UKC

REDs in sport - runner Bobby Clay's story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Murray 12 Mar 2021

I noticed a really good article here not that long ago re. relative energy deficiency in sport by Mina Leslie-Wujastyk , and today the BBC are running a similarly themed article about an ex-elite female runner, Bobby Clay.  Sadly. Bobby has had to retire from running already...... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/56353786

Roadrunner6 12 Mar 2021
In reply to Phil Murray:

> I noticed a really good article here not that long ago re. relative energy deficiency in sport by Mina Leslie-Wujastyk , and today the BBC are running a similarly themed article about an ex-elite female runner, Bobby Clay.  Sadly. Bobby has had to retire from running already...... 

I've known quite a few suffer.

It's sad because sometimes you can see the athlete start to struggle and then end up in a vicious cycle of injury, poor performance and mental health issues.. Guys also get weight issues but it seems much more prevalent in the young female athletes. 

Anna Frost has also struggled. Many don't recover and then end up with fertility issues.

Post edited at 18:13
OP Phil Murray 12 Mar 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

It's true, and certainly an issue amongst some runners, mainly female. 

I spend a lot of lockdown on YouTube (!), & saw an amazing german 10000m record on the track in the USA recently by Konstanza Klosterhalfen (sp?), but if you look it up... well my overriding feeling was, oh no.  She is an amazing distance runner, though, no question. .... 

youtube.com/watch?v=fSppchjUqyg&t=1589

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...