UKC

Training Programme for First Marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KieranT 26 Jan 2014
Hi everyone,

I've signed up for my first marathon in August. Well, I'm doing the running leg of a Relay Ironman (full marathon distance). Please can somebody recommend a decent training programme? I've done a couple of half marathons before (1hr 37 mins), and will be mountaineering in Bolivia for most of June, so hopefully should have a decent chance.

Unfortunately, I'm away with work until mid-March, so I'm limited to treadmills. It's driving me mad but better than nothing.

Thanks for any top tips! My wife and mate are doing the swim and bike, so I can't let them down.
Kieran
 misterb 26 Jan 2014
In reply to KieranT:

at 1.37 for a half just keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine.
maybe throw a long run in every week ,16-20 miles.
 wbo 26 Jan 2014
In reply to KieranT: Look at the runners world schedules.

Travelling for work need not necessarily mean treadmills - where do you go? I've never missed a day travelling, and almost always outdoors. Running is very forgiving that way, and the internet gives us access to maps and information

AdrianC 26 Jan 2014
In reply to KieranT: My approach to this was to google around for marathon training plans - you'll find quite a few on race websites and they're often set up for different target times which is good. I think Hal Higdon's website was one that I used, too. I then looked at what elements the various plans had in common (e.g. long easy-paced run once a week, some strength and speed work) and made my own plan that suited me. For example I wanted a plan based on run time, not distance because I'm often in different places.

I'd also say that for most people a full marathon is quite a step up from a half so you're doing the right thing to start planning at this early stage. It might also pay, (if you haven't already) to read up on nutrition and have a good stretching routine - you're looking at getting your body through a large volume of work and avoiding injuries and illness is important.
 Banned User 77 27 Jan 2014
In reply to KieranT:

Its too far away now. Start seriously training now and you'll lose interest unless you get intermediate goals.

Half marathon in April? Snowdonia half is around then? a few 10ks.

For the first few months I'd look at being quicker, 5-10k pbs. Then miles in but lots of long runs getting close to marathon pace for the final 3-6 miles.

Just get used to regular running with the odd race. I wouldn't start marathon training specifically until 3-4 months out.
 Banned User 77 27 Jan 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

> My approach to this was to google around for marathon training plans - you'll find quite a few on race websites and they're often set up for different target times which is good. I think Hal Higdon's website was one that I used, too. I then looked at what elements the various plans had in common (e.g. long easy-paced run once a week, some strength and speed work) and made my own plan that suited me. For example I wanted a plan based on run time, not distance because I'm often in different places.

I think this is where many go wrong. LSD's are fine if you are doing good miles. But most do them far too slow. Not rapid but not a long way off race pace. Maybe 45-90 sec of race pace..
 wbo 28 Jan 2014
In reply to KieranT: however Ian, as we've discussed before for many people that simply makes 45 - 60 seconds below race pace their new race pace.

Mixture of long and steady and faster paced running

Banned User 77 28 Jan 2014
In reply to wbo:

yes long and steady, not long and slow..

Low mileage runners won't get much from long and slow.. it needs to be long and steady..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...