UKC

Cairngorms touring conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ian stewart 09 Mar 2014
I was out on the new trab skis today. Despite the thaw conditions are still great up high, so long as you choose your route.

Photos here:
http://stewartmountainskills.blogspot.co.uk/
 mcdweeb 09 Mar 2014
Thanks that's v useful. I'm off there tomorrow. Can you ski back all the way to the car park from Lurcher's or has the snow level risen above this?
ian stewart 09 Mar 2014
In reply to mcdweeb:

Probably not in a straight line..... I got from the lochain side of fiacaille ridge back to the stepping stones on the lochain path by linking patches fairly easily, but not sure it would be so easy from lurchers. enjoy!
 AG 10 Mar 2014
In reply to ian stewart:

Any idea what drumochter area is like? (not been past since last weekend) was thinking of going up sgairneach mhor but not sure how much of a carry it would be.
 rif 11 Mar 2014
Plenty of folk enjoying the sun on Macdui today (Tuesday 11th). Complete cover on the plateau, but 90% of it icy even by early afternoon -- the foot soldiers all had crampons on. No you can't ski all the way back from Lurchers, you have to traverse out right at the usual place and then either keep putting skis off and on or just walk back on the path.
 mcdweeb 11 Mar 2014
In reply to AG
Came through on the A9 today, bit of a walk will be involved but good cover above 700m.
 AG 12 Mar 2014
In reply to mcdweeb:

cheers, ended up going to glenshee ....first sunny day out this season!.. beautiful.
In reply to ian stewart:

Last Sunday. Bit more icey now I think! Hope you had a good one! http://wainwrightclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/
 DaveHK 12 Mar 2014
In reply to ian stewart:

It was bullet-proof last night!
 brianrunner 12 Mar 2014
In reply to ian stewart:

Was out this afternoon on the piste then over Cairngorm to Cairn Lochan and down Lurchers. The snow cover in Lurchers is excellent, I skied down to about 600m and then picked up a snow ribbon back to the Sneachda river, then its about 10 minutes walk back to the car park. The plateau is plastered with snow still but a little icy in places.
 DaveHK 12 Mar 2014
In reply to brianrunner:

Pretty much where I was in the moonlight last night Brian. Probably spent more time with crampons on feet than skis but a glorious night out. Imagine today was equally stunning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...