UKC

Ramsay's Round film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petestack 22 Dec 2017
Just released on Vimeo, here's Claire and Dave MacLeod's lovely little (20-minute) film of Alicia Hudelson's Ramsay's Round, for which I was support running in May this year and I believe premiered at Kendal in November:

vimeo.com/247954077

For the interested, my own blog account (in which you can learn how I bashed my head and broke my hand) is also available here:

http://www.petestack.com/blog/head-hands-and-heart.html
 More-On 22 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Thanks for the link Pete.
Thoroughly enjoyed the film at Kendal and was keen to see it again.
Hope your finger has healed...
 kwoods 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Had the pleasure to be involved with this film, on Mullach nan Coirean in the early morning with a pile of camera gear. The summit was breezy enough but I just bucketed sweat all the way up. Proper roaster of a day.
 john irving 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Thanks. Great film. When the weather in Lochaber is good, it’s great.
 Doghouse 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Excellent! Really really enjoyed that )
 SouthernSteve 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Thanks for posting. SS
Removed User 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Really nice. Captures the essence of the Lochaber hills.

Were the arial shots done with a drone?
OP petestack 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> Were the arial shots done with a drone?

Yes. I was quite surprised that Dave was able to fly it on our final ascent of Ben Nevis because it was really windy, but it was impressively stable and he can obviously handle it well. And, while acknowledging that some folk just seem to be anti-drone full stop, I'm convinced there's a place for responsible drone flying when you'd have needed (far more intrusive and probably prohibitively expensive) helicopters to get film like this a few years back...

DaveHK 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:
Great wee film Pete. It's kind of hard to explain the emotional connection one feels to the RR. I was really humbled by the degree to which others were invested in my round and that really comes across in the film.
Post edited at 20:14
Gone for good 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Great wee film. 20 years since i last walked most of them but how I love the Lochaber hills.
 bouldery bits 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Oooh! Looking forward to this when I get a chance later.
 EuanM 23 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed that.

I’d love to have an attempt at the RR in the future.
 Robert Durran 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Wonderful film!
 mountainbagger 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Wow, thanks for posting that. Really great inspiring film.

I don't have much (any) experience doing this sort of thing, but it seemed to me the night section was orders of magnitude harder than the daytime. Not just a bit harder. Even with support, there seemed to be a very high probability of the wheels coming off. It also appeared to be near the end! Are some attempts started in the dark or evening to avoid being in the dark late on? Apologies if it is a silly question, I am just curious
OP petestack 24 Dec 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:

Where you hit the night will be influenced by multiple factors including speed of runner(s), direction of round, where you're most comfortable with it (think it least hindrance) etc. My round seven years ago was planned noon-to-noon with the Loch Treig group at night, but Alicia chose to start early morning. If you're Jasmin Paris, you can finish the whole thing in summer daylight!
In reply to petestack:

Hi, thanks very much for the reply.

I read your blog, which was great but the X-ray looked odd... thought I was going mad and counted twice to make sure. There seemed to be a finger missing! Then I read further down that was indeed the case

Anyway, well done for supporting. Hope the injury mends quickly.
 Marmoteer 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

I really enjoyed the film. I loved the night time lapse; watching the head torches bob around the horizon
 JamButty 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

nice one....loved it...
 alicia 24 Dec 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:

I would agree that night was orders of magnitude harder than day! I'm generally crap at anything that happens during the dark, I just want to go home and go to sleep. It was especially bad on the Ramsay because there was a slight gear mixup that separated me from my caffeine pills all night, and I was too sick to keep from throwing up that lovely coffee Pete brought me!

Many people prefer to start rounds in the evening and get the night section out of the way while they're physically fresher, but I find it mentally easier to have the night section at the end so you have the feeling of being almost done.
In reply to alicia:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Alicia. It's not quite idle curiosity that leads me to ask (though a round like the Ramsay is a long way from where I am currently), so thanks for the honest info and the inspiration!
 Patrick Roman 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

10 minutes before my salmon pie is ready so enough time to agree with everyone else - an excellent film! Some great shots of the Ben, and I really liked the night footage of the head torch bobbing around!

This is the kind of film that gets me attempting something like this, and the kind of film I'll end up cursing when I'm 24 hours into my attempt and still only half way through...
 mbh 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

I really enjoyed this.

I (a one time failee of the BGR!) got a real sense of what doing something like this entails, and what it meant to the people involved. The scenery is just beautiful.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but Alicia looks pretty damn good as a runner, yet she only just made it, at the second attempt, with lots of support. At 500 ft/mile over 56 miles I don't need this film to tell me so, but clearly the RR is a challenge and a half. Respect to Alicia, and I hope your hand and head have recovered by now.
 DaveHK 24 Dec 2017
In reply to mbh:

> Also, excuse my ignorance, but Alicia looks pretty damn good as a runner, yet she only just made it, at the second attempt, with lots of support.

Perhaps not the kind of terrain she usually runs on? Plus, I don't know how much of a chance she had to familiarise herself with it although good support negates that a little bit.

baron 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Lovely film.
Really liked the way it showed the effort, from the individual and the support team, that goes into one of these challenges.
Coming in close to the cut off time and then throwing up shows just how hard it was.
Brilliant effort all round!
OP petestack 24 Dec 2017
In reply to More-On, mountainbagger and mbh:
> Hope your finger has healed...
> Hope the injury mends quickly.
> hope your hand and head have recovered by now.

Long since better, thanks! While it was the head that took us to A&E and I'd probably not have gone for the hand alone, that was actually the bigger nuisance since I teach music and was playing flute, piano and organ at a wedding just three weeks later. But I managed despite not being able to hold the flute for a few days, even if it took longer to mend completely and kept me from climbing (on which note the one thing they told me not to do that I'd not have tried anyway like that was mountain biking!).

In reply to baron:
> Coming in close to the cut off time and then throwing up

She was throwing up all night but I was just too discreet to film it. Claire MacLeod, on the other hand...

More-On 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

> Long since better, thanks!

Excellent news. As the husband of a music teacher I could feel your pain!
Doubly so as Belford once put my head back together.
Anyway, cracking film - thanks again for letting us know it was 'out there'.

BusyLizzie 25 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:

Lovely film, and such an amazing achievement. What a thrill to run in those mountains.
 BusyLizzie 25 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:
Pete, that's a great blog.

I did a double-take at the xray ... you play flute, piano and organ and you seem to have a finger missing on your left hand??? That's astonishing (I have enough trouble playing piano and organ with the full complement of fingers...)
Post edited at 21:54
OP petestack 25 Dec 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Pete, that's a great blog.

Thanks!

> I did a double-take at the xray ... you play flute, piano and organ

About a dozen instruments, actually, but I'm not here to blow my own trumpet (which isn't one of them!)...

> and you seem to have a finger missing on your left hand??? That's astonishing (I have enough trouble playing piano and organ with the full complement of fingers...)

Lots of people do more astonishing things with less, and I assure you I have enough trouble too!

Now (wishing I'd left my blog out of it) let's talk about Alicia's Ramsay's Round and Claire and Dave's film!
 BusyLizzie 26 Dec 2017
In reply to petestack:
No, your blog was important and will have been read with pleasure by many. I am getting in to distance running (on a much smaller scale!) and learning how important support is, and it is interesting to see how it works in the really epic instances such as this one.
Post edited at 15:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...