UKC

running in the cold.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 21 Mar 2013
I have recently started up running again and was just thinking about cold weather running.....

I do not currently own any leggings suitable for running and so was wondering what combination of clothing the folk of ukc recommend. Should I just go for shorts and brave the cold or be soft and wear trackies?

I wonder that trackies can rub annoyingly.

Does coating the legs in vaseline work or would a pair of helly hansen leggings under shorts be a good option?

AT
OP AdCo82 21 Mar 2013
and can anyone recommend a cheap hi vis running jacket that is available online?

cheap as possible but still half decent (I'm size large).
 Gav Parker 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Ron Hills or tights....
In reply to An Triubhas: Ive run throughout the winter and dont have any running leggings. On one occasion i was running in a blizzard, which was fantastic as I was warmed up by then but people must have though I was nuts

When its really cold, I wear a really thick hat or normal cap, normal running shorts, normal socks, thermal base layer or bamboo base layer, t-shirt or micro fleece on top and some good Rab Windstopper gloves. Its a bit nippy to start but after a mile or so I'm nice and toasty.

By the time I'm finished I'm sweating like a pervert.
 Wee Davie 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

I've done a few sub zero runs in the last few weeks. I'm not usually one for leggings either but have really benefitted from them recently. I just use my winter thermal layers with shorts over them. Trackies would be fine as long as you grease up your haw maws!
OP AdCo82 21 Mar 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

thanks for that. That combination is what I am thinking is best as I don't really like running in long bottoms and prefer shorts!
 Liam M 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I use running tights for easy runs in the winter (I have Asics and Ron Hill ones, but most seem fairly similar). You can normally find some on offer in the likes if Sweatshop.
 malky_c 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Shorts and t-shirt all the way. I don't even push myself that hard but I'd still overheat with anything more on.
 Mark Torrance 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Your question betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of winter running.

The sole reason for going out in winter is because it legitimises wearing tight lycra in public. Why else would you want to run when it's cold?
 David Riley 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Ran this evening in my usual Troll climbing trousers. Winter and summer.
 Oceanic 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

3/4 length lycra tights.
Short sleeve thermal.
Pertex top with hood.
Gloves.

Bumbag to put the gloves and Pertex top in if I overheat.

I don't take a hat unless it's very cold.
 Banned User 77 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Just any pertex jacket is fine.. or even just a cheap like this..

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-hi-viz-run-jacket-mens-452295

I wear leggins or shorts if doing a hard session..
Removed User 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
> I've done a few sub zero runs in the last few weeks. I'm not usually one for leggings either but have really benefitted from them recently. I just use my winter thermal layers with shorts over them.

Me too. On top I wear a helly hansen long sleeved vest and a thermal tee on top of that and then a windproof top. However I don't wear all that unless the temperature is below about 3 deg C and/or there's a cold wind blowing. I never wear a hat or gloves.
 DancingOnRock 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Technically you should wear something that covers the knees as the ligaments don't have a good blood supply and can get damaged when cold.

However, I wear shorts, I bought some tracksuit trousers when it dropped to -6'C but the ice meant I had to be careful and slow.

Hilly hi viz are ok.
 andy 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: sports direct own Karrimor and they're doing Karrimor tights for twelve quid. I'd also warn against going commando - severe risk of chafing injuries - M&S sports briefs are a good investment.
 Run_Ross_Run 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Any leggings will do to keep you warm. I found some really good nike one's at an outlet before Christmas and they're better than my berghaus winter one's.

Top wise. If its still and really cold then whatever top you normally wear and a gillet on top to keep the core warm. If windy then windshirt with the gilet over that.

Ive ran in cold conditions with the wrong layers before and ended up with a 2 day headcold.
SteWh 21 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Used to wear Ron Hill leggings in the cold which are excellent, so good in fact that my wife stole them. I now use full length compression tights instead. Skins A200 (other compression tights may be just as good). I've found - like the theory that the Compression helps, particularly on Long Runs. They are not super warm but in my opinion suitable for all but the most extreme conditions. They don't rub. They do sit a bit low at the waist line so I wear shoerts over the top.
In reply to An Triubhas: Embrace the winter temperatures, if your cold then your not running fast enough. I remember getting off a run last january and I had to peel the sweat of my forehead as it had frozen.
 Mark Torrance 21 Mar 2013
In reply to barneythevelociraptor:

This...

> if your cold then your not running fast enough.

... is just silly. On several levels.
In reply to An Triubhas:
I wear a 3/4 pant - not sure of the right term but it goes below the knees. I wear a hat, gloves, thermal vest or base layer, running vest and track suit jacket. After about 20 mins I will take off the hat and gloves if it's about 3/4c and adjust this accordingly. If it's below freezing the hat and gloves stay on. I don't like being cold.
Cold is the enemy especially when I'm climbing as I am more susceptible to injuries however I don't find that with running.
 yorkshireman 22 Mar 2013
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Embrace the winter temperatures, if your cold then your not running fast enough. I remember getting off a run last january and I had to peel the sweat of my forehead as it had frozen.

This attitude ends up getting a bit like the 4 Yorkshireman sketch in Monty Python.

