UKC

Chamonix next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hoolabloom 23 May 2016
Anyone got any good info on current conditions? Headed out next week with the plan to do some sport climbing in the valley but looks like it maybe possible to get out on the snow.

Anyone know if the Vallee Blanche and routes in the vicinity are in and if the arĂȘte is still protected?

Thanks in advance.

funalps 23 May 2016
In reply to hoolabloom:

Check out http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/ac2/news/chamonix-condtions on the Alpine Club site. There should be another update before you get there.
N.B. This is a translation. If you want to see the original, (in French,) go to Mountain Conditions on the www.chamoniarde.com site.

Good Luck
OP hoolabloom 23 May 2016
In reply to funalps:

Thank you. Good site that.
 tjoliver 23 May 2016
In reply to hoolabloom:

Well, it's been snowing in town today! Generally speaking, the skiing conditions up high are pretty excellent for this time of year at the moment. The arete has been disequipped but skiing down the vallee blanche shouldn't present too much problem at the moment. Bit of walking at the end, but not too much.
 Pete Houghton 25 May 2016
In reply to hoolabloom:

Big storm coming this weekend, snow up high but thunderbolts and lightning for a few days down in the valley. Freezing point is said to be somewhere around 3000-3500m, so the walk at the end of the Vallee Blanche is about to get an awful lot longer, and the skiing, whilst potentially enjoyable-enough at first, will quickly become "sporty" the further down you go.

I had a run off the Midi yesterday and, to be honest, I'm tempted to not go up again for a while, unless conditions turn out to be decent.
 Tony the Blade 25 May 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Great report Pete! I'm hoping to get onto the MdG next week, how low is the snow level? Will we get to play in the Grand Canyon (Roughly the Moules area) without snowshoes/skis?
 Pete Houghton 25 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

About two-and-a-bit km from the ladders/bubble? Shouldn't be a problem I'd expect, I didn't actually see the Mer de Glace yesterday as I was on the west face, but I have seen very recent photos of people trail running on the glacier... and you could walk up to that canyon easily enough the last time I did see it, a few weeks ago.

Probably be absolutely fine...
 Tony the Blade 25 May 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Cheers Pete, thanks for the replay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...