UKC

Dave Riding-New Hero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 22 Jan 2022

Am I hearing correctly on the radio? (Hence my spelling may be wrong)

Have we really won a gold in Kitzbuehl ?

Great stuff.

OP veteye 22 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Yes definitely Slalom Gold Medal!

n1ge 23 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

First ever British world cup skiing gold. Huge achievement. Can't believe this is buried so low down on the sports page of the bbc website. Hopefully will be shown on ski sunday this evening.

OP veteye 23 Jan 2022
In reply to n1ge:

I'll be out, but hopefully I'll be able to watch on iPlayer at some point. 

We should be so proud. It was obviously the early experience skiing round sheep that did it.

Siward 23 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Excellent! I've been watching Dave for what seems like years on Ski Sunday (I never tire of the theme tune) and he's always been in the middle somewhere, not matching those Swiss and Austrians. A real achievement for him to win. 

In reply to veteye:

> Have we really won a gold in Kitzbuehl ?

No, "we" haven't. But Dave has. Kudos to him.

Seymore Butt 23 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Great result from a guy who learnt his skills on Pendle dry ski slope.You have to see this slope to understand what I mean. 

Sean Kelly 23 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Yes Ski Sunday from Kitzbuehl on at 8pm tonight.

ripper 23 Jan 2022
In reply to Siward:

To be fair, 'always in the middle somewhere' was already a massive achievement, and I don't just mean considering where he came from. That sort of consistency surely puts him on a par with almost anyone from the alpine/Nordic nations? Winning in Kitzbuhel is the cherry on the icing on the cake.

summo 24 Jan 2022
In reply to ripper:

Indeed consistently in the top 30 in the world isn't a bad position. For a brit to win at Kitzbuhel is the equiv of winning the us open, but his name barely made the news. 

We shouldn't forget Andrew Musgrave who often places in the top 10 in nordic skiing, as well as some other emerging talent. A bronze snowboarding at the x games at the weekend too. 

Alyson 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Siward:

He has been on the podium before, which in itself was an incredible achievement, but I must admit I never expected to see him get gold. (I'm sorry I doubted you Dave!) Couldn't be happier for him. His second run was outstanding - didn't put a ski wrong in conditions so challenging they got the better of others. 

Dave Garnett 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Alyson:

Brilliant skiing!

His second run starts at 6.00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013x5z/ski-sunday-2022-23012022

Sean Kelly 24 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

I was blown away by the free skiing that featured later in the program. The descent from that monster peak in Alaska was gut churning, but brilliant too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...