UKC

Waterproof running jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Evening all, as I look outside the weather is looking grim, its raining cats and dogs and running seems uninviting.

Im going to bite the bullet but for the winter months I think I need to invest in a waterproof lightweight running jacket.  I have another jacket but that is far from waterproof so I'm keen to get recommendations and cautions about a waterproof one.

My jacket is a Innov8 and seems to soak up the water but do waterproof ones get you equally wet by the sweat from inside.  Are there breathable ones in the style of a standard mountain jacket, Gore-Tex versions and do they work?

Thoughts welcome.

Post edited at 18:57
 girlymonkey 24 Sep 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I wear windproof and accept that I will be wet. As you say, with an actual waterproof, you will be wet from sweat. I don't really care when I am running. If I'm going high, I have a warm layer and foil blanket incase I need to stop

Kalna_kaza 24 Sep 2020

As GirlMonkey said. Running, raining, dry - pick two.

bouldery bits 24 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Windproof is a winner although, if it's really grim, I reach for the waterproof. Also, need one for mandatory race kit and OMM etc

So, my running jacket tier list:

1. Patagonia Houdini. It's not got a hood. It's a pull over top thing. It's got poppers instead of zips. It's bright orange. It's seemingly indestructible, super light and pretty breathable. Keeps very light showers off. 

2. Mountain Equipment Aerofoil. It's a smock (there's a theme here...) Like above but with a hood and slightly heavier weight fabric. Zip goes nice and deep for venting. Used for really chilly winter days, mega rain days and . Also very orange. Hood is 4/10.(Originally purchased for cycle commuting but now used all over the place! Summer fell walking lunch stop essential.)

3. Montane via minimus. This is a smock one. It's my super light one and used either as mandatory gear or for proper rainy summery weather. Not too boil in the baggy. Sexy red. Hood is 2/10. 

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon1487/montane-via-minimus-stretch-ult... 

4. Montane Atomic - crinkly and green like Kermit's... Errrr... Not a smock. It has a reassuring weight to it. Keeps me sort of dry but has a boil in the bag feel. Pockets good as they're also vents and fit sweets etc. This is THE OMM jacket. Forget that Kammleika nonsense. That's for posers. Except the OMM waterproof trousers. They're great. Hood is 5/10.

5. Crux Torq smock. Lightweight fullweight (does that even make sense???). Totally bomb proof. Event fabric fine. This is the jacket for BG legs in the rainiest wet rain, Dartmoor deepest winter and times when it's clear you might end up standing around being confused / cold / raging Impotently at the elements.

So, there you go. A classic UKC answer. Not what's best, just what I happen to own. 

Post edited at 19:17
 Ridge 24 Sep 2020

I take the view I'm going to get wet from either sweat or rain.

If it's above 10 degrees I prefer to get wet from rain in a windproof, much below that I prefer the warmer wet of sweat in a waterproof, especially on the tops.

Ridge 24 Sep 2020

> My jacket is a Innov8 and seems to soak up the water

Maybe give it a wash in soap/techwash followed by a soak in nikwax and a tumble dry? May just need the DWR restoring?

PPP 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> I take the view I'm going to get wet from either sweat or rain.

> If it's above 10 degrees I prefer to get wet from rain in a windproof, much below that I prefer the warmer wet of sweat in a waterproof, especially on the tops.

This. Wet windproof in cold is pretty miserable, especially if you are not moving fast (i.e. road or good trail). A heavier weight waterproof also cuts down the wind and makes a greenhouse of some sorts. I have Montane Podium, Montane Minimus Stretch Ultra and Montane Aero Event Pullover. The more miserable conditions are, the more likely I will go for a heavier one. 

May I add that a good baselayer (running shirt, either short or long sleeve) can make a huge difference. Take the standard running shirt or football shirt and it's much colder than a better made one. Montane or Asics Seamless are my favourites, but I haven't tried some of the more expensive shirts (Salomon, OMM, etc). 

metrorat 24 Sep 2020

I have the Berghaus hyper 100. Very light,  quite breathable, very windproof, very waterproof (but does wet out eventually in heavy rain).

SFM 24 Sep 2020

I think if you accept you will get wet then it comes down to being wet and comfortable. 
For adventure races I’ll wear a long sleeve tech top and a light windproof(OMM Sonic) which works pretty well in light rain/high velocity mist or if it’s coming in sideways with intent I’ll put on the Inov8 waterproof for warmth/extra protection. 
If I’m running locally (or in the old days/ before March to work) then it’d be a Gore windstopper running jacket. It’s ok at keeping the rain out but the real trick is that it seems to regulate the heat/internal moisture levels pretty well. After an hours run with a few uphill bits, my top would be damp but not totally saturated. Might be worth a look at something like that. I guess also it depends if you run hot or not. 

Super responses folks. I'll take a looky round Google and see what prices/sizes are available.

