UKC

Body protection for skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Jan 2020

Hi, I fell last week and my shoulder took the impact. Turns out I have torn the a.c. ligament in my shoulder and possibly the rotator cuff ligaments. Does anyone wear body armour for skiing? I've been looking online at various tops with shoulder protection for rugby, cycling and motorcycling. Looking for advice/ recommendations for some kind of shoulder protection . Thanks

Alex1 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Dainese makes winter sports specific body armour:

https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/wintersports/safety/rhyolite-2-safety-jacket-...

Toerag 13 Jan 2020

I dunno if body armour is going to do much for your arm acting as a lever and pulling itself out of its socket....

PS. currently not climbing for 2 years due to a mysterious shoulder injury which seems related to a similar injury to yours sustained in 2001

LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2020

It does exist, it's mainly modified/lighter weight versions of mountain biking body armour, which, in turn, is modified/lighter weight motocross body armour.

Dainese are possibly the market leaders, but not the only ones - I wear a Dainese snowsports helmet and padded undershorts and a 661 MTB back protector when snowboarding, but have increasingly worn them skiing. I also tend to wear elbow/forearm guards (unbranded), as I already have damaged elbows from a MTB accident on tarmac and don't wish to repeat that on ice.

Specific knee braces aside, none of it is really going to prevent ligament injuries - it's saved me from a few bumps on ice and crashing into a suicidal novice snowboarder, though.

Dark-Cloud 13 Jan 2020

I can't imagine any body armour is gong to stop that sort of injury unfortunately, the mechanics of A/C joint and collarbone* injuries is impact (collarbones can go with energy transfer from fall on an outstretched hand) and/or rotational forces, if you could get something to dissipate that much energy or stop the over extension it would probably be too heavy and cumbersome to wear

* i speak from experience having done both, one on the bike and one skiing

tomstew 13 Jan 2020

I had the same injury a few years ago, and found one of these very useful for supporting the shoulder & bouncing/impacts throughout a day on the slopes. 

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/EVS-Adult-SB03-Shoulder-Support-Shoulder-Brace...

I'd also recommend avoiding wearing a backpack if you can (downward pressure on the shoulders will get painful after a while), and skiing well within your limit so you don't stack it and take your rehab back to day 1. 

Removed User 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Toerag:

I've not been climbing since last Easter due to rotator cuff tendonopathy. Now this. So sympathise with you. 

La benya 13 Jan 2020

I ruined my AC Joint playing rugby so no... their equipment doesn’t stop that happening. Had the injections which did little and now I just put up with the pain/ crunching until it eventually gets so bad I have the op. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...