UKC

When do I need a vest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Feb 2021

Hi all, 

In a dilemma of to buy, 

I'm looking for something that I can use on longer runs and also if I go into hills and need some extra gear. But mostly longer runs. 

I'm stuck between a bumbag or a vest atm. Gear wise il be looking to take. 

Gell or snack/jacket /gloves/phone/some water ect.

I'm looking at the Inov-8 Race Ultra Pro Waist, and the OMM 6L.

Or if I get a vest it be something like salmon agile style. 

Be interested to hear views. 

elliot.baker 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserThe_blur:

I got a 10 or 15L vest for £25 from decathon and it's brill. two soft bottle holders on the straps, bladder in the back. Enough room for over trousers, waterproof coat etc. / pole holders / snack pockets, internal phone pocket or in a pouch on the strap. I've ran a marathon in it and 18 miles round Kinder on one of the hottest days last year and it was great.

Never used a more expensive one but they appear to be 3-5x the cost of this one and this was great for me. No idea what the more expensive ones offer over something like this.

SouthernSteve 12 Feb 2021

I would get a vest unless for phone and keys and few small bits. There are Decathlon ones which will not leave you bankrupt and more expensive (Salomon) ones where you might choose to hide the receipt from your other half. A British company has been making a splash on Facebook and might be worth looking at (https://harrierrunfree.co.uk/pages/trail-collection). I have no personal experience of them.

Dark-Cloud 12 Feb 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

For the cash the Decathlon ones look awesome value, i keep meaning to buy one then keep a Salomon one for longer events

steveriley 12 Feb 2021

Gell or snack/jacket /gloves/phone/some water 

You'll easily fit that in a bumbag BTW. You can fit hat gloves, jackets, overtrousers, phone, key, map extract, compass, water, snack in a 3L bumbag. You'd need bigger/vest once you start adding extra layers and a bigger lacked lunch

kathrync 12 Feb 2021

From your kit list, either would work for you, so it's probably a matter of which you find more comfortable. I much prefer a vest, but I guess that's personal preference. 

I have one of the Harrier vests that someone linked to above - I think it's great, but it's the first vest I've owned so I can't compare it to anything else. 

Post edited at 13:40
 Chriswhoruns 12 Feb 2021

I’m not a fan of bumbags, but have been using vests for about 3 years now for the same amount of kit as you and more. I’m lucky as I get a good discount off Salomon so have stuck to their stuff, but the decathlon kit is good, I’ve seen the harrier stuff too and it looks ok. 
The biggest thing for me was the bottles on the chest, much more comfortable and well balanced. 

If it’s a shorter run and hot, I’ll just use a Flipbelt https://flipbelt.com/ where I can get a soft bottle in there and a bar/keys/phone

mattrm 12 Feb 2021

Don't run much these days, but when I used to, I much prefered a vest for longer runs.  Good for walks as well when you just want a jacket, food and water.  I have one of the swanky Salomon S-Lab vests, which I got when there weren't many other vests on the market..  It was amazing for ultras.  Great top quality piece of kit.  I do also have a bumbag, which I do still use a bit, but tbh, the vest is way comfier.

Post edited at 14:58
 LJH 12 Feb 2021

I own both bum bag and vest from decathlon. Both do job fine.

Water is the game changer regards which I use. I typically don't take water on stuff under 15miles unless it's really hot. That said bumbag is my go too. Bum bag will easily hold typical fell kit requirements if you buy light weight gear.

Water adds weight which I prefer on my back not waist.. which is what makes the difference.

dovebiker 12 Feb 2021

Depends on how much, particularly weight you're carrying. I'm happy to run with a bottle in a belt mounted pouch, but the belt needs to be tight. I bought an Osprey Talon 6 waist pack a while back - with 2 full bottles it is just too bouncy / unstable for my liking - OK for walking but not for running. I generally prefer a vest because I can have my phone in a front pouch for easy access/taking photos whereas getting it out a waist pack is more of a faff/ harder to do on the move.

neuromancer 13 Feb 2021

I think the general consensus from most people I speak to is that you'll end up with one of the salomon ones after trial and error, so just buy one. They also come with two bottles, which is probably £30 saved anyway.

E.g. A salomon ADV Skin (the best of the designs) is like £75. Minus two bottles is £45. That's cheaper than that 'UK Made' one. The Decathlon 5L equivalent is £30. So you're paying £15 to upgrade from the cheapest vest to the best one one the market.

StefanB 13 Feb 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> I think the general consensus from most people I speak to is that you'll end up with one of the salomon ones after trial and error, so just buy one. They also come with two bottles, which is probably £30 saved anyway.

