UKC

OMM 2018 - entries now open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 18 Dec 2017
Entries now open!

Who else is in?

Considering medium score I think.

Southwest, so location probably Dartmoor? Can't think where else? Exmoor and Bodmin shouldn't get a look in....
 elliptic 18 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Dartmoor is where it's always come at this end of the country, yep.

I should really sign up as it's just down the road for me though I'm less keen on the amount of actual running that might be needed compared with this year's event (!)
gazonk 18 Dec 2017
I am tempted by this...are you allowed to go solo? I looked for an FAQ but could not see a mention.

I have no mates to run with that this point

There is a local runners feeling down here on Dartmoor that it might not be Dartmoor - possibly South Wales.
 elliptic 18 Dec 2017
In reply to gazonk:

> are you allowed to go solo?

Not in the OMM - it's all pairs. Some of the other MMs on the calendar do have solo classes though they usually expect substantial prior experience to enter them.

That said you might someone to team up with on here or the FRA forums if you ask around
 greg_may_ 18 Dec 2017
In reply to gazonk:

Nope, it's a team event.

SLMM has a solo class now.
gazonk 18 Dec 2017
Thanks all.

I guess will skip for this year as still quite green in the MM community. I am doing the fan dance in three weeks and want something to focus on for a next event.
womblingfree 18 Dec 2017

Having seen some footage of one if these would love to give it a go, can't stand running though!

But when I'm properly hill fit I can easily kick on at 5/6 kmh average for the day.

Would the beginners one of this be feasible, or just a stupid idea for a non runner?
 greg_may_ 18 Dec 2017
In reply to womblingfree:

How's your nav? The running is secondary.
womblingfree 18 Dec 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Not bad, truth be told I tend to rely on GPS but I did one of the of the Plas Y Brenin Nav weekenda a few years ago, and the Mountain Skills weekend too. It would be good to have a driver for refreshing it all!
 greg_may_ 18 Dec 2017

No GPS on the OMM. So make sure you're very confident with your Nav and working on a stripped back 1:40k Harveys map.
womblingfree 18 Dec 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Yup, i saw that on the FAQs while i was trying to find something on pace. Thanks.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Dec 2017
In reply to gazonk:
http://www.rocmountainmarathon.com/ allows solos in all classes

and this is a good series to practice on
http://www.minimountainmarathon.co.uk/
Post edited at 16:12
 Simon Caldwell 18 Dec 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

> SLMM has a solo class now.

It's always had a solo class, but that was an Elite class.
The new score class will allow solos, but requires MM experience.
 greg_may_ 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

True, but Klets is probably a bit beyond the OP without any experience.
Or most people TBH.
 summo 18 Dec 2017

As 'Greg may' says navigation is key. Find a partner and enter the short score, you control the distance that way and get a feel for the event.
womblingfree 18 Dec 2017
In reply to summo:

I've seen they do a lite version so going to give that a go
 DaveHK 18 Dec 2017

Too far south for me!
OP bouldery bits 18 Dec 2017

Whenever it's in Scotland I don't say it's too far! :P

Quite pleased to have a local one again
 Simon Caldwell 19 Dec 2017

The Lite is great fun, but it's all on public rights of way so won't prepare you for the hideous tussocky bogs that the OMM is famous for!
 summo 19 Dec 2017

> I've seen they do a lite version so going to give that a go

You'll be surprised how much ground you'll cover just power walking the flat and uphill, light jogging downhill, whilst precision naving, absolute optimum line, scanning the next leg so you are never stationary.

Try a few orienteering events through the year as prep, it'll improve your navigation and help you adjust to differing maps & scales.
 greg_may_ 19 Dec 2017

Don't run the tussock hell for the OP! Next you'll talk about the joys of a flooded midcamp
 greg_may_ 19 Dec 2017

Good call, OMM Lite is a nice intro.

Other options:
Kong series (formarly RAB MMM) are very good, 4 hrs, usually nice mixture of controls: http://www.minimountainmarathon.co.uk/

Peak Raid series, shorter at 3hrs, but often more devious controls: http://explorerevents.co.uk/

Obviously, some of the longer O's are worth a punt too: https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/

If you happen to be in the NW - there are loads of smaller MMM early spring in the various fell clubs.
womblingfree 19 Dec 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Thanks, Wales based so the Forest of Dean lite is appealing.

