UKC

Shared running/walking cycling paths-which side to run on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arnold666 26 May 2015
as per title.
fairly new to running.
on shared paths i run on the right so i can see cyclists coming towards me as if i was running on the road, rather than having cyclists silently go past me from behind.

today i was nearly ran over/crashed by a cyclist who decided not to move for me.

what do all of you runners do on shared paths?
should i be on the right or left?
im quite happy to be told that i should be on the left if thats correct/safer
any advice appreciated.
 tony 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

It's a fairly safe bet that if you choose to run on one side or another, you'll meet someone head-on at some point. Essentially, there are no rules that I'm aware of, although the Highway Code may say differently, and even if there were, there would be people who didn't stick to them.
If I'm on a path shared by pedestrians, cyclists, dogs, small children, motability scooters, and anything else that moves, I tend to assume that if I make the effort to avoid anything coming towards me, there's less chance of a collision, regardless of any perceived rights or wrongs about whichever side of the path I should be on. It does get difficult when there's a pack of cyclists or pedestrians heading towards you - some will go one way and others will go the other way and you'll be no better off.
As for people overtaking you - that's for them to work out, as long as you maintain a steady line.
 goose299 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

Run down the middle with both arms out. That'll teach those pesky cyclists
 kathrync 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

I tend to cycle on the left and run on the right. As above, though, shared paths tend to be chaotic and I never make the assumption that anyone else is sticking to the same rules as me, or indeed any rules at all.
ceri 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:
I tend to run or cycle on the left, treating everyone as traffic, then over taking occurs in the middle. If you have people coming head on at the same side, you get your situation where people then do t know whether to move towards the edge or middle of the path to go round.
 Neil Williams 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:
I would say treat the MK Redways (which are one type of shared use path) as country lanes without motor traffic - ride on the left, walk/run on the right so you can see oncoming "traffic". There is a dangerous trend to cycle on the right on the Redways - this might be because when moving from abroad you're more likely to get a bike first rather than a car, perhaps?

That said, the MK Leisure Paths, which are also shared-use, are meant to be pedestrian priority - they are narrower so a "side" doesn't really work.

So it depends But as with anything, it's the one with the more dangerous vehicle (so the cyclists) who should give way to the more vulnerable (those on foot), provided the pedestrians are being reasonable and not blocking the full width of the path.
Post edited at 16:06
 AlisonSmiles 26 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

On my bike I tend to slow down, move over to one side, basically whichever the person coming towards me isn't using. If they are in the middle of the path and there's not room either side I try to figure out from their body language what they're going to do and go the other way. If they are remaining central then I make a call and shift over and hope they go the other way. If there are five of them using the entire path along with push chairs and dogs, generally I just come to an absolute stop and wait for them to reach me and go round me. Well, it's either that or climb a tree.

I have no expectations that others will move for me.
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> I have no expectations that others will move for me.

I think it's only polite that if people are aware you are there (i.e. you've used your bell from a reasonable distance), and they are taking the entire width of the path, that they *do* make way for others. I won't crash into people, but I also won't stop and wait considerately if they can't be bothered being considerate - I will tend to match rudeness with rudeness, but consideration with consideration.

I think for wide enough paths the MK Redway Code approach of "it's a country lane with no cars" is the best rule to use. Cyclists make it easier for pedestrians by acting like road traffic, and pedestrians make it easy for cyclists by not using the full width of the path nor moving unpredictably across it, and keeping dogs on a short lead (there are plenty of places away from the Redways where they can run free). With that, it's easy for everyone - nobody blocks anyone.

Neil
Post edited at 17:02
 PM 26 May 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

I can relate. The Highway Code doesn't agree though, roughly: 'On shared paths when cycling be prepared to slow down or stop'.

On some other thread there's a comment about cycling: 'Mainly I've noticed that my life is worth a tiny fraction of the worth of the five seconds a car driver will save by overtaking me at the earliest possible moment.' People on bikes (of which I'm often one) not having much patience with not-getting-out-of-the-way-as-quickly-as-they'd-like pedestrians and dogs are the same deal if you ask me. It's tough to go slow and give people space when you're not getting much space in return.
In reply to PM:
Interestingly the MK "Redway Code" is not the same as the Highway Code for shared paths, and is more Dutch in how it intends to work (just like the Redways themselves).