Euge 25 Sep 2020

I just got an OMM Kamlite smock... pricey but a fantastic piece of kit

Removed User 27 Sep 2020

Having worn stuff from Salomon, OR, TNF and a few others, driest I've kept is with a $1 'disposable' poncho that I've had for a year now, using summer and winter. I wear whatever i usually do underneath and either a visor or a headlamp to secure the hood. Flaps a bit but then that's why it's not sweaty.

ben b 27 Sep 2020
In reply to SFM:

"High velocity mist". Excellent - we all know exactly what that is  

Thanks

b

PS What everyone else has said - waterproof between about -5 and +10, windproof otherwise. Lots of cheap deals out there. 

Roadrunner6 27 Sep 2020

I just get whatever is cheap, nothing is breathable enough if you are running hard enough to sweat heavily.

I like cheap ones as they spend half their life stashed in various packs.

Also take into account how long you'll be out for, I've had some great super light weight jackets but they wet out pretty fast, fine for an hour or two but pretty useless for a longer day out.

climber34neil 27 Sep 2020

No idea what anything else is like but I have an outdoor research helium 2 which I think is very good , super light and generally keeps me dry ,

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/outdoor_research_heliu...

HimTiggins 28 Sep 2020
In reply to climber34neil:

Sorry if this is a high jack, but guess it might provide more food for thought.

Does anyone have experience of using the salomon outspeed 360 3L for running? https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/outspeed-360-3l-jkt-m.html#...

They are on offer at sportpursuit for a great price right now. I have a super light waterproof (berghaus hyper smock), but it's not very waterproof, rustles like a crisp packet and is horrible clammy against the skin. Like the op, I'm after light, actually waterproof and comfy. This looks like it could fit the bill. Thanks.

Ridge 28 Sep 2020
In reply to HimTiggins:

Not that particular model, but the jacket design looks identical to my Salomon. (Not sure of the model, got it cheap in the US - WP pro?).

If so there is no hood adjustment or peak stiffener, it's reliant on the elastic at the back of the hood and on the headband (in the photos on the advert it looks like the model is wearing a black balaclava, thats the headband) to stay in place.

Salomon assume if you have a large chest then you must have a large head. In my case I had to do a bit of sewing on the headband to tighten it, and still need to wear a light peaked cap under the hood to stop it flopping over my eyes when running.

Happy with the quality of the jacket, (and it was really cheap), but a couple of drawcords would have made for a much better jacket in my opinion.

MB42 28 Sep 2020

I use a paramo velez light for winter running which I find really comfortable and not sweaty, however I accept that I'm an outlier and my thermostat must be set distinctly cold! It is not unheard of for me to be wearing a woolly hat running whilst others are in t-shirts...

Ridge 28 Sep 2020
In reply to MB42:

You run in Paramo and don't get too hot??

Are you one of these lizard overlords that David Icke keeps warning us about? 😉

radddogg 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> As GirlMonkey said. Running, raining, dry - pick two.

Ok, running and dry. What are my options?

Justaname 06 Oct 2020

I have an old OMM Kamleika Smock that I use for commuting and most training runs, however it does leak a little so invested in a Haglofs LIM jacket for days in the mountains or when I know its going to be rain all day long.

The OMM is good and I'd recommend to anyone, however I think after 4/5 yeasr use most waterproofs begin to wear out. The Haglofs is Gore Paclite, I bought in a slightly larger size with full length zip so I can easily get it on over a race vest. 

If you're in the mountains / grim weather a waterproof is something I'd definitely invest in. Yes you will get wet from sweat, but not as wet if you're out for 3hrs+ in torrential rain. A windproof in these situations will not cut it.

Post edited at 14:16
 DancingOnRock 06 Oct 2020
In reply to radddogg:

When it’s raining and you’re running you need a windproof. 
When it’s not raining and you’re running you need a windproof. 
When it’s raining and you’ve stopped running you need a waterproof. 

The last thing you want is fresh cold water washing out the warm water when you’re not producing excess heat from your muscles.

I’d suggest any easily packed jacket carried in a bumbag type arrangement that you can put on quickly when you’ve stopped moving quickly. 

abcdef 07 Oct 2020

Like all these threads I am now confused

What is the consensus then for a waterproof for road running, that will allow me to go out in the days where the rain is too heavy for my windproof - are there any advantages to be had with a true running jacket, or are there better within the realm of lightweight outdoor waterproofs??

DancingOnRock 07 Oct 2020
In reply to abcdef:

It depends how far you’re going and how long you’ll be out for and more importantly how you plan on getting home if it all goes wrong. 

Justaname 07 Oct 2020
In reply to abcdef:

A running jacket will be minimal for lighter weight but also to reduce chafing, so thereofre minimal pockets, stripped down hood, elasticated cuffs rather than velcro adjust, although most lightweight outdoors coats will cover this.

The Haglofs LIM jacket is not running specific AFAIK, however as a fell running jacket its very good as its light enough to carry / packs small enough, but gives a good level of robust protection. Its heavyweight for running but lightweight for walking. 

Alpine style waterproofs will be fine to run in, although a bit bulkier to pack, heavier, less flexible for running movement etc. If you're after something cheap and light then look at Higher State from Sportsshsoes.com. You will probably get something decent for about £30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...