UKC

Running leggings with ankle zips, why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 20 Nov 2020

My better half treated me to some nice Nike running leggings for my birthday. Just like I've always wanted :-D, little zip for a key. don't have to wear shorts over the top like my old thermal leggings which have a hole in an important place!

However, they have ankle zips - I don't understand why.... It feels like a weakness that could break, or that the zips could slowly undo while I run then the calves will flap around. I have no idea this is only my second pair of running leggings in my life. 1st world problems I know.

Anyone know why the zips exist or have any experience of wearing them?

I've not taken the tags off yet and can return (ASOS) but I really want to like them and keep them because they seem nice and high quality and I generally like Nike stuff.

Thanks all.

DaveHK 20 Nov 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

So you can put them on over big feet or perhaps even shoes.

webbo 20 Nov 2020

Ankle zips are throw back to track suit bottoms. You would have your shorts on underneath them while you were warming up to race. Then you whip them off without needing to take your shoes off, just before you get down in the blocks.

Post edited at 16:02
 anthonylewis 20 Nov 2020

I've got a pair of running tights with zips, no issues to report. About ten years old so I think safe to say the zips are alright 

girlymonkey 20 Nov 2020

Some lycra is more stretchy than others. If it's not very stretchy, it can be hard to get over your feet sometimes, so the zips help this. 

ebdon 20 Nov 2020

I think I'd struggle to get into my cycling bib leggings without zips, maybe I just have fat calves!

OP elliot.baker 20 Nov 2020

ok I'm reassured all - thanks - I'll take the tags off and go for a run with them.

It's one of those things I've wanted a pair of for ages but never pulled the trigger because I'm too indecisive, have to wait for a birthday and for someone else to make the decision haha

matt_chan 20 Nov 2020

Maybe not the designed reason but if they get all muddy you can unzip and roll them up - stops you dropping mud in the car / house.

AdrianC 20 Nov 2020

I couldn't get mine on without the zips.  They work fine.  Keep 'em.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...