

I did consider the Alpkit Gravitas which would fit your description but the Salomon popped up on Sportspursuit for £75 so took a punt

Post edited at 13:04
 ditchy 09 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

There are the Mountain Equipment Tupilak Atmo and Lhotse Atmo jackets that I have been looking at. They are a fair bit sturdier than your average running jacket but still very light. They feel like they would be a bit more windproof and more like a refuge than others, and the hoods are real mountain hoods. Fit wise, they are a bit baggier but if you are looking at a winter running jacket then it would be better being able to layer for when the shit hits the fan. I am doing the Cheviot Goat and am looking at getting the Tupilak Atmo Jacket for this as it would hopefully be a fair bit tougher. Just have to sneak it past my wife.

OP DaveHK 09 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers for the suggestions.

I think I might try one of the Alpkit Balance jackets for something that will give a bit more protection and last a bit better and just buy a cheap mac in a bag for passing kit checks.

Post edited at 16:21
 Ridge 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I have just gone for a Salomon Bonatti Pro, seems quite nice, no hood draw though which is a bit weird but it seems to fit quite well without, haven't had it out in the ran yet though.

I have the 'non-pro' version. The elasicated hood is a bit of a pain to be honest. Fits fine when walking but creeps down over the eyes when running. I end up carrying a very light Inov-8 peaked cap to wear under the hood if I think it's going to be constant rain, which works well. I got the jacket cheap in the states, so can't complain.

The fabric seems very hard wearing, even under a race vest full of kit, and looks good as new after over a year of use. I think for the OPs requirements a proper hood would be better.

Phil Tucker 09 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Ive been really pleased with my montane minimus? Jacket. Lightweight and stretchy.

OP DaveHK 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

> Ive been really pleased with my montane minimus? Jacket. Lightweight and stretchy.

Maybe I had a bad one but I had a Rab jacket in the same fabric and thought it was very poor. Worked OK for long enough that a warranty return wouldn't be accepted then leaked like a seive despite repeated reproofing. Bizarrely, it also didn't seem to feel very windproof.

Post edited at 21:05
 EuanM 09 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I picked up a Montane Spine on sale last year. Wanted something a bit more robust to try and cut windchill. 

It’s been a good option for horrible weather days (like today) but definitely not as breathable as advertised. But then what is.

I get a psychological boost from knowing there’s a proper shell in my bag. Worth the additional weight. 

steelbru 10 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Have you considered the top of the range Inov8 - the Protec shell ?

Not used it myself but gets good reviews and over £100 off RRP at Sportsshoes at the moment

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino1160/inov8-at_c-protec-shell-full-zi...

Edit : if you use topcashback then they're doing 8% ( ie £13 ) back

Post edited at 21:40
 GraB 12 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I've still got my first kammleika - the smock and an old version at that, so without the weird cuff arrangement on the new jacket. The stitching and the edge trim around the cuff did start to come apart after a while but nothing that a needle and thread and a bit of seam -grip didn't sort out. Its been like that for quite a while and hasn't got any worse.

Do you reckon the newer versions are made from more stretchy fabric / not as well put together? Where have yours pulled apart? A bit disappointing if that's the case, as its a perfect weight/ fit and weatherproofness for me for most bad weather running. I've tried one of the inov8's on (maybe the one mentioned above on Sportshoes?) and the fit was really good and seemed very well thought out. No idea though about the durability.

Post edited at 09:33
OP DaveHK 12 Aug 2019
In reply to GraB:

The closure tab started pulling out of the cuff and stitching separated round the thumb hole. If it was after 6 months I'd have repaired it myself but it was more like 6 wears so I sent it back and eventually got a refund.

I've had a few bits of OMM kit fall apart very quickly recently.

GraB 13 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Doesn't sound good at all. I wonder if they're just trying too hard to make it too light/ stretchy / whatever and forgetting that it needs to last more than a few uses. Or they've changed to a different manufacturer. Either way I'll be wary. Where did you get it from?

I wasn't totally (at all) convinced by the Phantom sack either.. If it hadn't been a freebie I'd have sent it back. Good for one or two uses but mine is pretty knackered now.

OP DaveHK 13 Aug 2019
In reply to GraB:

I also returned another rucksack to them as the stitching came undone after one run. I think your right, trying to make them too light and too stretchy. 

I got the jacket online from a company called startfitness. They're refunding me now but it was a bit of a battle.

thelostjockey 31 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I've gone Gore, a hardshell and it doesn't breathe but I'd take a pertex something as well. Worth the weight. The Gore kit is a bit like Rab, not much spare room. The cut and design are superb, I always feel good in them. They are expensive but not found anything as good. Durable too. Hope that helps. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...