UKC

supination, can stretching really help correct it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Delbiz 21 Jan 2021

Looking for feedback/advice from people who suffer from under pronating and if they have managed to correct it at all. Stretching? Strengthening? Shoe choices? 

I have always known I suffer from underpronating, but mostly thought it is something that cant be corrected. I have had injuries like ITBS and plantar fasciitis which are likely linked to it. I frequently get tender tibias when building and is the first place to ache. Despite this, I have managed 80-120km weeks pretty consistently in the past. 

Previously wore very minimalist shoes which I blamed for messing up my plantar. ITBS seemed to come from nowhere and wasn't during a period of building milage. 

Currently running 60-70km a week, all my miles off-road, main shoes Hoka speedgoats + la sportiva mutant. 

Herdwickmatt 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Delbiz:

Aren’t most off road shoes neutral? Could you fit an orthotic to help? Can you solve your itbs with glute work? Have you seen a good physio?

Just some thoughts.

girlymonkey 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Delbiz:

Strengthening and stretching are never going to be a bad thing to try (as long as you do them properly!), so no harm in trying and seeing if they help!

alexm198 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Delbiz:

I can't offer any help, I'm afraid, but I'll be watching this thread as I have similar problems. Haven't had any issues with ITBS yet, but have had PF in the past (weirdly from a 800km thru-hike, never from running) and chronically suffer from tibia problems when ramping up mileage. 

Currently running 60km weeks and keeping problems at bay with a shitload of prehab work but any corrective suggestions for supination would be awesome. 

OP Delbiz 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Have seen a physio who has advised stretching etc. Just curious to see feedback from others in a similar situation and what difference they have made. 

Specific injury advice wasn't what I was looking for. I am just curious to see how other people have tolerated the running style and if there is potential for corrective exercises to help. 

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...