UKC

Tapering for ultras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marek 21 Aug 2013
I need all the help I can get...
Used to do ultras 15+ years ago, got distracted by climbing, biking and injuries, but got the bug again. I'm mid 50s and need to stay ahead of son (mid 20s). He's got speed, I've got stamina - at least that's the theory.
1 month to 40 miler (hp40) - so far been just clocking up miles and trying to avoid getting an niggling injuries. Tend to run/cycle on alternate days to save hammering the old legs, but still keep the blood flowing. Previously I'd be doing some speed work now, would just easy off at the start of the last week, carbo-load for the last day or so. Any better advice (given I don't believe in carbo-loading much anymore)?
 Banned User 77 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Marek: I do a 70% 40% load reduction over the final few weeks..

So 90 miles a week.. then 63 miles for the penultimate week.. and 36 miles in the last week.. BUT.. almost all sharp miles with km/mile 'reps' but at around marathon pace.. so just sharp reps not flat out..

That came from 2 olympians.. both had the same tapers for marathons..
OP Marek 22 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Thanks. Nice and simple!
 yorkshireman 22 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Marek) I do a 70% 40% load reduction over the final few weeks..

I've got an ultra in just over 2 weeks (Ultra Trail du Vercors, 86km). I've probably not being pushing it enough (certainly doing nothing like Iain's mileage, but then I am mortal).

Final training phase looking like this after coming out of a rest (36km) week:

Week 1: 70km
Week 2: 80km (although it depends how far I take this Sat's long run)
Week 3: 62km
Week 4: 22km (plus the ultra at the end of the week).

It's not ideal but too late to change much drastically now. For week 3 I'm away on business in a flat city so won't get any trails but that might actually help sharpen things up.

OP Marek 22 Aug 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
I guess the reduction in milage in the last weeks is fairly obvious. My concern (perhaps too strong a word - interest is better) was to do with (for example) is it worth doing any speed work, (b) what's the best plan for the last few days (short run or no run, perhaps cycles, easy intervals...) to make sure I'm not more tired than I need be, but the legs are still 'primed'. I know - it probably will make no difference, but 'marginal gains' and all that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...