UKC

Ben Macdui route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 04 Mar 2020

Would anybody happen to have a line on a map for the Ben Macdui Route here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/scotland_10_best_beginners_ski...

Not being overly familiar with the area I’m struggling to figure out where it goes after heading back down from Ben Macdui to Cairn Lochan from the descriptions

Also looking for any other recommendations for easy tours worth doing around that area ?

Doug 04 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

don't have my copy of the SMC guide to Scottish ski touring but to hand but fairly sure there's a map of the route, but often its a matter of where the snow cover is best. In good visibility its fairly obvious, less so when its poor

Mark Bull 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

You can either go to the summit of Cairn Lochan, or skirt it to the west. Either way you are heading for the flat area at NH971028. Then ski the burn line heading NE (this is Lurcher's Gully), to around 800 or 750m, then traverse out right to pick up the (line of the) path heading back to the ski centre (often not skiable late season). 

Other easy tour options:

A' Chailleach (listed on the page you linked).

Sgor Gaoith (ditto)

Carn an Fhreicheadain from Kingussie Golf Course

Lots of options around Drumochter: Sgairneach Mor - Beinn Udlamain - A' Mharconaich circuit is one of the best in good cover.  

Geal Charn from Garva Bridge. 

OP Dark-Cloud 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Mark Bull:

Perfect, thanks for that

Martin W 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

My copy of the SMC book only describes returning to the ski centre via Lochan Buidhe, then NE past Stob Coire an t-Sneachda to Cairn Gorm and then down via the Ptarmigan.  It doesn't mention Lurcher's Gully at all, and there's no map for that route.

Doug 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

are we talking about the same SMC book ? I've just looked at the guide to ski mountaineering in Scotland & although it doesn't have a tour from Coire Cas to Macdhuie & back it does have a circuit of the northern corries (including a descent of Lurcher's gully) & the 4 tops which goes from the car park to Macdhuie but then heads across to Braeriach etc. So to descend back to the car park, reverse the route of ascent, then cut across to Lurcher's meadow (as described above) effectively joining the two routes shown on page 94.

edit - Seems we are talking about the same book but you looked at a variation on a tour starting from the south while I looked at those starting from the north

Post edited at 12:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...