UKC

Cross Country Skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 11 Feb 2023

Heading out to Val D'Isere in a couple of weeks, and following a horrific road bike accident in the summer I'm not too keen on just downhill piste, so fancy trying cross country as they have a few tracks. I know I can hire the skis, but can I just wear my normal ski boots or would I hire boots too? Any tips anyone have for a first time. I spoke to to ski school to see if I could have an instructor for half a day but they are fully booked as expected. So I will be self taught....should be fun

Doug 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

You'll need to hire boots as well - completely different type of bindings, ski sticks are also much longer so you'll probably have to hire those as well. You'll also be asked if you want classic (pas alternative in French) or skating skis, the former is easier to get started (a gentle plod will work even though not very efficent or elegant) although not easier to do properly. Skating is faster & the skis glide better on the downhills but needs a minimum of technique even to get moving. But if you've downhill skied before maybe you already know how to skate on skis ?

If you can't join a class it'll probably help to look at some instructional videos, never looked but I suspect there's many on Youtube.

Post edited at 13:12
 TobyA 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

By normal ski boots I take it you mean downhill boots? In which case absolutely not! XC skis are normally about 5 cms wide and the "boots" are much closer to running shoes than they are to downhill ski boots.

It's really a very different thing to downhill skiing - the equipment is really different. It's not very hard to get going on your own - I'd try to find as flat a track to start on as possible though. Going uphill is both very hard work if you try to keep your speed up, and need some technique once steep enough for your wax/fish scale base to not grip, going downhill feels super-precarious compared to downhill skiing - remember you are only attached to the skis by a 2 cm wire bar under your toes. Falling doesn't normally hurt too much, except if you crash when going downhill at speed - that's why starting on as flat terrain as possible helps.

RobAJones 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

> I know I can hire the skis, but can I just wear my normal ski boots or would I hire boots too?

You will have to hire boots as well. On the plus side (in Austria) Cross Country equipment is much cheaper than downhill kit to hire,  the price of boots+skis was only a few euros more than skis only and it should be much easier to get cross country boots that are comfortable. 

>Any tips anyone have for a first time. 

The only thing I'd to Toby's comments is that the time of the day makes a big difference, especially if it's sunny. Sections that could be intimidating when icy can be quite pleasant when they have softened up and a falling is less painful. 

OP supersteve 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Thanks for the quick replies. I will head to Mattis Sports and have a chat with them when I arrive. There is a XC course up at the Manchet and I think there is one up the Fornet - will be nice to try something different. Will get myself more organised for next year and book a couple of days with a guide for an intro to touring. 

Jack Geldard 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Hi Steve,

I agree with everything already said. Another thing to consider is that the clothing best suited to XC is also very different to resort skiing. It’s more akin to going for a chilly jog than ‘skiing’, so thin gloves, soft shell pants and a wind proof jacket with a base layer would be a good set up, as opposed to thick ski stuff. Add a headband and some 80s style MTB sunglasses and you will look like a pro straight away!

Hiring the kit is relatively cheap, as is the ‘ski pass’ - so I’d just hire a job lot and they will fit it all to you. Like with normal skiing you need the correct length skis and poles for your height etc. 

Hope you enjoy!

Jack

OP supersteve 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jack Geldard:

Good call on the clothes. Will take some lighter kit. My wife says whatever I wear I look English....

Doug 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

forgot about clothes, if you're a cyclist think about taking cycling tights & tops - xc skiing is a bit like gentle jogging or easy cycling for most people so dress as you would for cycling in winter. But be aware that early morning, especially in the shade, it might be cold. As with cycling, going uphill is hot, but the windchill on long downhills can be considerable. For example this morning when I left the carpark at about 9h30 it was -6° (but sunny) rising to just above 0° by 11 & plus something by the time I stopped at 12h30.

TobyA 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

> Good call on the clothes. Will take some lighter kit.

Yep, you don't need to much. I've only ever track skied in Finland, and even when it's really cold -15 to -20 sort of cold, you still don't need that much. If it is really cold though (no idea how cold it could be in France at that time) just be a little bit wary that you can get frost nip in odd places. I haven't read it, but I believe in his autobiography Prince Harry makes reference to this happening!

yorkshireman 11 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I'm at 1100m in the Vercors and it's been pretty cold lately (yesterday morning was -12° before the sun hit the slopes) but it's getting warmer. The bigger problem is lack of fresh snow  However the OP is a beginner likely joining a group so will spend a larger proportion of time standing around, so I would argue should err on the warm side when it comes to clothes. They can always take off a layer. 

The key thing is to have close fitting clothes. No baggy stuff. Enjoy, once you get the hang of it, gilding through a snowy forest under your own steam is great and after living in the Alps for 10 years I've come to prefer it to piste skiing most of the time. 

ExiledScot 11 Feb 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

+1, I'd recommend having the choice of mitts or gloves, as novices tend to over grip the poles, or don't release the fingers each time, straps too tight etc.. it all makes hand circulation worse.

Post edited at 19:44
 ExiledScot 11 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

If you're doing any kind of recovery exercises from your crash anything which emphasises balance and length strength will greatly help your nordic skiing. Weight transfer and coordination will gain your more distance than brute force. Lunges, balance balls, core stability work etc.. google up a few videos about diagonal technique and double poling. It's a dark art, but master the basics and you might just find it strangely addictive.

Watch for corners and icy descents, don't be afraid to lift a ski out the track and half plough, or even just pop the skis off and run down the side. Fast downhill corners take time to master. 

Brass Nipples 12 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Enjoy, you’ll notice how much quieter it is than downhill skiing.  Lightweight aerobic clothing with windproof front and breathable back work well. Things like Vapourise are a good choice for it.

ianstevens 12 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Sounds like you need some bright colours and a dyanfit headband

OP supersteve 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

I have biking tops to that spec. Looks like I will pack some winter riding and running kit. 

OP supersteve 24 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Just had a great week cross country skiing in Val D'Isere. Some lovely well made tracks which are nice and quiet in the mornings. Perfect sunny, crisp conditions. Watching the piste skiers sliding on icy slushy mess, I'm glad with my choice. Took me a couple of days to master, but once I got it going it's a pleasant way to pass through the mountains. 

Doug 25 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

Glad you enjoyed it, hopefully at least some of the advice above was useful.

HeMa 25 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

People make such a fuzz about it. Modern skin skis make the classic style something even a toddler can learn (albeit really mastering it will take more time).

And Skate style is not much harder… unless you’re as uncoordinated as I am… and unfit.

OP supersteve 25 Feb 2023
In reply to Doug:

The downhill advice was well utilised. Downhill sections I often popped a ski out of the track to help control speed, and a couple of steeper sections I just popped the skis off and jogged down. Hiring the kit is also super cheap - €59 for the week plus no ski pass required. More money to spend on beer! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...