UKC

Running Shoe Research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
laurenmcginley 13 Oct 2020

Hey, I am a student at Strathclyde university and I was wondering if anyone could fill out this survey for me, it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GD628QV?fbclid=IwAR3WEZd_orRatLH6kOObL1cJ4...

Michael Hood 13 Oct 2020
In reply to laurenmcginley:

Done

bouldery bits 13 Oct 2020

I've answered it. 

I don't thinking my answers will be very helpful tho...

Sorry!!

Post edited at 18:53
 mountainbagger 13 Oct 2020

Done!

Ridge 13 Oct 2020

Done. Seemed a bit of a random question set though!

deepsoup 13 Oct 2020

If it's your survey, why does the link have all that Facebook nonsense added on the end as if you'd just 'shared' it from FB?

(Here's the link without: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GD628QV )

Done, anyway.  Your survey seems a bit vague, but very quick and painless so that's good. 

plyometrics 13 Oct 2020

Done.

Be interested to understand what you’re hoping to glean from it. 

colinakmc 13 Oct 2020

Done. Is it for a marketing degree?

In reply to colinakmc:

Its for a product design degree, hoping to get research towards creating a functional but easily recycled shoe 

In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah sorry its because i sent it to myself to copy the link onto here, Thank you for your feedback and completion 

In reply to Michael Hood:

Thank you!

In reply to bouldery bits:

Dont worry any feedback is good feedback, Thank you

In reply to mountainbagger:

Thank you!

In reply to Ridge:

Thank you, Im mostly trying to establish research to create a new market for running shoes, im hoping to create a running shoe that will be 100% environmentally aware for both the product and user

Wainers44 13 Oct 2020

Done 

deepsoup 14 Oct 2020

Ah, I see.  No worries, it happens all the time - sooo many people post links on here with all that 'fbclid' garbage attached to the end.

It occurs to me that you might be missing a trick if you want to know how long shoes are lasting. 

The numbers in the survey will be largely guesswork, but many people use GPS watches (or their phones) to record all their runs these days.  I wasn't a particularly early adopter, but have worn out two pairs of new shoes in the time I've been using a Garmin watch.  Maybe you could supplement your data from this survey with another one asking for more detail from long term users of Garmin/Strava/etc.

For example I can tell you that my Saucony Peregrine 7's did 1309km before I threw them out.  (Later than I should have probably, they were absolutely shredded.)  My Perergrine ISO's did 694km (Rather less impressive than their predecessors.)  The current Peregrine 10's are wearing much better, 826km so far and they look and feel like there's still plenty of life left in them.

ianstevens 14 Oct 2020

Salomon released one in the last few months. Could be worth looking into, at least for comparison . 

laurenmcginley 14 Oct 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Thank you, ill take a look

laurenmcginley 14 Oct 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah that's a very good point, I know a lot of people have only recently started to use things like strava and Garmin for tracking. Im hoping to manage to do more research further down the line, Im at the very beginning of my project but will hopefully have more in the coming weeks to ask.

My project is going to be all bout looking at each component of the shoes and trying to extend their life or atleast make their transition into waste alot less envirnmentally negative. Was considering a shoe that would come apart to replace the part that damages first but need to make sure it doesnt effect the function as well. 

Thank you so much for your feedback, very helpful! 

Herdwickmatt 14 Oct 2020

You could try attackpoint as well. They have some good data fields about shoes and types of footwear. Its majoritively orienteers so definitely at the data/obsessive end of running spectrum

PPP 14 Oct 2020

Just a note that what’s important in the shoe is quite tricky to answer. I don’t think my short answer was good enough. 

I do have 18 shoes in rotation. Very few are similar - some of them highly cushioned road shoes, workout/racing road shoes, some fell running shoes, some ultra/trail running shoes... it’s hard not to write an essay!

Good foam might be important for a road shoe and durability is not typically a concern as midsole gives up before uppers. For fell shoes, that might be grip, ground feel or durability. For trail, that might be responsiveness, cushioning, protection, weight, grip, water retention... 

Hope that helps. I’m no pro and not a shoe reviewer, but I like hoarding running shoes as I run a fair bit. 

Mark Collins 15 Oct 2020

Done 🙂

kathrync 19 Oct 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> For example I can tell you that my Saucony Peregrine 7's did 1309km before I threw them out.  (Later than I should have probably, they were absolutely shredded.)  My Perergrine ISO's did 694km (Rather less impressive than their predecessors.)  The current Peregrine 10's are wearing much better, 826km so far and they look and feel like there's still plenty of life left in them.

To add to this, some people use Garmin or similar tracking to retire shoes based on mileage rather than length of service.  I retire mine from running and relegate them to dossing when they get to 1000km. I am quite light and don't damage the outer much, but there is usually noticeable compression in the midsole by then and my shins usually thank me when I replace them so it seems about right.  Consequently, my answer to that question was "1000 km" rather than something like "6 months", which I guess is what the OP was expecting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...