UKC

Weighing yourself down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cappa 15 Jan 2013
I'm not sure how many of you run with weight on here but figured it was worth asking, what do people use to weight rucksacks evenly?

I have been using bags of rice up to now but am finding that however i lay it out it tends to all end up accumulating at he bottom of the bag rather than being evenly distributed.

If anyone has any better ideas i would love to hear them. I have tried using various bags etc, I know the obvious choice is using military webbing but i get far to many bizarre looks when i run through town.

Cheers,
Dan
 Richard Carter 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Use a few 2L bottles of water. Then cinch up all the compression straps to make it snug.
 Phil J Booth 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:
Try uncoiled climbing rope in your bag. Rather than a dense weights like rice or water, it is malleable and can fill the whole bag (without slumping) with some jigging around then pulling in any compression straps.
In reply to Cappa:

Why weigh yourself down when running? It's a quicker way to injury IMO. If you wish to increase resistance then head for the hills or the beach.

ALC
 steveriley 15 Jan 2013
The one time I tried this, running with a 3L camelbak I went over on a steep descent. Cue 2.5 years of persistent sprained ankles. Don't do that
 pepperpot 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Agree with water idea - it's just what I used to do.

It also means that you can empty them to dump weight for whatever reason.
 Totally-Normal 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa: Dont know about running but I have used bags of sand in my big rucksack, this has the benefit over water as it moulds to the shape of your back- would be a bit overkill for running though.
 Reach>Talent 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:
A friend used a lot of bottles of water for alpine hill training as it meant he could dump all the water before heading back down to save his knees.
 Rubbishy 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

I used to wrap my lead shot diving weights in an old duvet then stuff it in my pack.

I limited it to one weighted running session per week as well of either a tab or shorter run. A good way to knacker the knees and anything else bendy in between.

In reply to Cappa:

I use a weighted vest. Made entirely of body fat. On the plus side it is quite well distributed and figure hugging. On the minus side I can't get it off and it's cost me a fortune in beer over the years.
Cappa 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:
Cheers for the advice guys i will give the water a try and see how it goes.
I'm doing a weighted 6 miler a week and a long tab in the hills at weekends when i havent got matches. Using a 10kg load at the moment aiming to increase it to 15kg by march (Been roped into completing the Para 10)
 Banned User 77 15 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Cappa)
>
> Why weigh yourself down when running? It's a quicker way to injury IMO. If you wish to increase resistance then head for the hills or the beach.
>
> ALC

What ALC says.. just hit the hills.. run further, run faster..
 NMN 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

I've used dumbbell weights wrapped in my spare top to try and stop them moving about but, as others have suggested, it just resulted in injury.
 due 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Pavement slapping with a bergan on is a sure way to destroy your knees, I'd lean more towards either long hill drags or short hill reps. Don't underestimate running in boots either. Once you have a base of stamina, tabbing is largely about recovering enough on the flat to get you up the next hill.

For weight, anything that can be ditched makes sense (bottles of water/sand), as do gym weights wrapped in duct tape. Old fleeces, sleeping bags etc will stop everything shifting around. Maybe a scrap of rollmat down the back. Cinch everything as tight as you can.

Just to 3rd/4th what has been said already however, if you're running with weight, you'd do just as well running harder without. As long as you know your bergan and boots will be comfortable, I wouldn't overdo it.
 Rubbishy 15 Jan 2013
In reply to due:

+1

Too many people put weight on their back and try do their usual run, only to find their knees are fooked.

As you say, a tab is much better and then stick to threshold runs without kit to fill in the gaps. I always fond running in boots with decent insoles better than trainers purely due to the support on the ankle and the redcued rolling action.
 Run_Ross_Run 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Argos catalogue, Magazines.
Cappa 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Again thanks for the advice, is there another way to adapt to the weight, i completed a 30 mile tab for charity earlier in the year, in boots and with 20kg. I didnt train with the weight in favour of boots and High HR training long runs etc. The weight killed me during the event and basically crippled me for a few weeks afterwards.

My normal training involves both HIT interval training, long runs and i often run in boots. But if i want a good time i figure i need to do at least some weight work (different to my usual it will be fine attitude)

Again any advice would be great.

steveriley 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:
This guy did a respectable time at our Half 2 years ago. http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-sport/other-sports/2011/01/26/running...

He's since knocked another 5 mins off. Nice bloke and all, but come on man, drop the sac and show us a really classy run! He might give you a word of advice if you're determined to see it through
 due 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Have you looked at the training plan on the website? Seems fairly sensible about building up the weight. There's also a very good book called 'Fighting Fit' which has a training plan for P Coy - I could email you the spreadsheet if you like.
ice.solo 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

Been running with weighted packs for years. I use water in drombags, or just the gear im using (hi tonyG).

Depends how much weight your talking, but anything over about 12kg needs acvompanying training to build up legs and shoulders to avoid injury.
Several groups do a lot of this and successfully both minmize risk and acheive impressive results.
Mil webbing stands the abuse over time but is heavy in itself. Weighted running destroys recreational gear faster than intended.
BD haul bags handle the stress but are shit to load. Maybe water + a rope would be good there.

Its not a matter of weight OR mountains - combine both.
But do it gradually.
 TonyG 16 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Cappa)
>
> Been running with weighted packs for years. I use water in drombags, or just the gear im using (hi tonyG).

Hahaha Don't forget to mention the fact that you do it in winter mountain boots too, you bloody lunatic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...