UKC

Running with upper body injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 14 Feb 2019

Despite being able to run on rough terrain with a headtorch, running on well lit roads turned out to be a bit beyond me, and I managed to fall off the kerb last Tuesday. I've ended up with what feels like a couple of cracked ribs and an arm from elbow to shoulder that resembles something  done in purple by the 'Tattoo fixers'. Think I've a couple of minor muscle tears in there, but the rotator cuff seems to work ok (if painfully).

Did a slow 5 miles this Tuesday. Shoulder aching a bit today but better range of movement. Ribs still a bit hurty.

Another 5 or 6 tonight?

Dark-Cloud 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

You ribs wont heal very quickly if you keep running, i would have another week off, its going to make naff all difference to your fitness.

Post edited at 16:47
 ianstevens 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Ribs not sure about, but FWIW I went running with my wrist in plaster a few years back...

mbh 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Rib things take time to heal. They can get worse before they get better. That's what the note said that I took home from the minor injury unit after going head first down our stairs. That time, and the couple of times later when I somehow strained something around the ribs without actually bashing them, running was out of the question for a week or two. It just hurt too much, as did laughing, sneezing, coughing etc.

LeeWood 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

I'm on the mend from a broken rib; now at the 3wk mark I would risk a run, as I can once more cough without much trauma; Patience!

PS. But I was climbing (soft) 3 days after the break - no dynamic movements !

mbh 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

ps Ouch! My sympathies.

webbo 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

When I broke my ribs I got a bollocking from my GP for not taking the pain killers I was prescribed. Due to when you have painful ribs you do not breath properly and this can lead to a chest infection.

In reply to Ridge:

I’d get some medical advice just to be safe........

OP Ridge 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Thanks all. Went out for a little 3 miler. Have to say ribs are the biggest concern, so keeping the breaths shallow. Funnily enough I think it's actually beneficial for the shoulder, seems to be regaining the range of movement steadily. Think the increased blood flow and beaking up the adhesions is helpful.

OP Ridge 14 Feb 2019
In reply to I like climbing:

> I’d get some medical advice just to be safe........

Mrs Ridge is an ex-nurse, MTFU was her sympathetic professional opinion as I hobbled round the kitchen like Quasimodo...

webbo 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> Thanks all. Went out for a little 3 miler. Have to say ribs are the biggest concern, so keeping the breaths shallow. Funnily enough I think it's actually beneficial for the shoulder, seems to be regaining the range of movement steadily. Think the increased blood flow and beaking up the adhesions is helpful.

As I mentioned above shallow breathing is likely to lead to a chest infection.

In reply to Ridge:

> Mrs Ridge is an ex-nurse, MTFU was her sympathetic professional opinion as I hobbled round the kitchen like Quasimodo...

Blimey !

In reply to Ridge:

Whilst no expert I woukd say listen to your bones. A mate of mine who broke his ribs was told by his doc that when he could cough without severe pain he was ready.

Rigid Raider 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

My broken ribs were tolerable after a month but took three months to stop hurting properly. Keep that shoulder moving - I'm stuck with a frozen shoulder, which was the consequence of having my arm in a sling for a month or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...