UKC

What's running in tights/long-johns + shorts like

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 28 Mar 2018

I'm contemplating doing an 18 mile walk/hike and running parts of it - which I've never done before intentionally - on a normal hike I'd wear some loose flexible Rab trousers which are nice and comfy and keep me warm enough. 

I always see these hardy fell-runners wearing tights and running shorts... what's that like? I've got some tight long-john thermal type things so I was thinking about following suit and wearing them with some running shorts, but I don't want to get 10 miles round a freezing wet Kinder and regret it, especially as I may run only parts of it, maybe 5-10 miles at most probably. 

I've always thought tight bottoms like that would squash the hair on my legs and therefore reduce some thermal blanket like property hairy legs might provide?!

The New NickB 28 Mar 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:

Running tights are very different to thermals, they are more windproof and move better, Ron Hills may be a compromise, although note that even Ron doesn’t wear these any more. Shorts over tights is just wrong in every way.

Trangia 28 Mar 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

>  Shorts over tights is just wrong in every way.

And looks faintly ridiculous.......

Post edited at 10:03
 Neil Williams 28 Mar 2018

Shorts over tights basically aren't noticeable.  People just do that for modesty reasons though not everyone does (it to some extent depends on how revealing the tights are and how bothered they are about that).

The reason for wearing that kind of kit running is to avoid chafe, basically.

As for how warm they are, they vary, but I'm one of those people who will wear shorts until it gets very cold indeed so I don't feel qualified to judge   You can get thermal versions, though, I have a Skins top like that and I very rarely wear it as it needs to be well below zero before it doesn't make me way too hot when moving.

In reply to Trangia:

> >  Shorts over tights is just wrong in every way.

> And looks faintly ridiculous.......

I think you are underplaying the situation.

Trangia 28 Mar 2018

> I think you are underplaying the situation.

I thought I'd be tactful so I substituted "faintly" for "bloody"

OP elliot.baker 28 Mar 2018

So what do I do to avoid carrying a change of clothes and balance not freezing to death if I walk but not melting to death if I run.... and also not looking faintly, or even bloody, ridiculous! :-S

hbeevers 28 Mar 2018

If you're walking it's likely because you've hit a steep or technical section. In which case you'll be keeping warm huffing up the hill or only temporarily slowing for technical ground. If you foresee a longer section of walking where you're exposed then chuck on your overtrousers.

I wear the twin skin shorts which are a lycra undershort with some loose shorts on the outside. They never chafe and aren't too skimpy so I'm happy.

dread-i 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

>shorts over tights basically aren't noticeable.  People just do that for modesty reasons though not everyone does (it to some extent depends on how revealing the tights are and how bothered they are about that).

Except that in the winter, when it's cold/ rainy/ sleeting, one wouldn't want a gentleman to get frost nip.

Simon Caldwell 28 Mar 2018

I wear shorts over tights in winter because shorts have pockets but tights don't. From sprint to autumn I find tights too hot and just go for shorts.

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

All mine have some sort of pocket.

Phil79 28 Mar 2018

For cold(ish) long runs I often wear a pair of compression undershorts (cycling short length) with a pair of running leggings over. No shorts over the top for me, but then I don't care if people scoff at my chicken legs (and the rest, or lack of).

Take a pair of lightweight waterproofs to stick on if it really gets wet/cold.

As other have said running leggings are essentially tight lycra and much better than thermals as an (outer) running layer. They wick well, are fairly wind proof and keep you reasonable dry in the rain (for a while anyway) and work better when wet, as no flapping about.

Alpkit have some great trail/running leggings, well cut with some handy pockets.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/koulin-trail-tights-mens

Dark-Cloud 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Shorts or tights I cant imagine running with anything in pockets other than a house key, bumbag for >5 <10 miles, race vest for > 10 miles.

Post edited at 12:37
 David Riley 28 Mar 2018

I wear my loose Troll Omni climbing trousers (on my own there). Don't like tights. Usually I'm the only one not in shorts. Last night at the prize giving of a  Matlock race everyone had muddy legs. I had taken mine off. 

colinakmc 28 Mar 2018

Just wear thermal running tights (Ron Hills) and don't look down. Or look in the mirror. Ever.

