UKC

Tired/achey/spasmy lower back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 12 Jun 2022

So I've done a few ultras recently, Kielder 50k/Cairngorms 60k, and have found that after about 35-40k my lower back really begins to ache and can cause my abs to start to cramp. I'm going to see a physio but anyone here have any suggestions? I'd say my core strength is good but often find I have an achey stiff back when I wake up. I'm 36 so would like to try and sort it sooner rather than later. 

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Hi,

I'm a strength coach that works with Mountaineers.

I use to have this issue after doing long mountaineering days carrying a heavy pack. In general, that amount of mielage will cause tightness and stiffness regardless, but if you work on mobility and strength outside of the event you'll find it's not as bad.

I suggest you have a daily mobility routine for the lower and upper back. A few exercises I do are "Lumbar rocking, Cat-camels, Lying windmills, Thoracic extension on a foam roller".

I made a video on my YouTube channel that goes through a few of these, link below:

youtube.com/watch?v=dAtcm61XGew&

You should also supplement the mobility exercises with a strength routine that includes Deadlifts, Row variations, LAT Pulldowns (or Pull-ups) in order to also strengthen your back. All done with the right technique of course

Good luck!

Marek 15 Jun 2022

Further to the good post above...

Don't make the mistake of assuming the 'core' means 'abs' - the core is a lot most complex than that and it all needs to be in balance in term of strength and flexibility - ideally. The lower back and glutes are notorious for being weak (whatever you do in terms of running, cycling, etc.,) in 'modern man' due to too much sitting around. Also don't assume that an 'achy lower back' means you have to strengthen your lower back. It could be that those muscles are having to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. Hopefully a decent physio will diagnose the underlying issue, but then it'll be up to you and your self-discipline to get it sorted. Good luck!

As added incentive, make sure you get this this properly sorted now (in your thirties) rather than it becoming a crippling problem in your sixties. It'll all be much harder then!

Post edited at 16:23
 wbo2 15 Jun 2022

What the above said - core in this case is going to include a lot of glutes work, and working on the hamstrings. A lot of runners are very weak here, and it causes a lot of hassle, with what you're experiencing being typical

OP Herdwickmatt 15 Jun 2022

Thanks all, it's definitely something I need to get sorted as its beginning to be more common in day to day life. 

@train to summit I love the bit at 9:42 when you kneel on your shoes, it made me giggle! I'll go through those exercises see if it helps, I already do a couple of them.

My glutes are pretty good, hamstrings probably not so much. This stems back to a high hamstring tendinopathy I had 7years ago. I do lots of glute work, but should probably get back into deadlifting at some point. I really got into for about a month a few years ago and could rep bodyweight fairly comfortably. 

I have a physio (who is a runner and has links to a local club) so I'll feedback when I get an appointment.

Nic Barber 20 Jun 2022

I found reverse hyper-extensions to be really good at getting the glutes going and nixing any lower back aches pretty quickly.

OP Herdwickmatt 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

What's a "reverse hyper extension"? Do you mean these sort of things  youtube.com/watch?v=3d9_W--eUcI&?

Nic Barber 21 Jun 2022

yep. I tend to do them over the side of the sofa. Or off the edge of the bed.

Agree with all of the above, I had similar problems. Office chair bound and loads of cycling meant my lower back was a sh1t show of spasms and soreness whenever I stood still for longer than 5 minutes.

Reverse hyper extensions are good, Also, I fell into the trap of thinking core meant abs. I then was told about a great exercise which has virtually cured my problems - cable oblique twists.

youtube.com/watch?v=t1XQ7V7gEm4&

Give them a go if you can

stubbed 21 Jun 2022

Regular pilates has really solved this for me

wbo2 21 Jun 2022
In reply to Herdwickmatt:  Regular is the important word here.  

inboard 26 Jun 2022

Uphill Athlete’s Chamonix Mountain Fit workouts have some great sequences for core/ posterior chain that have helped me with a similar problem. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...