You're right to a degree, but where I run, always in the mornings, it hasn't been above zero since October (at 8am). I've come back with a frozen beard and frozen clothes as the sweat wicks through the layers.

I leerned that trying to MTFU is one thing (which is surely something we do every day in running), but being uncomfortable for the sake of a couple of layers of cheap polyester is a bit stupid. Also, running in crusty spring snow is quite abrasive on bare skin as I've discovered wearing only shorts and ending up to my thighs in places.

Anyway, just got back from a short run - it was only -3 today but it was tights, base layer and thicker technical running top, pair of thin running gloves and a buff. Still two pairs of socks because the snow is crusty so keep breaking through in places.

To be honest I was too hot, but my clothes are comfortable so it wasn't really a big deal. Because I run down a snowy deserted valley I would rather be too warm then be cold - if I turn an ankle I had a spare fleece and hat in my running pack.
 Fredt 22 Mar 2013
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Embrace the winter temperatures, if your cold then your not running fast enough.

I'll remember that on my 20 mile run over Bleaklow tomorrow.
 Aly 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to barneythevelociraptor)
> [...]
>
> I'll remember that on my 20 mile swim over Bleaklow tomorrow.

Corrected that for you

In reply to the OP:

I'm a big fan of tights for winter running - even for speed/track sessions when its cold as my knees get stiff otherwise. Ronhills are a bit thicker and can be good for longer steady runs in the hills but I really like running tights. Sportsdirect usually have a decent selection of adidas/nike versions (which I prefer to the Karrimor ones) on some kind of offer.

A light running hat and thin gloves are very useful too. Exremities do a great running beanie (called power dry) and some thin gloves - they can just get stuffed into your short/tight waistband when you warm up.

If you're running in much snow a pair of Inov-8 debri-gaiters stop your shoes from filling up with snow and save your feet from the cold a bit (they also work well to stop heather/sand/stones/bog getting into your shoes).

Hat Dude 22 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Aldi & Lidl do good running tights & pertex type jackets which are good quality at very good prices. Unfortunately they tend to only have them in the shops in autumn.

I also use one of their headbands to keep my ears warm as I tend to get too hot wearing a hat
 Fredt 22 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

When its cold, I always wear two pairs of socks, one pair on my feet...
 yorkshireman 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)

> I also use one of their headbands to keep my ears warm as I tend to get too hot wearing a hat

This is why I like to wear a Buff. You can fold it into a beanie if its really cold, wear it as a bandana in hot sun, and roll it into a head band if you just want to keep your ears warm. Really compact and quick-drying too.

GordyB 22 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

For mountain runs at night (3000') winter, it's a quality Gore running tights, or similiar. Aldi / Lidl have good cheaper alternatives, daytime running in dry conditions, then shorts. decathalon favourite at moment.
 ablackett 22 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I have done a lot of winter and night running in the Lake District, general gear is leggings 2x base layer and light waterproof. Perhaps sealskin socks + running socks. Don't be shy to wear the waterproof if it's not raining, it will do later if you are out long enough.

If it gets below about -7 degrees I would think about putting a thin fleece under the waterproof.

Carry a running backpack or bum bag and you can always take a layer off.

Tights will keep your legs warmer than shorts, so might lead to less injury.
 ohsmeg 22 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
I live in Aviemore so running in the cold - often below freezing - is the norm for me. There's often snow on the ground but that's never such a problem as cold wind.

I wear Ron Hills, with Helly thermal leggings underneath during the winter months. On top, Helly long-sleeved,high-necked vest or Ron Hill ditto, and Ron Hill windproof. Merino socks, fleece beanie, Buff, Sealskin windproof gloves.

Don't worry about being soft. Keeping the wind out and keeping your leg muscles warm are important. Merino socks keep your feet warm even if they get wet.

Keep the wind out and you'll soon be warm. If you run off road and off the beaten track, as I do, I would suggest taking an insulated gilet in your running backpack, just in case.

Lidl do low-price hi-viz jackets under their own Crivet label, although there's never any guarantee what they'll have in stock from one week to the next. Try your local army surplus, or Halfords BikeHut if there's one near you. A cyclist's reflective jacket would be okay. Or you could consider any low price windproof jacket with some reflective sticky tape added. Or a Sam Browne reflective across-the-shoulder chest strap over it.
Hope this helps. Happy winter running - there's nothing like it!

mbh 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

I look at the Met office weather app before going out. If its less than about 5 degrees outside I wear leggings, otherwise I wear shorts. The app temperature prediction has proved a more reliable guide as to what to wear than me going out on to the front step and peering at the sky, after which I always overdress.

If it's dark and cold I wear a long sleeved baselayer and a hi-vis pertex top over that (mine's a Montane one, but that cheap Karrimor one looks just as good. I had a fancy Brooks one but my wife uses that now.)

If its not dark, but still cold, I wear a running singlet and an insulated pertex windshirt on top of that.

I've only just given up wearing a hat and gloves too. I even took to wearing thick gloves on sub zero days after I found that thin ones didn't prevent miles of hot-ache pain.
 Ava Adore 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

I cannot bear being cold but run in lycra leggings just below my knees and genuinely never notice the cold once I've started running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...