UKC

Shoe for road & trail - experiences/recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samuel_w 26 Sep 2013
Looking at getting some shoes that are good for both road & (light-ish) trail. Any recommendations? What are your experience, both positive & negative?

Tried on some Inov8 f-lite 190s but found them a bit too minimal. Conversely, not looking for something super cushioned. I'm a UK6 with narrow feet so women's models also considered.

Thanks in advance!
 The New NickB 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w:

Go with road shoes. On good trail road shoes are generally fine, I done stuff like the Mary Towneley Loop and the Calderdale Way in road shoes, no problem. Nearly all trail shoes are shite on the road and are easily destroyed, the ones that aren't are usually road shoes with a more aggressive tread, these tend to have a bit of a weight penalty. It does depend a little how much you do of each, but generally if you can only afford one, go for road shoes.
 yorkshireman 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w:

I've only really run with Brooks Cascadias (7 and 8s, although the 8s took longer to get used to, loved the 7s).

I used Brooks Adrenaline road shoes before converting to the trail - and they handled most things during the transition so would echo what Nick B said.
 brianrunner 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w:
Yes I agree, if in doubt go for road shoes. I have had a few pairs of asics gel enduro trail shoes (about £50 from gooutdoors latest model is 9) and these have been great for me for road and hill running. They look and feel like road shoes but have a mildly rougher tread pattern. They only fail on steep wet grassy descents where the grip isn't good enough.

Brian
 Solaris 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w:

For mixed running with a bit of road but mainly tracks, fields and forest paths, I've had several pairs of Mizuno Wave Cabrakans. I like them because they fit me well, are stable and reasonably precise. They have decent cushioning for road, are adequately grippy on wet tarmac, and confidence inspiring when I need the extra grip offered by trail shoes. (If it's really muddy on the same terrain, I'll wear Wave Harriers.)

Road shoe or trail shoe? Depends on the proportion of each that you do; I prefer to compromise my speed and commitment on-road rather than off.
 StefanB 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w:

Most hybrid models are fairly heavy. I am no fan of these "door-to-trail" shoes the likes of Salomon do now. Some trail shoes such as the already mentioned Cascadia are quite comfortable on the road, but it should be obvious that any grippy sole will get used much quicker on the road.
So either go with a low and stable road shoes or get two pairs, one trail one road. If money is the issue, bare in mind that the two pair option will actually be cheaper in the long run.

Mark Torrance 26 Sep 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

> Go with road shoes.

Agreed. Specifically racing flats (or "fast training shoes" or whatever) so you can be agile on the rougher bits. If the trails are muddy enough to require some sort of tread then the appropriate shoe isn't going to be much fun for proper just-road runs.

If I go away and only have space for one pair that's what I take. I ran round some quite rocky (dry) paths in a Swedish wood a couple of weeks ago in Wave Musha's and they were ideal.

OP samuel_w 26 Sep 2013
In reply to All: Thanks for the input so far. Whilst I appreciate shoes are very subjective, it's always good to get an idea of what experience other folk have had.

Realistically, I'd be using the shoes more on road than trail. Cannot afford to buy both for the foreseeable unfortunately. Currently use racing flats on road (Brooks Green Silence - looking to try different shoe mind) & Walsh PBs for fell & muddy cross-country.

All further recommendations welcomed!
 Banned User 77 26 Sep 2013
In reply to samuel_w: I only wear Adidas adizeros Adios for almost all terrain. They are fine. Semi racing shoe really, quite a narroww fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...