UKC

Sabrina Verjee Wainwrights Record Attempt Live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BuzyG 01 May 2021

I just spotted this on another forum I frequent.

She ran past one of the forum members this morning. Which is how he found out about it.

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/sow2021/

It looks like she is well ahead of schedule at the moment. 

What has my life come to though? Sat here on a Saturday evening, watching snooker and following the Wainwrights record attempt on my PC.

mountainbagger 01 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Awesome thanks!

Bit of useful info on her previous attempt last year; https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/running/sabrina_verjee_-_wainwrights_atte...

biscuit 01 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Also the only vet I’ve ever known to ring me back out of hours to let me know my dog’s test result, because she didn’t want me worrying overnight.

And no she didn’t charge me extra....

Welsh Kate 01 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Hopefully she stopped for food or a nap and isn't injured - slow progress to Dockray.

OP BuzyG 01 May 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Yes looks she took a three hour rest stop.  Amazing been on the route since Friday morning.

Welsh Kate 01 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Yes, looks like she's motoring again.

OP BuzyG 02 May 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Stopped at Trout beck for some well earned sleep

I expect. I bet she is up and moving well before me though.

Wainers44 02 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Tomorrow is going to be a real tough one,  but there are no easy ones I suppose.  Amazing effort. 

Dr.S at work 03 May 2021
In reply to biscuit:

How many vets have you dealt with?

SouthernSteve 03 May 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I don't know why you got so many dislikes for this. Biscuit seemed to be taking a perhaps (hopefully) unintentional swipe at vets and yours seemed a fair question. 

Dr.S at work 03 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Who knows? Sample size is everything in these questions!

The current crop of female veterinary runners is pretty awesome though - I don’t think the boys have anybody operating at a similar level to Verjee, Paris and Muir?

They are amazing and awe inspiring - makes my running look worse than poor.

As for the lack of men,  based on current vet school entrance figures; for 3 amazing women there would only be ½ of one man!

Currently at Robinson Mon 14:00:20 10 hours ahead of the target (Tue 00:01)!

mike123 03 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve: horrible day out there today , wind driven rain that feels like it’s trying to snow . Amazing effort to keep pushing on . 

Dark-Cloud 03 May 2021
In reply to mike123:

Yep, its awful, Lakes Ski Club webcam gives you an idea! 

https://twitter.com/ldscwebcam?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwg...

Dr.S at work 03 May 2021

Have to keep pushing up student numbers to maintain the mighty Centaur RFC

Where are you seeing the target times? I can't find them.

In reply to mountain.martin:

Next to the time on the scroll down on the left hand side.

Ahh, thats it, thanks.

And indeed Joanna Zakrzewski, or is she a people doctor? I forget.

jcm

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

There is snow now: the great British bank holiday!

mike123 03 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG: if she gets a shufty on she’ll get chips at the kingfisher ( best in the lakes and no mistake ) much better than Keswickian . Shuts at 9 mind .

Dr.S at work 03 May 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

People Doctor I believe - not that I hold with Vets styling themselves Dr.

veteye 03 May 2021

> People Doctor I believe - not that I hold with Vets styling themselves Dr.

I don't. (Apart from one place, where I put myself down as Dr, just as a laugh. That was the Austrian Alpine Club).

Michael Hood 03 May 2021
In reply to veteye:

Of course a vet could have a PhD in some kind of veterinary (or other) subject, but that would just confuse matters 😁

veteye 03 May 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

When I was much younger I got offered 4-5 PhD positions, as I had done immunology/virology research in my holidays in summer (and had less experience of practical veterinary work), but had spent some holiday times seeing practice with the vet in Portree, Isle of Skye.....                                Yet I turned the PhD's all down, as I did not think that they would have furthered my career in a reasonable way, and I did not care if I was not going to be called doctor (though I was when I worked in Philadelphia).

Wainers44 04 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Am I misreading the tracker or is she off course?? Hope all is OK?

Michael Hood 04 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Tracker shows her down in Thirlmere after Armboth Fell. I presume it's all over this time, she did appear to have slowed down after Keswick, injury or the weather (or both).

A real shame because for the first half she was doing really well.

One of the things that is great about this kind of ultra attempt is the support given by current and previous "record" holders and other notables - Birkenshaw, Tierney and Kelly all involved. Even though they're competitive, they all want the others to succeed.

Linda Orritt 04 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

I met Sabrina last year whilst supporting Mel Steventon the second lady to run the Wainwrights non stop. ( she works for Community Action Nepal too!) 

Sabrina is an amazing lady, a fabulous vet and very focussed runner. Good luck to her. 

r0b 04 May 2021

From Steve Birkinshaw on FB: "Sabrina dropped off the fells at Armboth down to Thirlmere. The weather has been horrible and she was struggling breathing. Safety is the key thing and so in the end it was an easy decision for us to make. She might start again from Thirlmere if she can sort out her breathing."

Michael Hood 04 May 2021
In reply to r0b:

Horrible weather - whenever the rain got heavier here in G Manc yesterday & overnight I was thinking how much worse it must be out on the fell tops - which was what I presumed was causing her splits to start getting slower than the "schedule".

I was rather astounded to find out from one of the daily update videos that she's asthmatic - no fuss, just a "she needs a couple of puffs" - yet another complication to throw into the vast mix of things that need to be overcome to achieve this kind of ultra endurance performance.

And I love that she basically says she's a crap runner, no speed, no sprint. That may be so but she does seem to be pretty amazing at just able to keep going, and going, and...

OP BuzyG 04 May 2021

Looking at the times, she had slowed right down, for several hours prior to the call. So clearly not a decision made quickly.  More one slowly pressed down, by the frailties of the human body and the unrelenting force of nature.

As they say. The mountains will still be there tomorrow. It must be so hard psychologically though, to retire from such an undertaking.  I just hope she is well and recovers quickly from the extraordinary effort.  Hopefully we will here more in the coming hours.

What a fantastic achievement to even reach the start line of such an undertaking. Well done to all involved.

Nic Barber 04 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Interesting how Sabs was still close to if not beating her scheduled summit splits up until Monday Morning (Day 3). However it was pointed out to me that her times over some of the the larger sections of the Northern/Grasmoor fells, were slower than those of Steve Birkinshaw's in 2014 - when these fells were in the last 2 days of his round when his feet were in bits.

A good attempt but you do wonder 'what if' she'd gone a week earlier. There were some snow flurries in the Lakes last week but nowhere near as bad as last night.

Roadrunner6 04 May 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Yeah, that weather made it all but impossible.

just attempting that is some going.

OP BuzyG 05 May 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Snow on the high lake land fells today.  The hard decision yesterday was clearly the right decision.

Ridge 05 May 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

There was hell of a drop last night too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...