UKC

Recommendation for magnifying glass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Tucker 02 Jun 2018

My eyesight has deteriorated so that i find it difficult discerning fine details on a map. This is tge same whether im wearing my varifocals or contacts and reading glasses. In general not a problem but on a recent orienteering event i realky struggled with the final detailed navigation to the controls, esoecially discerning walls amongst the contours. 

I thought a magnifier would be a help. Id apprecuate suggestions, recommendations from people in similar situation.

Phil

Dave the Rave 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Isn’t there a magnifier on Silva compass base plates?

SouthernSteve 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

The flat plastic ones are quite useful, not very expensive and much better than the ones in the compass. I don't need it, but we recently had 'a debate' over a road versus a boundary in poor light and we now have one of the below which seems to have renewed the previous harmony over the way to go!

e.g. https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/harvey-maps-pocket-magnifier-large-S14241...

David Riley 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

You can put an app on your phone. There seems to be loads of them under names like magnifier/reading glasses/magnifying glass.

SouthernSteve 02 Jun 2018
In reply to David Riley:

Might get you disqualified in an orienteering event though!

Moley 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I use a monocle (seriously), goes around your neck and is far, far quicker and easier than a pair of reading glasses.

I slip it into one eye (only need one hand) read map and let it drop. I'm surprised others haven't cottoned onto it. OK it takes a little practise , but only a little and you soon have the hang of it. You put it into one eye, but keep both eyes open to map read; somehow (technical stuff) the eyes compensate and all comes into focus. Obviously you wouldn't try to read a book with it, but damn handy for days on the hills, going out to dinner and reading the menu etc.

mantelself 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Moley:

> I use a monocle (seriously), goes around your neck and is far, far quicker and easier than a pair of reading glasses.

I've been wanting to try this for a while but where can I get a suitable (non fancy dress/robust) type frame? My otherwise brilliant optician doesn't seem to know. I can get free lenses made up as part of my contact lens plan.

I'm at the point where I can get by most of the day and in good light with a standard contact lens in one side and a multifocal in the other. This gets much harder at dusk or on an early start. I particularly struggle setting a compass bezel/setting the needle in the baseplate in these conditions as I can't hold it far enough away to focus. Any 3D-ish task seems harder with only near vision in one eye. I can read fine but taking in an expanse of map is sometimes tricky due to the blur from my other eye.

Moley 04 Jun 2018
In reply to mantelself:

It was actually my optician who put me into the monocle and he ordered it up, sorted out magnification and size but I don't know his supplier. Plenty on fleabay but mainly dressing up monocles rather than practical ones, I'm guessing.

My optician was a cyclist and used one to map read on his bike, I told him my problem trying to map read whilst running about the hills and he immediately suggested the monocle and ordered one. I wouldn't be without it now.

nniff 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I use a magnifying glass for maps - it came from the Map Shop in Upton (goggle it).  Round, in a little case.  I have it on a piece of cord that is lightly too big for the hole so it will slide up the cord and into the case and stay there.  It has the main lens and then a small subsidiary higher power one within it.  About the size of a credit card overall.

Considered a monocle for placing gear when climbing, when the placement is right under one's nose rather than a convenient arm's length. 

tlouth7 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Silva do a magnifier that mounts onto their compasses (thumb or baseplate). It is a bit pricey though:

https://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/product/silva-spectra-magnifier/

The advantage is that it is held the right distance from the map, and is always in the right place. Looks a bit vulnerable though.

OP Phil Tucker 05 Jun 2018
In reply to tlouth7:

Thanks agree with your criticisms though, especially the price!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...