I have tried many vest and packs over the years, and have now started to move away from Salomon. They are just not sturdy enough. Something always breaks eventually. Straps and zippers are flimsy and uncomfortable to use. Things fall out of pockets without zips every time I take it off. Some sturdier vest might come in at 200g more but are more reliable. 

I am also moving away from the soft-flasks. I am even experimenting with a bladder again. Not sure why we suddenly all became obsessed with carrying the water on the shoulder straps. 

To the OP: I would always go for a vest. Mine is half-empty most of the time, but still much more comfortable than a bumbag. 

SouthernSteve 13 Feb 2021
In reply to StefanB:

I like my Salomon vest - it is not falling apart, but you do need to vaseline or WD40 the zips!

climberchristy 13 Feb 2021

Hi. It's not really a question of WHEN you need a vest. This implies you only need a vest once you carry a certain AMOUNT. However, a bumbag can carry a lot just like a vest can. More important is comfort. IMO a vest is far far more comfortable. I always use a vest on all long runs when water is needed and on all mountain runs regardless of length or weather. They are just the most comfortable way to transport water and spare kit. I use the Montane Via Razor 15L. Often it is far from full but I use it anyway as it is the most comfortable vest I've tried by far. Very stable and bottles don't move about at all. Far far better than my lighter 5L Ultimate Direction one and far sturdier. Currently available for 63 quid at the Climbers shop. Bargain. Or 60 quid for the Jaws10L version.

Justaname 13 Feb 2021

I'd say 3 litres is as big as you want to go with a bumbag. You can carry everything you need for a long run including water, but vests are just much better when carrying more than one water bottle and are better for organising gear. One downside is they add warmth in the summer.

I've had problems with Salomon zips, and the buckles on the chest straps are (were) rubbish (difficult to connect in a hurry). I now have the inov8 2 in 1 10ltr vest which is OK, but I don't think it warrants the price they ask (but does anything?)

Angrypenguin 13 Feb 2021

To offer a slightly different suggestion... I got a camelback octane a few years ago and really like it. A 3L bladder and 5L storage lasts all day and I find it comfortable even fully loaded as its more of a small rucksack than a vest. 

climb41 14 Feb 2021
In reply to StefanB:

> I have tried many vest and packs over the years, and have now started to move away from Salomon. They are just not sturdy enough. Something always breaks eventually. Straps and zippers are flimsy and uncomfortable to use. Things fall out of pockets without zips every time I take it off. Some sturdier vest might come in at 200g more but are more reliable. 

> I am also moving away from the soft-flasks. I am even experimenting with a bladder again. Not sure why we suddenly all became obsessed with carrying the water on the shoulder straps. 

> To the OP: I would always go for a vest. Mine is half-empty most of the time, but still much more comfortable than a bumbag. 

I would also add that a friend of mine bought a Salomon pack at the same time I bought an Ultimate Direction one. His has fallen apart, mine is still going strong a further year later. I know we do roughly the same annual mileage as we track each other on Garmin. 
And I would echo that a pack is so much more comfortable. They key is also to have to kit available there for when it goes wrong on the hill....say you trip and sprain/break an ankle. You need extra clothing, perhaps a bivy bag, extra food etc while you wait for rescue. It’s about the ‘just in case’...

Dark-Cloud 14 Feb 2021
In reply to climb41:

Seems to me Salomon has tried to go lighter and lighter with the newer packs and they are suffering for it as I have seen failures in friends packs too, I have an 8 year old SLAB 12 vest and it’s just about given up now but has done thousands of miles with me, I have just ordered a Harrier 10L one for training and will go for an Ultimate Direction for a race pack

My Salomon 12 series has lasted a good 8 years (outlasted many pairs of trainers and is cheaper than new shoes too!). It has the odd small hole now and very occasional sticky zips, but overall I love it. I get on much better with it than a bum bag, and also only use the 12l now - I used to have an 8l but have leant it to a friend and don't miss it

The races I (used to) do all have kit lists, so I do most of my training runs carrying full kit in my vest, as then I am used to it come race day. I also therefore am more likely to take gear with me that will be essential if I twist my ankle etc - particularly relevant now

I have a Raidlight 20l vest for longer adventures, and would definitely consider their range if I ever have to replace my salamon 12l, as the Raidlight is really comfortable and hard wearing

Friends with Decathlon vests have been irritated at the lack of accessible pockets (meaning having to take it off to access food etc) though this may now be fixed on newer versions. I have also seen friends struggling with the chest straps on the Inov8 vests if wearing gloves 

Alex1 15 Feb 2021

As above I’d say the decision is the water. Your kit list will fit in a 3l bum bag easily minus the water (and a small bottle would still fit). I prefer bum bags but use a vest when I carry water as I want it accessible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...