UKC

running with wet feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So I bought a pair of Speed cross 3 shoes and went for a 6 miler around an undulating boggy bridle path. Rather worryingly my toes got pretty sore from the wet sock. Does anyone have any tips for socks that are more suited for wet trainers? I was just wearing a (on the thickish side) pair of cotton ankle socks.

I'm a bit worried because i was planning on wearing there for the Stuc a chroin 5000. Now I have a potential shoe / blister problem on top of my woeful lack of fitness
 Carolyn 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

I'd guess most vaguely "technical" socks well work better than cotton ones - either synthetics, merino wool, or a mix of the two. I certainly have no great problems with either, but tend to wear wool.

Or some will wear waterproof socks such as Sealskins. I never got on with them for walking/running (mainly used mountainbiking) - but it was a while back that I tried them, and I think the newer ones are thinner and more flexible?
 Nutkey 12 Apr 2013
Don't use cotton socks. I mostly use hilly mono socks, or something a bit thicker for mountain marathons, because when I used monos, I wore a hole through them on day 1, but I don't remember getting a blister.
 Ava Adore 12 Apr 2013

I bought a pair of Nike staydry (or some such name). They're ace.
 nniff 12 Apr 2013

Hilly twinskin and loads of vaseline to waterproof my feet a bit. Not sure about sealskinz if you're runnng though bogs (ie anything that imvolves going in up to your shins)
 Voltemands 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: Anothervote for Hilly's twin skin. I went from regular blisters to none over night with them. Not cheap mind.
 StefanB 12 Apr 2013

For short stuff simple close fitting inexpensive non-cotton socks. I prefer thinner ones, but opinions vary. For longer stuff you may want to invest, in slightly more complicated tight fitting technical socks. I like Injinji toe socks and various X-Socks models, but most running brands will have decent models.
 amandaleeds 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: I can also vouch for Hilly Mono but they're a bit hot unless it's a really cold winter day. My preference in the last year has been Thorlos Experia socks - stupidly expensive but they have never given me blisters with wet feet. Start fitness do a rip of version which are about 1/4 of the price and look identical - I bought a pair of those and they are also good but a bit too think on the main sock part. The cost of the experia socks are worth it seeing as I only buy a couple of pairs every 2-3 years really anyway....
 Banned User 77 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: just thin socks..
 Camm 12 Apr 2013
I've only used seal skins for walking and found that they worked very well, I even tested them quite a bit and then went in water above the top of the sock if it's in the right place under tension it can just about hold out the water, probably work for a quick in/out dip when crossing a river by hopping from boulder to boulder but probably to cross a river, take them off and then put them back on with the wet boots, they're brilliant if you use common sense.

For trail running, on the rare occasion that I go, I'll put up with the wet, I guess a pair of toe socks could work well if you're having problems.
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: cotton is the devils work. I have a pair of Bridgedale running socks and they are excellent when wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...