UKC

Buying a friends skis, binding size help needed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ste carey 30 Sep 2016
Hi Guys,

I've only ever rented skis.
My friend is selling some skis with 'Diamir Fritschi titanal 3 bindings. XL (325-365mm boot length)'.

I am a size 8, I'm confused by the terminology, mondopoint etc. I've looked at a few charts and a lot of them seem to be American sizing etc.

How do i find out if I can get some touring boots to fit these bindings in a size 8?I need to know soonish as he is keen to sell them and don't live near a shop

Thnks for any help.

damowilk 30 Sep 2016
In reply to ste carey:
They're pretty huge!
Sole length will vary a bit brand to brand and boot to boot.
I'm size 45ish in normal footwear, I think both my boots are mondo 28, one is 307mn and the other 314, so the answer for you is very likely no.

You didn't ask for any comments on the binding, so apologies if unsolicited advice, but the Titanal is an old binding: probably not relevant given it won't fit you, but in general check its condition, particularly that it's pivot pins aren't loose.

I'd only suggest buying such an old binding if it was very cheap, for limited use to see if you liked touring, but with plans to upgrade soon if you did.
Post edited at 20:26
 kevin stephens 30 Sep 2016
In reply to ste carey:

UK size 8 is approx. ski boot Mondo size 27, ie the length of your foot in cm.

The difference between Mondo sizing and boot length (mm) is the thickness of the ski bot inner and plastic shell; which will vary between manufacturers and models but will typically be 315mm. it's likely the bindings will be too big for you
 Dave 30 Sep 2016
In reply to ste carey:

As the others say, its very likely that the bindings are too big for any boot that you would fit in. I've got a pair of newer Fritschi Explore bindings that would fit you for sale if you are interested? Only a couple of weeks use at max.
ste carey 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave:
Sounds good, how much? and can you simply take a set of bindings off and put another on? ie are they interchangeable without damaging the skis?
Post edited at 21:19
ste carey 30 Sep 2016
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks for the info!
 damowilk 30 Sep 2016
In reply to ste carey:

Unfortunately not quite that easy. Bindings leave holes in the ski. Different brands have different hole patterns, though some match up to a few set patterns. I'm sure others with more knowledge will post, but I've been advised that generally more than 2 to 3 different mounts on a single ski is pushing it. A subsequent mount with different hole pattern is going to have to be moved far enough forward or backwards so none of the holes are too close. If you're going to buy a second hand ski, check for old holes that have been plugged in addition to the current mounting.
I'm not sure if a new mounting with the same pattern as an older one can always be remounted in the same holes either.
ste carey 30 Sep 2016
In reply to damowilk:
Thanks Damowilk,

The skis have only had the current bindings on them.

Do you know how I would find out if which bindings would fit onto the skis that are currently drilled for the XL Diamir Fritschi titanal 3 bindings?

Thanks
Post edited at 23:22
 damowilk 30 Sep 2016
In reply to ste carey:

You'd probably have to do some googling, ask in a decent ski shop that fits touring bindings, or ask in a ski forum like snowheads. There may be someone on here who knows.
The most likely is the Fritschi Freeride, the successor to the Titanal series, still in production and loads around second hand, but again best to ask how much use they've had and have someone knowledgeable check the pivots if possible.
 kevin stephens 01 Oct 2016
In reply to ste carey:

Are the skis the right size for you? if they are too big (like your mate's boots) then they will be much more difficult to ski, especially with touring, kick turns, carrying them when boot packing etc.
ste carey 01 Oct 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

I think I have a lot to look into, the prospect of buying a cheap pair of skis from a friend has opened a can of worms

It's a good job the weather is bad where I am :p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...