UKC

Shoes for road marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anhub 11 Oct 2021

I have only ever done fell running and off roads ultras but recklessly signed up for Manchester marathon next year.

worked out the training I need to do but no idea about shoes.

any recommendations to start off with for reasonably priced road running shoes??

elliot.baker 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Anhub:

Brooks Ghost for me. but I suppose depends on your feet! 

tony 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Anhub:

Go to a running shop and find a pair that fits. Everyone has their favourites, but everyone has different shaped feet, and what works for one person won't work for the next. I use Brooks Adrenalines, largely because they're one of the only shoes with width fittings and I have wide feet. 

Levy_danny 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Anhub:

I’m a big fan of hoka one one running shoes on road. Very plush and cushioned but I really get on with them. They do a 30 day return service if you buy direct where you can wear them and then send them back if you don’t get on with them. As others have said though personal preference is very important.

Levy_danny 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Anhub:

I have also foolishly signed up for the full marathon after having such an awesome time on the half. 

steelbru 13 Oct 2021
In reply to tony:

> Go to a running shop and find a pair that fits. Everyone has their favourites, but everyone has different shaped feet, and what works for one person won't work for the next. I use Brooks Adrenalines, largely because they're one of the only shoes with width fittings and I have wide feet. 

New Balance and Hoka also do wide fittings in some, but not all, of their road shoes

tony 13 Oct 2021
In reply to steelbru:

> New Balance and Hoka also do wide fittings in some, but not all, of their road shoes

Sadly, not wide enough for me. 

mountainbagger 13 Oct 2021
In reply to Anhub:

What shoes do you wear off-road?

Hokas take some getting used to. I love the Challenger ATR and Torrent off-road but just can't get on with the Clifton on road. I mix Brooks Adrenaline (firm ride but stable) with Brooks Ghost (so comfy but they're getting old, will probably get a new pair) and some cheaper/lighter ASICS Dynablast for speedwork.

Rotating different shoes can be good to prevent injury, but does have an initial high cost. If you only buy one pair, and you do enough training, you will likely wear them out before the marathon anyway 🙂

To be honest, trying a few out in a shop is pretty good and I've had the most joy from just picking the most comfortable fit (invariably the most expensive!). Most of the top brands are good in their own way, so choosing the best fit may work best to start with.

In terms of pronation or other stability issues, road running is less forgiving than off-road so having your gait analysed might be useful if you don't already know by looking at how your current shoes wear on the sole.

steelbru 13 Oct 2021
In reply to tony:

> Sadly, not wide enough for me. 

Just in case you didn't know, New Balance do an Extra Wide, as well as a wide ( a 4E as well as 2E ), on some models, eg the 1080v11

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/pd/fresh-foam-1080v11/M1080V11-33416-EMEA-M108...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...