More seriously I used to wear Ronhills for winter hill walking and mountaineering (not pitched routes though) and they were fine, even without longjohns underneath, well into the minuses. You might be worrying too much.

In reply to colinakmc:

There was a point in time probably about 20 years ago when just about *everyone* wore Ronhills for mountaineering.

RX-78 28 Mar 2018

I am happy to use my ron hills for running, hiking, climbing and will then leave them on if just hanging about afterwards. I keep my tight wearing for cycling!

In reply to RX-78:

Ron Hills are basically a type of running tights, although I would say that Ron’s contribution to hosiery is up there with Nora Batey.

EuanM 28 Mar 2018

I always wear longer compression shorts with running shorts on top unless it’s seriously cold or I’m running a mountain route. Then I’ll just go for full length tights.

As long as you’re constantly moving and it’s not horizontal precipitation you should be ok.

I find the 3/4 length option a bit weird 

In reply to EuanM:

I find 3/4 length trousers a bit weird generally.

Ridge 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Phil79:

A +1 from me for the Alpkit koulin. The thigh pockets are excellent for gloves, hat etc. They even hold a mobile fairly securely for steady paced runs.

JimmAwelon 28 Mar 2018
In reply to elliot.baker: Shorts and tights are usually a dead give away for a Kiwi (New Zealander).

bouldery bits 28 Mar 2018

I use ronhills. They're awesome. And cheap.

colinakmc 28 Mar 2018

After this thread my old Ron hills are coming out from the back of the cupboard....

Moley 28 Mar 2018

In winter when wet and cold I wear cheap thermal polypropylene tights with shorts over (not being as fashion conscious as some of you youngsters). If I get too hot I stop, take my tights off (that doesn't sound quite right!) and carry on in my shorts.

Moley 28 Mar 2018
In reply to JimmAwelon:

> Shorts and tights are usually a dead give away for a Kiwi (New Zealander).

My tights are from new Zealand - perhaps that explains my choice!

Guy 28 Mar 2018

Tights if it is cold, shorts over if it is cold and windy.  Having frozen parts is not fun!

Roadrunner6 28 Mar 2018
In reply to JimmAwelon:

> Shorts and tights are usually a dead give away for a Kiwi (New Zealander).

Ideally multicolored stripes..

i find Ron hills a bit rough for running TBH. Chafe more. I just wear leggings. I’m not such a fan of 3/4, if it’s cold enough for my quads to be covered I generally want my calf’s as well.

pasbury 28 Mar 2018

> There was a point in time probably about 20 years ago when just about *everyone* wore Ronhills for mountaineering.

Yeah the red ones were cool, I think that’s the word anyway.

thommi 28 Mar 2018

4" splits all day long. Even in the winter. But I am weird.

Phil79 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> A +1 from me for the Alpkit koulin. The thigh pockets are excellent for gloves, hat etc. They even hold a mobile fairly securely for steady paced runs.

Absolutely, I can stick a micro windproof top in the thigh pocket, snack and mobile in the other two, etc. very useful for all sorts of runs.  

No other company seems to make any tights with more than a tiny back pocket. Its so useful I've no idea why its not more common.

nufkin 29 Mar 2018
In reply to EuanM:

>  I find the 3/4 length option a bit weird 

Conversely I find full legs a bit much unless it's below freezing - 3/4 is just enough to keep the knees covered, everything lower down is basically just bone and doesn't really need an extra layer

wbo 29 Mar 2018
In reply to nufkin:for no other reason than a personal dislike  i hate the feeling of tights on my calves (and i have big calves) but it's a bit cold for shorts still so 3/4 for me, even though they look a bit Odd

girlymonkey 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Phil79:

I have a pair of rbk (Reebok? Dunno, got them in TK Maxx) with pockets on each thigh. They are great, but quite thick so not great for milder weather. Always on the lookout for more!

the sheep 30 Mar 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I use an old pair of Cantaberry rugby training leggings with shorts in winter which work well and keep me warm. Did a half in Feb wearing them with no issues 

didntcomelast 01 Apr 2018
In reply to Phil79:

Well Fjalraven make a part of tights, Abisko, which I bought to run, ride and climb in. They are a bit pricy but have reinforced seat and knees and decent pockets both front and side. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...