UKC

Chamonix ski guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dave o 16 Feb 2016
Hello folks. Off to chamonix in a couple and thinking off getting a guide for a day to go for a decent tour and/or explore off the beaten track. We have all done a lot of Scottish touring.....but the whole glacier thing etc is new to us!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!
 galpinos 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:

Graham McMahon
 Rich W Parker 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:

James Thacker, Chamonix resident and all round good egg.

http://www.jamesthacker-mountaineering.co.uk/guiding-what-where/ski/

Calski 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:
I've been on a ski course with Rob Jarvis and he was great.

Heard good things about James Thacker, but haven't skied with him. Same goes for Jonny Baird.

To be honest though, it appears as though the BMG scheme does a good job at filtering out the dross, so any BMG will likely be good.
 Dave 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:

Recently spent a week with Rick Marchant on a training course and could highly recommend him. Nice guy who's lived in Chamonix a long time and very adept at finding good snow when all appears lost... I think he'd be happy passing on lots of tips as well
OP dave o 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:
Cheers folks!
 jspiller 17 Feb 2016
In reply to dave o:
Hi,i have used NEIL MACKAY ( SKiAscent) on facebook... British guide who lives over there (bmg) (ifmga)....07977632137

He does lots of ski touring and off pistes if thats what your after, ive also done some big days mountaineering with him.Give him a call tomorrow as hes currently in England for a few days ... I am going out next week for 5 days skiing, glacial movement and avalanche safety.. Hes very flexible with your needs and skill set... Hope he has time in his calender for you .. Have fun.......
Post edited at 23:19
 kenr 21 Feb 2016

Yes Rick Marchant is excellent for a wide range of skiing and climbing, and a fun guy to hang around with.
I was first impressed with how well he handled a skiing group with a wide range of abilities.

Problem is that he does so well getting business through word-of-mouth, that he does not have much of a Web presence. So might need to put some creative energy into getting ahold of him to find out if he has any dates free.
. (hint: Might be easier to contact his wife, who is also a guide around Chamonix).

Ken
Post edited at 23:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...