UKC

running and motivation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phill Mitch 08 May 2014
I have recently started to get back into running and find I can't get motivated without a goal.
I have started by timing myself on a short run and seeing if I can knock time off each week. Then do a bit further and do the same.
I realise this motivation is finite but it does work for me so far.
What do you use to motivate yourself and how does it work?
Or am I just a lazy toad that needs a kick up the arse?
 JamButty 08 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Enter an event?
Parkruns?

I've been feeling rough all week and forced myself out of the door this evening for a short run. Sweat it all out, and I feel really good.!

Curry 08 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I motivate myself by picking a race not too far off in the future and just work towards it, and then after that, the same, like little stepping stones. I'm a fairly average runner mind, I have periods of lethargy and lack motivation but sometimes it's just a case of putting the shoes on and getting out the door, once that part's over, the run is easy!

Also just simply trying to get pb's in this race or that race, one's that I've already done once and know I can do much better next time around. Personally I really want to run a sub 1.30 half marathon, I'm running the Stockholm one in September, pan flat course so it's possible, but still have to train like a b'stard!

Failing that, sticking Rocky IV on always works! The training montage in the mountains, just brilliant!
 althesin 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Strava, find some segments near you, probably too motivating.....
 Ridge 09 May 2014
In reply to althesin:

> Strava, find some segments near you, probably too motivating.....

It's not you who stalks my segments and steals my KOMs is it??

Strava is good, particularly if you have some mates/locals in tne area to compete against and have a bit of banter leaving comments. The downside is you can get into a "if I didn't record it on strava it didn't happen" mindset.

Getting a dog who likes running is a good motivator, they haunt you looking miserable untill you put the trainers on...

Keeping a running log is good, or if you're into smartphones taking the odd photo on instagram, so it uploads automatically to strava, is a good motivator when you look back through your runs.
 Ava Adore 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

work out what you'd REALLY like to do - do you want to be able to run a particular distance? Do you want to be able to run at a certain speed/a set distance within a certain time? You can of course have more than one goal but if you know what you really want to achieve you can then start to work out how to get there and in what time frame
 kathrync 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

> I have recently started to get back into running and find I can't get motivated without a goal.

This isn't going to help you at all, but I read that as "without a goat"
 Ava Adore 09 May 2014
In reply to kathrync:

You're kidding
 Chris the Tall 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Much to my surprise, I'm really enyoying* doing the local parkrun ( http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ ) on a Saturday morning

Motivates me to get out of bed before 9, which has to be a good thing

*Do I enjoy running ? Not really, but I enjoy having run !!
 The New NickB 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Join a club. I certainly find this motivates me. Motivates me to get better, motivates me to get out when I know I have mates to run with.
 Tall Clare 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I'm a completely hopeless runner but I've just provided myself with motvation to do a race in September by announcing that I'm seeking sponsorship. Eek.
 yorkshireman 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Lots of good ideas on here, and everyone is different so you will have to experiment. From my personal experience however:

1. Do the kind of running you enjoy. I'm lucky enough to live in the mountains so mostly run scenic trails, which is often enough of a motivator, especially this time of year when the weather is great. Grinding out on the road is sometimes necessary but day in/day out it would drive me mental.

2. Run with a dog. I've got a border collie who now basically expects to come running with me if I so much as open the cupboard with all my running clothes, and still needs walking if I don't feel like running, so 9 times out of 10 I might as well put my trainers on kill two birds with one stone.

3. Break up your training. I split my year into 4 or 5 week chunks and try to target a race at the end of each one so I have mini goals. Then after the race I take a week 'off' were I only run a few tiimes and do other things to get refreshed, and not plateau.

4. Record your runs. I use Strava and now have 5 years worth of running date. Its great to see progress and easier to not kid yourself that you're doing enough. I'm a bit of a geek and love the stats - there aren't really many people near me to compete with on segments but just seeing progress in terms of improvement is motivating enough.
 althesin 09 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Not me, but i too have been the victim of segment jacking. I feel your pain.
 Mark Torrance 09 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Join a club...motivates me to get out when I know I have mates to run with.

And motivates me to get out on my own so that I can keep up when I'm with the club.

For me it's all about weekly mileage. Even when I can't be bothered with a structured plan (much of the time, at the moment) I always have a mileage goal. Which means that you can have can't-be-arsed days, but then need to make up for them at the weekend.

That, and making "I'll run there" a default strategy whenever you need to be somewhere else. Note that this works better for trips into town than it does for overseas work commitments.
 The New NickB 09 May 2014
In reply to Mark Torrance:

> And motivates me to get out on my own so that I can keep up when I'm with the club.

I tend to run with a couple of different groups of runners within the club, there is a strong but friendly rivalry between the groups. Lots of texting run stats between people, lots of doubting the accuracy of said stats, sometimes legitimately. Lots of accusations of 'secret' training as well, all good fun in a blokey sort of way, but great for training as I can find people to run with every day of the week.
OP Phill Mitch 09 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Thanks folks, I feel the time goal is going to work well, I might think of working towards a race but don't feel I want to race as such. It might get me out though.
I am the same as Chris the tall in that I don't really enjoy running but enjoy having run! Good one Chris.
 mbh 10 May 2014
In reply to Mark Torrance:

> For me it's all about weekly mileage. Even when I can't be bothered with a structured plan (much of the time, at the moment) I always have a mileage goal. Which means that you can have can't-be-arsed days, but then need to make up for them at the weekend.

That is pretty much how it works for me.

I try to vary where I run to keep it more interesting, so I run around where I work as well as around where I live, and mix off-road (the coast path, mainly) with road running.

I am not in a club, but find that Strava and Fit Club give me some motivation.
OP Phill Mitch 10 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I have set up map my run on my phone and intend to use that as a timer and motivator. Is Strava similar to that?
 mbh 10 May 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:
It times and tracks your runs, gives you split times, logs your weekly training totals, lets you follow and be followed by others, tells you how you did on segments of your route, and places you on a leader board for those segments so you can see how you are doing compared to others.

It's tone is overtly competitive, but in a fun kind of way and you can use it as you please.

There are Android and IoS apps for it, and you can upload too from GPS watches.
Post edited at 12:21
OP Phill Mitch 10 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

Ok great, thanks. It does sound very similar to map my run.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...