Also, came to the same conclusion on the orienteering, could do with something local ish, and more regular to keep nav and legs fresh for when I can't fit in weekend hills

Simon Caldwell 19 Dec 2017

The first of next year's Kong series is in North Wales
 Wainers44 19 Dec 2017

I'm in!

Dartmoor would be nice in one way (OK a nice fat familiar sort of a way!), but who cares where really, it will be a laugh. Long Score...only 13 hours in total...what can possible go wrong!!
 WaterMonkey 20 Dec 2017
I've just asked my mate and we're in too. Never done the OMM before so not sure which course we will go for. Knowing us probably the Elite and regret it immediately!

And thanks for posting this btw, given me something to aim for next year.
Post edited at 10:34
 WaterMonkey 20 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Looking at the website I think the elite might be a bit much for our first on! B or medium I think. Anyone have experience of these? Which is better to do? How far in advance do you get the maps to plan the route?
 Doghouse 20 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

B is still tough and you get the map as you go through the start gate so any planning time add to your overall time - planning on the hoof is a good skill to have
 galpinos 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Doghouse:

It's a while since I've done the OMM, it seems like you don't even need to mark the checkpoints on anymore? Luxury.....

Do you still get a little slip of paper with the grid refs and a description (of which, as a minimum, are re-entrants)?

I haven't done the OMM since 2009 in the Elan Valley as it was such a "corporate" feeling event over an uninspiring course compared to the Highlander, LAMM and Saunders. Maybe I should give it another go......
 galpinos 20 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Looking at the website I think the elite might be a bit much for our first on!

It depends on your level of fitness/capability but Elite is pretty full on

> B or medium I think. Anyone have experience of these? Which is better to do? How far in advance do you get the maps to plan the route?

It depends on you, obviously. The B class winners took 11hrs over the two days last year, the slowest took 20, lots did not finish. I've no idea of your fitness levelbut being a good "runner" is not enough, plenty of time "trotting" across moorland/over hills away from paths and good nav are what will get you round.

I started outdoing line courses (it's the simplest option) but having done a few score class events this year are growing to like them. If you chose score, you need a good awareness of your speed when covering different types of ground.

I would say pick a course you think you will be competitive, I've enjoyed it a lot more when we're got into to the chasing start and have managed to finish in the top 15 or so, it makes it feel a lot more like a race on day two. There's nothing like seeing B15 storm past you when you've B8 on your back to get a spring in your step and find a surge of pace......

WaterMonkey 20 Dec 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks for the advice. I don't really run much, more trotting on the North Downs. Fitness wise I found out last night that despite my mountain bike accident putting me out of action for most of the last year I'm still fit enough to sign up as an Army officer. Not that I am, I'm too old but it's nice to know I'm fit and strong enough!

I've done stuff like Yorkshire 3 peaks, National 3 peaks, attempted the 15 peaks etc. Navigating is no problem and bivvying we do lots of all through the year. Just need to work on my distance trotting I guess.

I think the B line route will be the one.

Simon Caldwell 20 Dec 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I think your memory is failing you - the 2009 OMM had pre-marked maps too, a different map for each course. My first OMM/KIMM was 2005 and that had pre-marked controls so whenever they did away with the paper with the grid refs it was before that!

The last event where you had to mark up your own map was the Saunders, but they changed to pre-marked maps last year. Though with theirs, as with the LAMM and ROC/RAB, the map has all controls for all courses marked, so you still get the list of grid refs
 galpinos 20 Dec 2017

My memory is undoubtedly failing me! I see you got second in class in the KONG mini series, good effort.

I do like a list of grid refs.......
 ben b 21 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

LAMM 2018 looks like it might be a Hebridean adventure

b
 DaveHK 21 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

> LAMM 2018 looks like it might be a Hebridean adventure

> b

Can't do that either because they've chosen to do it on a Friday!
 greg_may_ 21 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

I was hoping so

Jura again?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...