That said, "be prepared to slow down and stop" could be taken to mean "don't ride into people", it doesn't mean that pedestrians should be able to wilfully or inconsiderately block the path.

http://www.marstonvalecommunityrail.org.uk/mkredway.pdf

Rules for all Redway users

The Redways are for use by pedestrians and cyclists of all ages and levels of experience,
including people with prams, pushchairs and those in wheelchairs.

All motor vehicles – including mopeds and motorcycles are prohibited by law from using
Redways with the exception of authorised vehicles, e.g. emergency and maintenance
vehicles. Drivers of such vehicles must drive with due care and use flashing beacons when
available and give way to other Redway users.

When a Redway crosses a road, the road user has priority over the Redway users. The
Redway user must give way to road user.

Users of Redways must be able to be seen at night. Cyclists should use lights and all users
should carry or wear something light-coloured or reflective clothing.

Dogs and horses should not foul the Redway. Dogs should be kept on a short lead to
prevent tangling.

Rules for Cyclists

Cyclists should take due care when approaching pedestrians, persons with prams,
pushchairs and wheelchair users. Cyclists should give an audible warning of their approach.

Cyclists should keep to the left as if cycling on a road.

Cyclists should ride not more than two abreast and remember to slow down at bends, give
way at junctions and ride their cycles so as not to endanger themselves or other redway
users.

Rules for Pedestrians

Pedestrians should keep to the right as you would if walking on a road.

Pedestrians should not walk more than two abreast.

Rules for Horse Riders

Horses should not be used on Redways which are not part of the bridleway network.
Remember it is more pleasant to use the Redways and estate roads for some of
your journeys.

These Redways belong to all users and are to be shared. Please be considerate of
others.

Any problems on the Redways should be reported to the Cycling Officer on Milton
Keynes 691691.

Neil
Post edited at 20:32
 The New NickB 27 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

If a path isn't segregated I will walk, run and ride on the left. The key thing is seeing and dealing with potential obstacles ahead, slow as necessary. If the path is segregated between cycling and walking, you can pretty much guarantee there will be people walking on the cycling bit, these are often harder to deal with.
arnold666 27 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

hi all,
thanks for the info.no definitive answers so i will run where i want to and avoid the fat git on his bike , just hope he gets a puncture which can be arranged!

keep on running!!!
arnie.
 mountainbagger 28 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

> avoid the fat git on his bike , just hope he gets a puncture which can be arranged!

Hmm...I don't think it works like that. I hear a combination of diet and exercise works best.
Removed User 28 May 2015
In reply to arnold666:

surely you mean the fat git in clinging yellow lycra with wraparound shades and a thick moustache
 AlisonSmiles 28 May 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

I mix it up a bit with the bell. Many years and many encounters have taught me this is a no win situation. Folk don't like it if you do and don't like it if you don't. I've trundled along having intellectual debate with people who haven't approved of my choice. Gentle debate where I explain the pros and cons and they reach the "oh, you can't win, can you?" conclusion.

I run too, and I walk, and whatever I do, I reckon I do it with the expectation that nobody will move. Courtesy, that's the thing. It's not about having some irrational "right". I'm too old to be of the sense of entitlement generation. I negotiate. Gently.
 Neil Williams 29 May 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> I run too, and I walk, and whatever I do, I reckon I do it with the expectation that nobody will move. Courtesy, that's the thing. It's not about having some irrational "right". I'm too old to be of the sense of entitlement generation. I negotiate. Gently.

That's interesting, as I take the Highway Code line on what I define as courtesy - effectively it's courteous not to impinge on others if you don't have to (the Highway Code reference is to the "don't make anyone else change their speed or direction by your actions" thing). So a family of 4 walking across the width of a shared-use path rather than in two twos are being discourteous, not a cyclist who is perhaps a little blunt at pointing out that they are being a bit rude by doing so. And equally a cyclist who expects a pedestrian to move when there's plenty of room around them to go round is also being a bit rude.

Responsibility to others over rights to yourself, IOW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...