Anybody got any ideas ? Driving from Cumbria . I’m toying with the idea of ferry from hull maybe but I’m open to suggestions ?
As I understand it, as of 3rd January, you can now go via Germany without having to quarantine, as we no longer appear to be an area of virus variant (assuming that you’re all fully vaccinated, ie triple jabbed). So, Ostend, Belgium, Munich, Austria…?
When are you travelling?
I read that there is a meeting in France on Wednesday next week, where I'm hoping they may say if/when they are opening to tourists. Subject to meeting vaccination and negative test rules etc.
Sure the Netherlands shut down access to us Brits shortly after France did, so therefore no alternative route until either of these open up again.
only solution is to fly direct to Italy.
> Transit through Netherlands in a 12hr window is permitted.
Might be worth reading the below on the NL Gov site.
“You are travelling to an EU country/Schengen area country via the Netherlands. You must be able to show you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question. You can do this with a note verbale from that country’s embassy, for example, or another type of document that proves you can travel there. If you do not have such a document, the Dutch border authorities will determine whether you may travel via the Netherlands. Without a document showing you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question, you are advised to fly there directly and not via the Netherlands. If you will be making a short stop at a Dutch airport you may need an airport transit visa. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area”.
The above paragraph but me off booking a ferry before Xmas, flew direct to Italy rather than take the chance.
Hopefully this situation will change in the next week or so.
Only if you have residency for the country you wish to travel to & also you entered the Uk in the week prior to the Xmas holiday.
so basically only a small amount of Uk passport holders who have residency in a bordering EU country to France.
you can transit the Netherlands by road , I know many who have done this recently
Also confirmed by DFDS the ferry company
This might not be such a problem soon:
Although the new issue will be what happens if you do contract coronavirus while there and it might mean a quarantine hotel. Friends have told me that currently, Chamonix has it pretty bad.
There’s a report in the Telegraph online saying that Attal’s comments about easing the restrictions “a little bit” probably relate to essential business travel. The headline explicitly says no ski holidays yet. I think all these reports are really various spins on a pretty vague comment but given the current infection rate, the political pressure on Macron to act tough and what I’m hearing from French friends I’m assuming it will be a few weeks yet before skiing holidays will be possible.
I’d be happy to be wrong - we are booked to go next weekend but given the practicalities of Covid testing we probably need a decision be Wednesday…
in reply to comments about Scotish ski ing : I’ve been lots and I’ve taken the kids lots , I almost went for the day today but something came up but will be up soon . I wouldn’t however book a week or more off work and accommodation etc on the off chance we would get a few days out of it .
In reply to mike123 its probably the first time ive considered booking through crystal too, my wife has done this quite a lot and fealt comfortable with how they would perform.
I think im now mostly concerned by the rules regarding infection whilst away. Currently Italy will require staying (possibly) in a quarantine hotel. Im not really sure how a normal hotel would react to someone being ill and if they would let them stay in their room. Or even if you would be let onto your transfer to get home. Its all very unclear and i dont like that lack of clarity.
I think before i book anything ill be wanting to know what the deal is if i get coronavirus whilst away and what my options would be, as getting stuck away whilst ill isnt something i would like to risk.
Still waiting patiently